Login

russian armor

Issue with selecting units

3 Jul 2013, 08:09 AM

I am a SC2 player where microing units is very fast. I'm quite new to COH2 and this fast play when selecting units is not working as good as I wanted. Often I select accidentally the wrong untis or too many units when they are close to each other.

2 questions
- when you select a squad, do you click on the small shield above the squad or the squad's men itself?
- do some of you experience the same as me?

Maybe I have to just click better and take more time for it. :)
3 Jul 2013, 08:15 AM

Mostly I click on the Squadmembers, EXCEPT if they stand very near together :D
If I have 4 Squads near eachother and want to split them it gets messy. My tip: dont try to select more than one Squad at once. Just click every single one and give the order.
Don't try to select them with click and drag. It feels amazing if you manage to select exactly the Squads you wanted, but for me it almost never works on the first try.

I think you will get used to it with a litte bit of experience :D. It is sometimes... confusing. Sometimes the Squad is pretty spread out (for example if you retreat, and one of the members gets blocked by a tank).
3 Jul 2013, 08:19 AM

Well, in SC2 people tend to only set group keys to units that are not with the main army.
In CoH2 i have every unit on a group-key unless i have 2 always moving together, than i put them on one key together.

If i need to select a squad i don't have hotkey for i will just klick on the banner above the unit, because figuring out which one on the top of the screen i have to click takes to long in my opinion. It helps that the hotkey also is displayed on the banner above the unit. to fast get what key you need.

edit: if you want to split units try this:

select all -> move order -> deselect one squad -> move order -> deselect one squad -> move order -> .. and so on.
It's micro intensive but effective.
3 Jul 2013, 08:28 AM

I use the click and drag selection very much to select very fast single squads or units. This works faster for me and is very difficult to break the habit.

Now I often click and drag all the units and select the right squad in the selection section below in the screen. Then I make no mistakes when clicking. But I think the fastest way is to just click the squad you want, but apperantly for me this doesnt work well.
3 Jul 2013, 08:40 AM

I want to give an example where it goes often wrong.

I attack with the following:
mg
conscripts
conscripts
engineers
They are very close to each other on this moment

A scoutcar arrives and I want to quickly whohra and trow antitank grenades to it. I quickly try to hold ctrl and click on the conscripts to select the 2 squads. Then I quickly press the hotkeys for whorha and 2 times for granades and select the scoutcar

This sometimes doesnt work because I cannot get the squad selected. I click but nothing happends. I think I miss-clicked it then but its so annoying. Its almost like the game does not register my mouse click.

edit: also when squads are close to each other and I want to very quickly select a squad to retriet (click+R), I often miss the click. Result: wrong squad is retrieting. Maybe I should take more time for selecting it but I was currious how others expierincing this.
3 Jul 2013, 09:22 AM

Sometimes drag selection doesn't work. No box appears. :(
3 Jul 2013, 09:23 AM

You can also select squads and press Tab for select one after the other
3 Jul 2013, 10:06 AM

I do the select all then tab across.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 3

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias