Login

russian armor

UC / Bren Carrier...

27 Dec 2015, 21:22 PM

My favourite unit in COH, not having much luck with it in COH2 though..

Did see a wiki description suggesting it was made from chicken wire covered with baking foil, which seems aptly weak.

Anyone found a good use for them in the early or late game? 90 munitions is an awful lot for the flame variant, the HMG doesn't seem to be at all potent ( loved AP rounds in COH1), units can't shoot out of it and even the self repair only comes at vet1. Can't say I've had too many survive to vet1.

Thing is the self repair allowed the Brits to offload some early manpower problems into munitions, and use this for much needed map control in the early game of COH. COH2 seems to keep the manpower problems whilst giving the Axis a dream wishlist of nerfs.
27 Dec 2015, 22:11 PM
Donator 11

Command Bren Carrier at your service :D
6 Jan 2016, 23:20 PM

Is it actually the number of hitpoints which is the problem?

I've been using ( losing) a lot of them and noticed that they tend to get to about 50% health and then just spontaneously combust.

I've even tried using added armour bulletins and same thing happens. Lonely Volks squad in the open, UC fires, one volks rolls around on the ground after a bit looking as though he is being tickled, UC hits 50% health and decides to do an impression of Spinal Tap's drummer.

Very early in the game and only small arms used, no shrecks or anything like that...

Every annoying Kubel wagon I see escapes with a tiny sliver of health left where as UCs seem to lull you into thinking they have something left in the tank then turn into Roman candles.

I'm sure a two man Tommy squad with a Bren has less health yet would fare better despite no armour.
11 Jan 2016, 00:43 AM

Yeah, the UC is extremely fragile. I think it is actually a bit stronger than the Kubel, I've killed many of those with them. But my main use for them is to upgrade them with a flamethrower ASAP and then use it to burn HMGs. More often than not, they will get caught by grenade before long, but if you're really careful, you can wreak havoc with that flamethrower. I actually just had a game where my UC survived until late game, and it was rolling around, safely tucked between my 2 comets torching blobs of Volks. It was glorious.
11 Jan 2016, 01:15 AM

Definitey stronger than the Kubel, but the Kubel has the speed to get away with a sliver of health ( and no doubt to be repaired, early game mine have to limp back with engine damage and wait for an engineer to be produced).

Just thought... Does Cover work for vehicles? Would a UC be safer behind green cover?

With a machinegun versus rifles you'd think it would kill quickly at close range. Seems to take as much damage as it gives though against unarmoured infantry...
11 Jan 2016, 20:14 PM

I like UC with vickers K upgrade. I doles out decent damage. But it becomes nearly impossible to use mid to late game due to German shrek spam.

Early on, it is great, can make all the difference in a engagement to give you that much needed edge.
11 Jan 2016, 20:23 PM

The main issue is the time window of it's usefulness. VS OKW they can get a shrek/raketen, VS Ostheer it stays useful slightly longer (unless you get fausted) until the 222 or Pak comes out.

Definitely needs a damage buff for both it's upgrades, they just aren't worth it

Also, what the hell is with its constant refusal to drive forwards?! Even if you press attack move it decides to reverse attack into the enemy. Doubly frustrating as it has a painfully slow rotation rate
17 Jan 2016, 20:35 PM

Just read on Cruzz's thread that the UC does more damage at long range than at short... I've been using them wrong.

I'll give them another try either covering a Vickers or guarding several strat points at maxish range. Could do with making a map and range circles app so that the optimum position of emplacements and UCs could be determined, I'm thinking 2 UCs with their low maintenance and interlocking arcs of fire might solve some of the cutoff and strat point pinching that pioneers tend to get up to...

Edit: In fact I'm wondering now whether there is a way to guarantee a pin on roving shreck blobs outside of their max range with some combination of UCs and Vickers, which I think is 35m.
19 Jan 2016, 05:57 AM
Patrion 310

With the new AEC, they do decent with the RAID ability that allow brits to cap with armor. So push infantry/armor away with the AEC and back cap with the UC. Raid is also perfect for the AEC to harrass cutoff in 1vs1 and big 2vs2 maps.
19 Jan 2016, 14:04 PM

15 fuel is a rip off, make that 5 or none at all and it may be used more. Fighting capability is fine, microing with a wasp upgrade can be great but if you lose it you set yourself back a lot from a fast Cromwell/AEC.
19 Jan 2016, 21:22 PM
Patrion 310

15 fuel is only expensive because brits have to tech up early for healing, repair and mine sweeper(situational).
All the other factions can repair and clear mines from their starting unit, brits need tech for this as well. I guess they are tough like that, mine sweeper? Nah brits don't need that :brad:

Easy fix that would make the UC more useful in early game strats (low tech strats):
1) replace IS starting unit with a eng squad, adjust manpower accordingly
2) make healing available without tech

20 Jan 2016, 05:10 AM

15 fuel is only expensive because brits have to tech up early for healing, repair and mine sweeper(situational).
All the other factions can repair and clear mines from their starting unit, brits need tech for this as well. I guess they are tough like that, mine sweeper? Nah brits don't need that :brad:

Easy fix that would make the UC more useful in early game strats (low tech strats):
1) replace IS starting unit with a eng squad, adjust manpower accordingly
2) make healing available without tech

That is a very very roundabout way to fix UC, replacing IS with RE as the starter unit is a nerf. We don't need to change the faction just to accommodate the UC, the UC just needs to be changed.

UKF is already playing a tightrope early game as while the IS is good, they aren't exactly USF Riflemen and they have all the weaknesses you mentioned (Need to tech up to heal, no dedicated healer unit)
27 Jan 2016, 12:32 PM

Changing the self repair to vet 0 would go a long way in my opinion.
28 Jan 2016, 03:26 AM

Allow inf to fire from inside, what's wrong with not being able to shoot from inside, it's not like Brit have flamethrower to make clowncar.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★