Login

russian armor

R.I.P World in Conflict

10 Jan 2016, 22:36 PM

i just found out that ubisoft had finally suspended all multiplayer services for WiC indefinitely. RIP WiC it was a good run while lasted and out of all the games i have played in my lifetime this one was the most balanced. all the units in all the factions had the same armor and damage values there were no favorites it was either ur teammates were good or they were bad. and lastly my most favorite VoiP. communication is and will ALWAYS be paramount because in most if not all situations especially chaotic ones its faster to talk than type. and assume not everyone is a fast typer so it was nice that Massive put that option in-game.
RIP WiC at least you treated me better than CoH 2 did =(
12 Jan 2016, 17:47 PM

Game was great. I remember people trading command points to afford nukes to do last ditch effort assaults.
12 Jan 2016, 18:17 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

I had fun playing it with a bunch of CoH cronies when it first came out. My interest didn't last long tho.
12 Jan 2016, 19:41 PM

I had fun playing it with a bunch of CoH cronies when it first came out. My interest didn't last long tho.

thats a bummer but i tell u that game was the most balanced game wise i've ever seen neither side had an advantage and all the units had level playing field stats instead of the horrid asymmetrical balance we see in CoH2 today. maybe relic ought to do symmetrical balance instead where all the factions have the same advantages like the way WiC did it.
12 Jan 2016, 19:42 PM

Game was great. I remember people trading command points to afford nukes to do last ditch effort assaults.

it was a good run...while it lasted.
21 Jan 2016, 16:17 PM

Oh, this is sad. I did play some WiC some years ago, it was very fun. That's why I like SP strategy games more (like civilization and such), they usually are "atemporal"
21 Jan 2016, 19:27 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Oh, this is sad. I did play some WiC some years ago, it was very fun. That's why I like SP strategy games more (like civilization and such), they usually are "atemporal"

Speaking of which, WiC's singleplayer was actually pretty decently written.
21 Jan 2016, 20:00 PM

The Red v Blu gameplay (aka symetrical Balance) was a bit dull but was compensated by a very unique support system and call in system. It's a shame it never got a sequel as the series had potential. I can still remember playing the single player campaign now; probably my favourite TTS/RTS campaign ever.

All this said I'm not surprised given the age of the game and the fact that sales are probably non non-existent now.
21 Jan 2016, 20:18 PM

thats a bummer but i tell u that game was the most balanced game wise i've ever seen neither side had an advantage and all the units had level playing field stats instead of the horrid asymmetrical balance we see in CoH2 today. maybe relic ought to do symmetrical balance instead where all the factions have the same advantages like the way WiC did it.

I liked this game too, I've played several multiplayer games on it. Also the game was particulary beautiful when it was released.

Maybe no faction had an advantage over the other one, but there were cleary no differences between Soviets and US/Nato units ... All the units were the same, which is cleary not a good point for me. That's not what I call balance. Thus it became clear that the game had a quite poor gameplay depth in the end, in spite of some innovative ideas like the fact that each player had to pick a role to get a significant price decrease on some units, or some funny ones like the nukes (which were useless most of the time but gave eyeful).

Games with different factions having different units and playstyles are much more interesting to play, like COH or Starcraft.

And, honestly, there a no major balances issues on COH 2. Actually, what is really broken ? The calliope ? It might be a bit strong, but nothing that can't be handle. When it will be fixed, there will be something else to complain about. When COH 2 was released, it was Wehrmacht's flame half-track, then grenade launcher, then LGM42s+G43s, then Flak-half track when OKW was released ... It never ends.

It is exactly like Starcraft II : everyone whines about things being broken (mines, oracles, hellbat, storms ...) despite the game is well balanced in overall and these things are quickly nerfed.

So I think that WiC deserved its poor popularity. Copying and pasting units for every factions is not enough to make a good multiplayer RTS, especially when there are only two factions ...
21 Jan 2016, 20:37 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Patrion 15

I liked this game too, I've played several multiplayer games on it. Also the game was particulary beautiful when it was released.

+1 , very pretty, especially the special effects and explosions.
22 Jan 2016, 01:50 AM

Nooo!

I loved WiC when it came out. Even if I could barely run the thing at the time. It was oh so gloriously pretty when the visuals were turned up. If anything it may have hurt the game though - graphics cards at the time simply couldn't handle it.

I always liked Massive as a studio, and WiC was a huge improvement on the disappointing Ground Control 2. In some ways I compare Relic and Massive since they both got their break at about the same time, but the writing was on the wall once activision dumped them. Ubisoft weren't interested in WiC or strategy/tactical games. The rushed/canned soviet assault expansion is testament to this. Ubisoft also didn't even seem to try marketing the game. I can't ever remember seeing it in steam sales and the likes.

One thing that never got enough credit with WiC was the online system. It was hands down the best designed multiplayer interface I've encountered. Creating parties, joining friends and servers was all well done. Hell they even gave clans their own forums!

The game itself was always more about tactical positioning and play rather than overall strategy I suppose. Still, it had some great ideas about stuff like infantry and sighting. A good infantry player was hell to deal with despite their units being killed by literally everything. If I had one complaint about balance, it was that there wasn't enough reason to use anything other than the heavy units.

Really is a pity that they didn't patch the backend to use steam instead.

RIP World in Conflict, it was fun.
28 Jan 2016, 03:46 AM

Maybe no faction had an advantage over the other one, but there were cleary no differences between Soviets and US/Nato units ... All the units were the same, which is cleary not a good point for me. That's not what I call balance. Thus it became clear that the game had a quite poor gameplay depth in the end, in spite of some innovative ideas like the fact that each player had to pick a role to get a significant price decrease on some units, or some funny ones like the nukes (which were useless most of the time but gave eyeful).

Games with different factions having different units and playstyles are much more interesting to play, like COH or Starcraft.

And, honestly, there a no major balances issues on COH 2. Actually, what is really broken ? The calliope ? It might be a bit strong, but nothing that can't be handle. When it will be fixed, there will be something else to complain about. When COH 2 was released, it was Wehrmacht's flame half-track, then grenade launcher, then LGM42s+G43s, then Flak-half track when OKW was released ... It never ends.

It is exactly like Starcraft II : everyone whines about things being broken (mines, oracles, hellbat, storms ...) despite the game is well balanced in overall and these things are quickly nerfed.

So I think that WiC deserved its poor popularity. Copying and pasting units for every factions is not enough to make a good multiplayer RTS, especially when there are only two factions ...

if i recall nobody complained about the balance of WiC during matches everything was the same massive didnt play favorites so i say its good that all units were the symmetrical that way its fair and its level playing field for all
1 Feb 2016, 23:04 PM

This game was so fun, when ubisoft bought Massive they just stopped updating and doing more content for the game which was shame.
1v1 was very fun to watch, specially the infantry game-play which was very difficult (but flexible) compared to other roles
24 Sep 2017, 11:54 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

From World in Conflict russian page on the Wikipedia (translated by me :D )
Howewer, big thanks to tenerefis, blahdi and housebee, World in Conflict was relaunched in 2016. They have received rights to support Massgate by the community. At the moment you need to download special patch from the website and follow instruction.

FAQ about new World in Conflict multiplayer: http://www.massgate.org/faq.php

So, everybody can play World in Conflict again :thumbsup:
24 Sep 2017, 13:55 PM
Donator 11

From World in Conflict russian page on the Wikipedia (translated by me :D )

FAQ about new World in Conflict multiplayer: http://www.massgate.org/faq.php

So, everybody can play World in Conflict again :thumbsup:

I can see they offer free CD-Keys on that page. Do you know if they got full rights for the game to do so? As an old WiC veteran I still have the game but it would be nice to play with some buddies that never got it.
5 Dec 2017, 05:36 AM
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS