Login

russian armor

Armored Assault in 1's 85's or IS-2?

12 Jan 2016, 19:47 PM

Hey everybody, I have recently started using Armored Assault in 1v1 and although it is a useful commander with some good abilities, I struggle in the transition from the mid to late game. I find it hard to decipher whether to tech up for 85's or stall for an IS-2. I don't have the replays saved but I had a match where stalling for an IS-2 resulted in me losing my fuel(Arnhem Checkpoint) and not being able to recover, even after getting the IS-2. I guess the biggest question is when to wait for call-ins and when to tech up. Once the IS-2 comes out, I see many players tend to just float resources for a replacement IS-2. Is teching T4 just too much of risk? I like 85's but without Mark Target I feel they are just okay, better against armor than the 76's but about the same for AI in which it is very :hansRNG: dependent. The rest of Soviet T4 is overall slightly UP at least in 1v1 with the T-34/76's not being very good unless they are in packs and the SU-85 being bad unless it gets Vet 2. I really only tech T4 for 85's with Mark Target(Guard Motor) and maybe a Katy if I really need it.
13 Jan 2016, 02:02 AM

I always tech up using armored assualt, I try to get 1 t34 85 then is2 and then another 85. I usually tech up by the7-8 co mark
14 Jan 2016, 10:06 AM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

Most players get by on T3 until they call in their first IS2. Bring in a SU-76 to help with anti tank if you need it.

You are correct most people bank for another IS-2 instead of teching after they get their first IS-2. This lets you play a bit more recklessly with your IS-2 and try take advantage of opportunities. Teching up and making a t34/85 is very similar in cost to an IS-2.

Most of the time at this stage of the game you will be up against a lot of anti tank and the t38/85 is too hard to keep alive. It does give you the flexibility of getting the Katyusha and SU85, whilst they are solid neither of these units performance is exceptional.

That being said I know that if Luvnest has a good lead and his command points are low he will tech and get a t34/85 rather than trying to stall for ages and losing momentum.
17 Jan 2016, 06:32 AM
Senior Editor Badge

@OP, what I usually do as soviets, regardless of my opponent's faction, is 2-3 Maxims, 2-3 cons, and a squad of shock troops (with Shock Rifle Frontline), then a T70 if I'm fast, or an SU76 if I'm behind.

With armored assault, you get a distinct advantage over shock rifle frontline with the radio intercept. you know what your opponent has, and can predict what your opponent might build (puma just came out? don't get a T70 or a meatchopper; go su76). The only downside to getting 3 cons rather than 2 and a squad of shocks, you lose a lot of offensive firepower.

Anyway, what I usually end up doing with this build is getting 2-3 SU76s, then an IS2, then teching up. Ideally, you don't lose any units (especially armor).

Anyway, long story short, I'd recommend getting IS2, then T34/85 later, as popcap allows.

Maxims are tricky to use (because of the deathloop on retreat), but when you get the hang of them they can be quite effective. SU76s should be used like mobile AT guns; watch out for AT snares. at 100% health they will get a damaged engine.

Long story short, hold out in T3 for IS2, then tech to T4 if necessary. Teching up is a good way to spend fuel; it's good to spend resources if you're not saving up for anything in particular, popcapped at the end of the game, etc. Examples would be caching, getting T4 tech, back teching to T1 (for a sniper or two).
5 Feb 2016, 04:12 AM

IS2 is a noobtrap. If the radio announces any kind of stugs then you know you shouldn't invest in vehicles that much at that time. Build 3 zis ATs to surprise the stug walls and then start building T3485s as many as you can.
15 Feb 2016, 10:48 AM

Hello.

Pretty much what i dont like with this commander, it gives you two end game units and you mostly need only one.

Most of the time i try to take a commander that offer non-redundant choices. The rare time i take this one is when the game is very long and i have the fuel to field both.

Kozo.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS