Login

russian armor

CoH2 -USEALLAVAILABLECORES

9 Jan 2016, 12:26 PM
Patrion 14

Hello, I found this command for the Steam Launch options: -USEALLAVAILABLECORES
I know CoH2 doesn't use a the fourth core, but this command makes the game use all of your CPU cores. I'm not sure if this works (haven't tested it yet). Maybe someone can monitor on a 2nd screen if this indeed works?
9 Jan 2016, 12:59 PM

try running the benchmark with it on and off
Phy
9 Jan 2016, 13:04 PM

Maybe someone can monitor on a 2nd screen if this indeed works?

+1
9 Jan 2016, 13:27 PM

I'll try right now and see if I get any noticable difference from the game with all cores and default.

My processor is a bit rubbish but it has four cores, so perhaps it will boost performance with them all if it isn't using all already.
9 Jan 2016, 14:16 PM
Patrion 14

I tried to start with it, but I got Error Code 41. Servers too busy to handle my request... Had nothing to do with the command I think. When I removed it still had the same. Verifying cache to fix it atm...
9 Jan 2016, 14:38 PM

So I tried this out and this is what I found:

Programmes running at the time: COH 2, Spotify, Steam, Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Grpahics: Lowest because I'm a scrub.

Without -USEALLAVAILABLECORES:

Averaged 17fps in menu, between 14 and 33fps in game.

With -USEALLAVAILABLECORES:

Averaged 17fps in menu, between 12 and 33fps in game.

Task Manager (menu):

Resource Monitor (menu):

Task Manager (in-game):

Task Manager (menu/allcores):

Resource Monitor (menu/allcores):

Task Manager (in-game/allcores):

Resource Monitor (in-game/allcores):

I have not done much extensive testing, I played vs the AI on Langreskaya so already some of my CPU will be busy planning the AI's moves. I have not played long games as I haven't had the time, so I cannot tell if -USEALLAVAILABLECORES will reduce late game lag significantly. However, it can be noted there is a difference in CPU activity.

-USEALLAVAILABLE cores does not let my processor use all it's cores as it does use all of them already, but it does dramatically increase CPU usage across all cores without any noticable benefit. This makes me wonder if it doesn't boost performance at all and may in fact help to burn out your CPU, or may be useful in other ways such as overcoming input lag from a slow machine or taxing in-game effects. I will test it in some 1v1s and 2v2s another time to see what result I get.

[EDIT]: It may well be different for your machine, mine is already pushed to the limit and things such as game boosters and replays turned off have little to no effect on my game's FPS anyway, so try it out on a higher end machine before taking my word as gospel.
9 Jan 2016, 14:46 PM
Patrion 14

I play on a laptop that I bought for school work. So yeah, its very low end. Play game with no replays and dx9 atm. Getting between 50 and 70 fps early game.

Tested the command, I didn't notice any fps gain. Didnt play with task manager because I have no 2nd screen :(

Anyway, thanks for testing and telling the results Swiftsabre! Game is only programmed to run with 3 cores I heard. So a simply command won't do much :p
9 Jan 2016, 14:52 PM

I've been monitoring my cpu usage once in a while and for me it uses all the of the 8 cores all the time
10 Jan 2016, 15:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jan 2016, 14:38 PMSwift

-USEALLAVAILABLE cores does not let my processor use all it's cores as it does use all of them already, but it does dramatically increase CPU usage across all cores without any noticable benefit. This makes me wonder if it doesn't boost performance at all and may in fact help to burn out your CPU, or may be useful in other ways such as overcoming input lag from a slow machine or taxing in-game effects. I will test it in some 1v1s and 2v2s another time to see what result I get.

[EDIT]: It may well be different for your machine, mine is already pushed to the limit and things such as game boosters and replays turned off have little to no effect on my game's FPS anyway, so try it out on a higher end machine before taking my word as gospel.

i expected the results to be roughly what you experienced, on some machine i could imagine the performance going down significantly as well....

the reason is that the game only can have as many threads as intended by design... to simplify, lets say one core calculates AI, one core gameengine and one network. now if you say "but use all available cores!" what is being forced is that atbsome point, one core that might be perfectly content with his amount of load has to transfer all his work (along with all the data) to an idle one. this takes time, but doesnt accelerate anything. on some machines it might even force the Cpu to run at a lower speed (some intels dynamically clock up cores if not all cores are busy, so if all cores are being forced to be bused, alll of them are clocked lower).

or, to put it in laymans terms.... 4 workers with 3 shovels will not shovel faster than 3 workers with 3 shovels.
Seb
19 Jan 2016, 00:08 AM
Admin Black Badge

Quoting myself from the other thread with relevant data.

jump backJump back to quoted post18 Jan 2016, 23:57 PMSeb

The only reason the CPU load appears even across all cores is because Windows thread scheduling makes it look like so.

You will never see each of them at 100% though. The sum of all of them is what you would get if it used 1 and half (or at best 2 cores) if they were used exclusively.

You can force it by defining a processor affinity to the game in the task manager, you will see only those selected used at 100% like you would expect, and the others empty or used for other apps, but this is probably not useful.

No matter what you do from my experience you get averaging a 25% load on a quad core.

The reason being that this game (or any game in general) has a lot of sequential work to do. It's much better for gaming to get a better single core than any number of multiple cores. This is also why for gaming it's usually advised to get an i5 (compared to i7) in regard to the FPS/price ratio.

There's always more work the game developer could do to multi-thread more stuff (I strongly believe Relic hasn't done enough in COH, partially because the game engine is too old), but it has a limit for any game with a clear timeline, because you have a time-frame for each event (1/8 of a second for CoH if I remember correctly) and (obviously) cannot calculate events in the future with the spare CPU cores, and (obviously) doing it in the past would be useless (as opposed to compiling, video encoding, or other work that can be split in blocs independent of each other).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★