Login

russian armor

Noob tips for fighting tanks

28 Jan 2016, 07:43 AM

Hi peeps

I am a noob. That is a fact. And I am not good at this game. So can someone please give me some very basic (kiddie level) tips on fighting Axis tanks. If u have something u do every game verse armor or tips that are relatively easy to micro in regards to tank battles I would love it! Cheers guys
28 Jan 2016, 08:08 AM

There are two important values:

Armour - Affects the chance of a weapon to penetrate.
HP - How much damage they can take if a weapon does penetrate.

There is no side-armour. Half of every vehicle/tank has a front-armour value which is much higher than the other half with the rear armour value. You want to flank and shoot the rear section of the tank for greater chances of penetrating hits.

Some weapons will do some damage if they deflect, but a hit has to penetrate to do full damage.

Angle does not otherwise affect your chances (no such thing as a glancing shot).

The further away you are from the target, the worse your chances of penetrating. Allied tank destroyers will still have a reasonable chance though, and should generally be kept at a distance due their low armour and HP. To get tanks like Shermans in close, use their smoke ability to shield their approach, or use a mortar to drop smoke.

Your tanks will be less accurate on the move. It can be beneficial to stop them just before they shoot.
28 Jan 2016, 08:32 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

In addition to what Cyanara already wrote, I'll add mines. If you can put engine damage on an enemy tank it will usually die. The mines that the M20 lays are very powerful.
Riflemen have anti-tank grenades as a vet 1 unlock, but make sure only to use those when the tanks are already partially damaged or you won't score a damaged engine crit.
28 Jan 2016, 08:51 AM

1a- Keep your tanks at distance unless you're 120% sure to finish him.
1b- Learn what are your max distance for each tank.
2- Never be too greedy (100% sure to finish him is being too greedy), 80% of your lose are because you are too greedy.
3- Learn your reload times (Sherman/M36/M30), be sure you're always stopped when firing. learn to Fire-move-stop-fire-move-stop-etc...
4- Learn hotkeys for going backward, stop move, attack move, attack ground, focus tank and decrew.
5- You can attack ground if your target his hidden by fog of war or smoke or a carcass/tree/some field elements. attack ground where your target his let you have a good hit from time to time. But don't get too greedy.
5a- Never charge with your tanks alone, always have infantry spotting for them. Learn the hotkey for the Rifle Anti-tank grenade.
5b- have two groups, one for your tanks, one for your inf and make sure your tanks follow your infantry and not the other way around.

mantra to repeat everytime you have a tankfight:
6a- There is always a pak or a raken somewhere hidden behind his tank, always know where it is.
6b- Its the pak/raken you didn't see that kill you.
7- Always check your 6, 3 and 9 o'clock, guess what if not: you've been flanked.
31 Jan 2016, 00:26 AM

Don't forget that USF tanks can get out and repair a damaged engine/gun/etc for a little bit of munis, get back in, and drive away. You can also put veteran crews in a new vehicle to carry over (some) veterancy.
3 Feb 2016, 00:25 AM

Something cheeky I like to do is add vehicle crews w zooks so if ur losing the fight and fleeing and the enemy panzer gives chase I pop out my crew forcing the enemy to manually use attack order while also having a chance to kill the panzer.
3 Feb 2016, 01:19 AM

1. Support your tanks with infantry.
2. Don't rush your tank into the fog of war unless you're completely sure of the enemy's whereabouts.
3. Keep your frontal armor towards the enemy.
4. Always reverse your tank if retreating. The times you save time by turning around to utilize your forward speed are little to none.
5. If you want to repair, unless you're completely aware of the enemy's position, pull back to the base.
6. Don't chase to finish off tanks. There are some times that you think the trade is worth it, your tank for his, but you need to give it a second thought.More often than not, the trade is not worth it, for many reasons.
7. Stop your tank before firing a shot. If you're moving you are receiving a 50% penalty to your accuracy, which is obviously bad, especially vs already hard to damage axis tanks.
8. Use your tank for it's intended purpose. Don't try to penetrate panthers with the Sherman (even with AP rounds) nor build T-34/76s to fight tanks head on. Keep your tanks on their designated job, and use your other units to deal with the rest. (For example keep your sherman on HE shells, ignore the enemy PanzerIV, and keep clearing those squads. Use bazookas or AT guns for the panzer).
9. A snared/fausted tank is a dead tank. Be sure to have repairs nearby and, more ideally, keep your distance from infantry that can destroy your engine.
10. Sweep for mines before you charge in.

That's all I can think off right now. Have fun :D
3 Feb 2016, 01:28 AM
Donator 11

4. Always reverse your tank if retreating. The times you save time by turning around to utilize your forward speed are little to none.

The conclusion is true but the premise is not. In this game forward speed and acceleration actually equals reverse speed and acceleration! For all vehicles! Furthermore game engine doesnt allow to change that. Meaning that yeah, turning is completely pointless and one should always face the enemy, not the direction of move.
3 Feb 2016, 10:00 AM

The conclusion is true but the premise is not. In this game forward speed and acceleration actually equals reverse speed and acceleration! For all vehicles! Furthermore game engine doesnt allow to change that. Meaning that yeah, turning is completely pointless and one should always face the enemy, not the direction of move.

Crap! 1500h in this game and I though there was a difference! Oh well, thanks for pointing that out.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★