Login

russian armor

Maxim crew wtf.

11 Jul 2013, 00:47 AM

Do you even really play the game. HAve you ever seen the videos of the wtf maxims. No suppression..? Really? why dont you try that yourself. You will be suppressed and also killed, quickly may I add.

People were not as much complaining about 2 of the aspects they nerfed but the fact it is insuppressible, and due to crew size hard to counter with mortars,snipers, whilst being near invincible vs infantry when in a building. I don't think anyone saw the mg42 getting a 4th squad member or a straight up damage nerf for the maxim.

How is mg42 op and maxim not? The only thing mg42 did better was suppress and had a wider firing arc, which was insignificant when it has a long set up time compared to the Maxim. Maxim had quick set up time, crew size, damage output,range nearly of a sniper, speed, and still suppressed infantry, but only also killing them.

The mg42 has instant suppression over a massive arc and inside buildings can totally lock down an entire area from any infantry. Thats the job of the mg42, as a defensive unit. That is something the maxim can not even hope to do. The maxim has trouble suppressing one squad of infantry...

The maxim is meant to be an offensive support unit, which it does well. It can easily be flanked and with a little micro it will never get a shot off at u up close. You literally can rush it with 2 units and one will def be able to flank it before being suppressed. I know because it happens against me all the time. This is a learn to play problem, other then crew size and packing speed, the mg42 is better in almost every aspect.
11 Jul 2013, 00:53 AM

Yes, we do tend to complain quite a bit. Somethings are not as valid as others, but I feel these changes are. In history, the MG-42 is vastly superior to the maxim machine gun in almost, if not every way. Yes, that would break balancing, but that wasn't the reason why we were complaining about the maxim.

People were using the maxim as a combat infantry unit. With the 1 second setup and pickup times, you could quite easily face any threat trying to flank you. One of the major points of Company of Heroes is to outmaneuver the enemy. If the maxim can prevent any flanking attempt, that in essence breaks COH's ideology of the game. With it's damage previously, it could run into an MG-42 firing at it, setup, and kill the MG-42 with some extra men to spare.

To say you have no viable counter to german mg, and mg bunker resource lockdown/spam suggests you have not fully explored resources available to the soviets. The much despised clown car and flame engineers can quickly destroy any MG team, even in buildings. The MG-bunker requires both manpower and munitions, as well has a smaller firing arc. You can flank it as it has no method of changing direction or moving. (If you're talking about pripyat, it's more about the level than the balance)

For me personally, it's not about the tactics that people play, but the fact that some things destroy the very idea of COH, like maneuvering.

P.S. Saying the MG can be made off the bat is like saying the clown car, or maxim can be made of the bat. It still requires a building to produce. It's just that almost every Ostheer player builds the building first, as the soviets have the option to delay the first building for quick map superiority.

P.P.S I also dislike how you copied and pasted your post into several different threads, word for word. That is a personal opinion.

You are assuming the maxim was designed to be used like the mg42 as a defensive unit, it was implicitly stated by relic that it was designed as an offensive unit to be moved with infantry on the go. Hence its speed and packing time, yet bad suppression and terrible firing arc.

If you cant flank a maxim then your micro is terrible. Two squads, run toward the maxim (dont even need to bother flanking it outright) one or both will be able to run right past it without being suppressed, if he starts packing up, move behind him, repeat and repeat until hes dead or retreats. Its not rocket science, it happens to me all the time.
11 Jul 2013, 01:02 AM

You are assuming the maxim was designed to be used like the mg42 as a defensive unit, it was implicitly stated by relic that it was designed as an offensive unit to be moved with infantry on the go. Hence its speed and packing time, yet bad suppression and terrible firing arc.

If you cant flank a maxim then your micro is terrible. Two squads, run toward the maxim (dont even need to bother flanking it outright) one or both will be able to run right past it without being suppressed, if he starts packing up, move behind him, repeat and repeat until hes dead or retreats. Its not rocket science, it happens to me all the time.

I would refrain for saying someone is bad when you don't understand the full situation. It's very hard to flank something that can pick up very quickly and turn. The situation you describe has valid points, but implies that I have more infantry than he has maxims. It's very hard to flank when they spam maxims and have as much as you have infantry. They can do so because they know they can toe to toe against any Ostheer early infantry, and its far easier since the Ostheer only has a 1 second (pre-patch) window before the maxim can pickup and setup. StephannJF mentioned this in another post, but the lack of infantry small arms damage also gives the maxim plenty of time to move away and set-up again without needing to retreat. With grenades also being somewhat unreliable, the amount of skill and practice required to defeat this strategy is not proportionate to the ease of spamming maxims.

Also, you mentioned it yourself when you described the maxim as an offensive SUPPORT unit. The pre-patch (I am not sure of the post-patch capabilities) maxim was able to be an offensive INFANTRY unit, where as they could replace conscripts with maxims with little to no detriment.
11 Jul 2013, 01:03 AM

This is some high level shit man, who would have thought that flanking MGs with no packup time could be that hard.

Maybe.... maybe.... if they built 2 mgs to back up each other, then they would easily cover both squads, not to mention pull back the first mg.

Most of us in coh2.org have played coh1 so we would know how to flank an MG42 tyvm.
11 Jul 2013, 01:07 AM

I would refrain for saying someone is bad when you don't understand the full situation. It's very hard to flank something that can pick up very quickly and turn. The situation you describe has valid points, but implies that I have more infantry than he has maxims. It's very hard to flank when they spam maxims and have as much as you have infantry. They can do so because they know they can toe to toe against any Ostheer early infantry, and its far easier since the Ostheer only has a 1 second (pre-patch) window before the maxim can pickup and setup. StephannJF mentioned this in another post, but the lack of infantry small arms damage also gives the maxim plenty of time to move away and set-up again without needing to retreat. With grenades also being somewhat unreliable, the amount of skill and practice required to defeat this strategy is not proportionate to the ease of spamming maxims.

I can see how mulitple maxims set up facing ur infantry can be an issue, but this is very resource heavy for the soviet and makes him very suceptable to any form of armor, light or otherwise, not to mention a good microed german can easily come up from behind and stay on top of the maxims with his infantry, or outright rush the maxims. The pack up time is not so fast that u dont have time to countinue running circles around the maxim. not to mention scout cars, and halftracks chew up maxims. Once your armor is on the field the maxim spammer will be at a huge disadvantage.
11 Jul 2013, 01:08 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jul 2013, 01:03 AMhubewa

This is some high level shit man, who would have thought that flanking MGs with no packup time could be that hard.

Maybe.... maybe.... if they built 2 mgs to back up each other, then they would easily cover both squads, not to mention pull back the first mg.

Most of us in coh2.org have played coh1 so we would know how to flank an MG42 tyvm.

Except nobody is talking about flanking an mg42, and maxims have a packup time, it was never anywhere near instant. Might want to get your facts straight kiddo before posting
11 Jul 2013, 01:08 AM

I can see how mulitple maxims set up facing ur infantry can be an issue, but this is very resource heavy for the soviet and makes him very suceptable to any form of armor, light or otherwise, not to mention a good microed german can easily come up from behind and stay on top of the maxims with his infantry, or outright rush the maxims. The pack up time is not so fast that u dont have time to countinue running circles around the maxim. not to mention scout cars, and halftracks chew up maxims. Once your armor is on the field the maxim spammer will be at a huge disadvantage.

You joking?

The ZIS can be built from the same building -_-

And if you deny him from fuel, what armour is he going to have?
11 Jul 2013, 01:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jul 2013, 01:08 AMhubewa

You joking?

The ZIS can be built from the same building -_-

And if you deny him from fuel, what armour is he going to have?

Half tracks and scout cars dont require mass amounts of fuel and u can get out mg42s a lot faster then he can get out maxims, if the fuel resources arent mg42 covered before his maxims arrived thats your bad
11 Jul 2013, 01:11 AM

Half tracks and scout cars dont require mass amounts of fuel and u can get out mg42s a lot faster then he can get out maxims, if the fuel resources arent mg42 covered before his maxims arrived thats your bad
11 Jul 2013, 01:15 AM

It's actually not as resource heavy for the soviets as you describe. It costs as much as a conscript squad, and handles infantry better than conscripts. It is not unfathomable to see 4-6 maxims on the field within the first 5-6 minutes of the game. hubewa also mentions a couple of good points. With the maxim spam you can easily control the entire map, denying your opponent fuel for any armor. You also have AT guns and conscript's AT nades to prevent any vehicular approaches. You have to not only consider the combat effectiveness of the unit, but also the speed of deployment, as can build the maxim immediately.
11 Jul 2013, 01:16 AM

It's actually not as resource heavy for the soviets as you describe. It costs as much as a conscript squad, and handles infantry better than conscripts. It is not unfathomable to see 4-6 maxims on the field within the first 5-6 minutes of the game. hubewa also mentions a couple of good points. With the maxim spam you can easily control the entire map, denying your opponent fuel for any armor. You also have AT guns and conscript's AT nades to prevent any vehicular approaches. You have to not only consider the combat effectiveness of the unit, but also the speed of deployment, as can build the maxim immediately.

We cannot build the maxim immediatley, germans can build the mg right off the bat. Germans will have mgs on the field way faster then a russian will have a single maxim. If the fuel points dont have mg42s on them before the maxims arrive, then the german player is not playing right
11 Jul 2013, 01:19 AM

We cannot build the maxim immediatley, germans can build the mg right off the bat. Germans will have mgs on the field way faster then a russian will have a single maxim. If the fuel points dont have mg42s on them before the maxims arrive, then the german player is not playing right

That is simply incorrect. The soviet player can build the maxim just as quickly as the MG-42. Both units require a building to produce. Both factions can build said building immediately with their first engineer/pioneer.
11 Jul 2013, 01:21 AM

Except nobody is talking about flanking an mg42, and maxims have a packup time, it was never anywhere near instant. Might want to get your facts straight kiddo before posting

At the end of this post along with many others you've made, I have concluded that you are a troll.
11 Jul 2013, 01:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jul 2013, 01:21 AMhubewa

At the end of this post along with many others you've made, I have concluded that you are a troll.

Let me explain this to you both, the building to build a maxim for the soviets is t2 and costs 240 manpower and 50 fuel, that is not going to be able to be built until way after the first german building costing 80 manpower and 10 fuel (the building required for mg42). Understand how mgs will be out much faster?

Did I really need to clarify this very basic fact?
11 Jul 2013, 01:28 AM

I point to my previous post
11 Jul 2013, 01:30 AM

Let me explain this to you both, the building to build a maxim for the soviets is t2 and costs 240 manpower and 50 fuel, that is not going to be able to be built until way after the first german building costing 80 manpower and 10 fuel (the building required for mg42). Understand how mgs will be out much faster?

Did I really need to clarify this very basic fact?

The soviets can build T2 straight off the bat from their starting resources, just like the German T1. (The Soviet's starting resources are higher, but I know you can build T2 with your initial engie because I've built T2 first before)

The problem is not the maxim being an aggressive unit, the problem is the maxim, with it's six man crew and instant set up/pack up time becomes a viable combat unit. There is a difference between combat units and aggressive units.

Put it this way, if you push a Maxim into a firing MG42 with the old patch, the Maxim wins.
11 Jul 2013, 01:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jul 2013, 01:30 AMhubewa

The soviets can build T2 straight off the bat from their starting resources, just like the German T1. (The Soviet's starting resources are higher, but I know you can build T2 with your initial engie because I've built T2 first before)

The problem is not the maxim being an aggressive unit, the problem is the maxim, with it's six man crew and instant set up/pack up time becomes a viable combat unit. There is a difference between combat units and aggressive units.

Put it this way, if you push a Maxim into a firing MG42 with the old patch, the Maxim wins.

Lets say u did build the t2 right off the bat, and use all your resources, and have no units capping, and no units made to start capping, it would then be a good bit of time before you would have enough viable resources to start actually making any maxims with no capped points to work with. By that time the german player will not only be ahead in territory, but also in resources and units, and will already have the lead. Just because you CAN do it, doesnt mean you should.

For all intensive purposes, the mg42 will be on the field much faster then the maxim, and should already be covering the fuel points.

Also, again, the maxim does not now and never has had an instant pack up time. Please understand this. It was always alittle over a second. Which is a lot in game time
11 Jul 2013, 01:39 AM

That's no different from the Ostheer where they build their first building "off the bat", leaving no units to capture.
11 Jul 2013, 01:42 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jul 2013, 01:30 AMhubewa

Thats what you guys dont get, the maxim SHOULD win in a fire fight between the two because it is an aggressive unit made for killing.

I will tell you something the mg42 can do that the maxim cant even come close to doing. Sit in a building or choke point and lock down an entire area from any infantry no matter how many by instantly suppressing everything in a massive radious
11 Jul 2013, 01:43 AM

That's no different from the Ostheer where they build their first building "off the bat", leaving no units to capture.

Except a t2 building takes longer to build then the osthers first building and the osther have many more resources after they are done to start building mgs with then the soviets who just blew ALL their resources on a t2 building.... compared to 80 manpower and 10 fuel for the germans
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★