Login

russian armor

PanzerGrenadiers

3 Jul 2013, 17:33 PM

Just a comment. I had about three or 4 squads of PanzerGrenadiers with Panzerschrecks. This was pretty expensive 360 for the PG's and 120 munitions for the Schrecks. But, it really didn't matter what type of tanks the Red Army spammed and threw at me. The PG's systematically took them out at range. A couple of MG's and an AT gun or two and it's pretty unstoppable. Allows you to beat them down so badly that you can start making your own tanks.
4 Jul 2013, 09:19 AM

PGrens tend to form the backbone of my midgame army, I tend to pair them up with a panzer or 2 as they seem to be good at taking out AT units
4 Jul 2013, 16:47 PM

hmm when those things happen to me i usualy spam mgs, make an at or an unit with a barrage ability like the tank that goes with the su 85 and barrage the hell out of the infantry. penal battalions to trow satchel and keep my su 85 at the back since i will only fight infantry.
9 Jul 2013, 09:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jul 2013, 17:33 PMDDay
Just a comment. I had about three or 4 squads of PanzerGrenadiers with Panzerschrecks. This was pretty expensive 360 for the PG's and 120 munitions for the Schrecks. But, it really didn't matter what type of tanks the Red Army spammed and threw at me. The PG's systematically took them out at range. A couple of MG's and an AT gun or two and it's pretty unstoppable. Allows you to beat them down so badly that you can start making your own tanks.

Hardly unstoppable. You must have been playing a new player who didn't support his tanks. Play someone who knows how to play and try and beat Russian tanks backed up with Conscripts with PPSH's and Guard Riflemen
16 Jul 2013, 06:25 AM

they are horrible versus infantry when double shrecked so I reckon they are fine
Ojy
18 Jul 2013, 17:08 PM

how did you even manage to get so many muni's and so much monpower?
by the time u had all those pg's the game was probably over anyway.
23 Jul 2013, 08:13 AM

First time poster here-

It actually works pretty well- so long as you don't get any grens or tier 1 units. It's worked for me twice now. I start pio-spamming, and get 4 (mathematically, this works out the maximum number while getting the fastest possible t2. No t1. I typically try to secure 1 fuel and 1 munitions.

Then, build t2. I go for a pgren first, followed by a scout car. The scout car (no upgun) is typically enough to chase away a clown car or sniper car from the pgrens, (and up till now they've been killing cheap pios, not grens). From there- ownage. I have a replay myself (still figuring out how to upload), but instead check out the featured replay-
23 Jul 2013, 22:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jul 2013, 17:33 PMDDay

If you can field 4 PGs simultaneously and upgrade them all with shreks, you have already won because your opponent must have been AFK.

Plus you would be ridiculously vulnerable to snipers. :(
24 Jul 2013, 14:25 PM

First time poster here-

It actually works pretty well- so long as you don't get any grens or tier 1 units. It's worked for me twice now. I start pio-spamming, and get 4 (mathematically, this works out the maximum number while getting the fastest possible t2. No t1. I typically try to secure 1 fuel and 1 munitions.

Then, build t2. I go for a pgren first, followed by a scout car. The scout car (no upgun) is typically enough to chase away a clown car or sniper car from the pgrens, (and up till now they've been killing cheap pios, not grens). From there- ownage. I have a replay myself (still figuring out how to upload), but instead check out the featured replay-

It only works well if the player doesn't change his strategy to meet the threat. When facing 1 or 2 PG's I use a couple of snipers, but when I start seeing 3 PG squads I see what's happening, build a Support building and bring out Maxims. They destroy PG's. And if I see loads of Pioneers about early that's a dead give away that you're gonna get spammed by PG's.

I got PG spammed once and lost only because I never changed my strategy. That was a hard lesson learnt. PG spam used to worry me now I say bring it on as it's so easy to counter with Maxims and I love that the player is using all his manpower while dying to my snipers and cheap to build Maxims.

Oh and the free PanzerShreks for my units is a nice bonus. Play me with your strat I'm up for it.
25 Jul 2013, 00:39 AM

First time poster here-

That sounds awful. Pioneers are a terrible unit and against an aggressive soviet player, you'd have no resources. if the soviet player went T2 and had maxims, you'd be completely fucked.
25 Jul 2013, 14:03 PM

It only works well if the player doesn't change his strategy to meet the threat. When facing 1 or 2 PG's I use a couple of snipers, but when I start seeing 3 PG squads I see what's happening, build a Support building and bring out Maxims. They destroy PG's. And if I see loads of Pioneers about early that's a dead give away that you're gonna get spammed by PG's.

I got PG spammed once and lost only because I never changed my strategy. That was a hard lesson learnt. PG spam used to worry me now I say bring it on as it's so easy to counter with Maxims and I love that the player is using all his manpower while dying to my snipers and cheap to build Maxims.

Oh and the free PanzerShreks for my units is a nice bonus. Play me with your strat I'm up for it.
If you built both T-1 and T-2 as soviets you are going to be way behind the tech curve when your opponent gets a PZIV before you can even build your T-3 or T-4 building. Personally if I was going to fast T-2 I wouldn't just spam PzGrens, I'd add a flamer halftrack or upgunned 222 depending on whether or not I see scout cars or lots of support weapons.
25 Jul 2013, 14:42 PM

If you built both T-1 and T-2 as soviets you are going to be way behind the tech curve when your opponent gets a PZIV before you can even build your T-3 or T-4 building. Personally if I was going to fast T-2 I wouldn't just spam PzGrens, I'd add a flamer halftrack or upgunned 222 depending on whether or not I see scout cars or lots of support weapons.

You wouldn't be behind. You just back-tech. Conscripts with PPSH and Hit the Dirt can deal with the first wave of PG's then you build the tank building get an SU-85 out then build a support building for Maxims. Or another way don't build a support building at all and spam snipers, they cost the same as PG's. 3 sniper squads backing up Conscripts with HTD is lethal.
26 Jul 2013, 04:45 AM
30 Jul 2013, 17:42 PM

You wouldn't be behind. You just back-tech. Conscripts with PPSH and Hit the Dirt can deal with the first wave of PG's then you build the tank building get an SU-85 out then build a support building for Maxims. Or another way don't build a support building at all and spam snipers, they cost the same as PG's. 3 sniper squads backing up Conscripts with HTD is lethal.
All good points. I normally use the Mortar halftrack incendiary barrage on HTD conscripts if I've picked one of the doctrines with it. Otherwise flame halftrack or flame pios are a good counter.

In my experience the fast T2 Pzgren spam doesn't work if your opponent gets a fast T70 or gets shocks + SU-85.
30 Jul 2013, 19:31 PM

3pio->tier 2 is pretty blah on Kholodny but it's decent on the big maps, especially on Moscow the retreat-killing of pgrens and scout car speed/kiting really comes into its own.

It's a matter of the timing, really, the pgrens will always be out before HTD and PPSHs, the scout car can hit the field and be upgunned before guards arrive and the FHT is available straight away if you see a maxim spammer. The early pio engagements also let you see cheesy play before you commit to your combat units.

If the Russian player knows it's coming before the game starts, a conscript spam could possibly be really nasty. Otherwise, you tend to get a little window of vulnerability once the Soviet cottons on followed by a fairly reliable resurgence.

Shocks aren't a problem (they're fairly expensive and scout cars can just pick at them), you're generally better able to counter maxims on a big map than T1, though the new patch MG changes may fix that a little. Snipers are tough but you also have better answers to them than a T1 opening so I think it balances. T-70 has never been a problem for me.

Preemptive shrek in a building to stall + a teller if I've had the munitions, then grab an Ostwind or a P-IV. SU-85s are actually pretty tough just because they are fairly good at sniping pgrens and you're not going to do much damage with shreks if the Soviet player's half-decent on open maps like Minsk and Moscow.

Tier 1 has some good things, and it's a safer build but Tier 2 is OK on the right map and is really well equipped to punish cheese.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★