Login

russian armor

Universal Carrier MMG upgrade..

25 Jan 2016, 04:34 AM

Not sure whether this is intentional.. Very odd if it is.

Zooming in on the UC sees a Bren front mounted and a Vicker's K pintle mounted aft of the cabin after the upgrade.

The Vickers K however isn't an MMG, its a light air cooled machine gun originally used by the RAF and picked up by various units ( LRDG most famously and commando units) once the RAF phased it out.

The correct loadout would be the the Vickers medium machine gun, a water cooled sustained fire weapon such as the MMG available from Tier 1. These would either be .303 or the .50cal version on specific conversions.

These could either be frontally mounted in place of the Bren, in which case the Bren would become the pintle mount primarily for AA, or more commonly on it's own tripod aft of the cabin.

Indeed transporting the Vickers MMG was arguably the prime role of the Universal carrier due to it's extreme weight ( 65lbs including water and pump but excluding tripod if my memory serves), yet the Infantry MMG will not garrison in it.

Also the Boys AT rifle was a very common loadout on the frontal mount, yet the .55cal sniper too cannot garrison or be transported by the UC.

Intentional or a misunderstanding due to the similar names?
25 Jan 2016, 05:57 AM

Intentional for balance. The reason why snipers cannot be passengers to light armored transports is the fact that it is counterproductive and to prevent M3 Scout Cars with sniper combo to ever happen again.
25 Jan 2016, 06:20 AM

I might be imagining it but I'm sure I put AT infantry armed with Boys 55s into a halftrack... though they seemed to be able to fire out of it too.

By balance do you mean that the Universal Carrier was considered to be overpowered? If so I haven't seen a single thread about it being overpowered and the British Forces were only released a few months ago....

Might be an amusing read, indeed maybe my 95 year old rheumatic and blind grandmother could do with a nerf. :D

Oddly her mobility vehicle wasn't tracked but shared many similarities in terms of usefullness on a battlefield to the in game UC. It certainly cost a lot of money and became useless within a very short period of time, not sure whether upgrades were available for it but I suppose it's horn could have been considered alarming..

No reason why it couldn't take a GPMG should you so wish though maybe a polite notice refraining from harsh language would have been more balanced.
25 Jan 2016, 06:28 AM

Intentional for balance. The reason why snipers cannot be passengers to light armored transports is the fact that it is counterproductive and to prevent M3 Scout Cars with sniper combo to ever happen again.

Oddly enough the sniper car actually still exists--Ost sniper in the doctrinal halftrack.

Edit: Or rather it still existed the last time I checked. (Which was a couple of patches ago.)
25 Jan 2016, 06:51 AM

Just to add that Granny, despite her fading sight and already poor driving ( micro?) skillz had a habit of not reversing all the way into combat ( Tescos).

Said allegedly overpowered horn would have been useless as she wouldn't have seen the poor pedestrians she was about to run over as she couldn't look over her shoulder.

Of course she could actually have done some damage to pedestrians ( Ostruppen? ) by running them over. Though had she gone on a mad vehicular killing spree due to the price of stamps and length of queues in the post office I rather suspect forwards would have made more sense to the senile old bat.
25 Jan 2016, 08:33 AM

It was so fun though...
25 Jan 2016, 15:10 PM

It was so fun though...
I know... I know...
26 Jan 2016, 19:28 PM

I know... I know...
I can remember running around with at least 2 sniper cars as a standard doctrine. There was even a brief window when western front came out where a USF player could abandon his car and you could put snipers in it.
13 Feb 2016, 04:42 AM

Any response to this from relic ? Is it intentional for a medium machine gun upgrade to give you a light machine gun?
15 Feb 2016, 00:16 AM

why don't they just mount the bofors on it kappa
15 Feb 2016, 02:23 AM

Not sure how anyone could be salty about the UC....
15 Feb 2016, 04:09 AM
Patrion 28

it's probably a combination of balance and someone not having good references. my understanding is that the new models are pretty good but a lot of the older models are odd mashups.
15 Feb 2016, 04:34 AM

why don't they just mount the bofors on it kappa

Or a 17 pounder. Let's call it the Bren Firefly.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★