Login

russian armor

How to play soviets in random 2v2 ATM?

21 Dec 2015, 23:15 PM

Hi
I've dont played like for 6 months and I would like to know how to play soviets in 2vs2?
I m getting raped so bad.
So know all the good tanks are in T4 but you need to build T3.
If you have some strategies, thanks.
21 Dec 2015, 23:27 PM
Patrion 310

Whats your usual build order? What do you like using and what don't you like using? Which commanders do you usually use?

Also do you have any replays of games you have had problems with?
22 Dec 2015, 00:10 AM

Whats your usual build order? What do you like using and what don't you like using? Which commanders do you usually use?

Also do you have any replays of games you have had problems with?

I've no particular BO

Guard Motor / Guard Rifle / Lend Lease

Last replay, at the end everything falls apart, if you have some advice
Maybe I should have add T2 for more Anti Tank? Guards+ SU 85 maybe not enough?

22 Dec 2015, 00:37 AM

Usually going for cons heavy start now days, requires some micro-skills but its worth it.

cons-cons-cons-molly-cons/heal - at nade- t2 (i sometimes skip it) - cons/engi

Here i usually pick my commander depending on the situation, if i go full lend lease i skip t2 and do this:

dhsk - assault group - sherman (x3)

I usually try to be as mobile as possible, and to harass as much as i can. Deny any cover/buildings, and flood the map. BUILD MINES! IT WINS GAMES!

I usually play with a partner, as this rely on some kind of early ATG if i skip t2.

Builds without lend-lease (same build as above):

atg - t3 - su 76 - t4 - katy/su 85s

I usually go for Advanced Warfare or Partysans as my two other commander choices, if I want to make some flavour, ill add the defensive tactics and troll the shit out of okw with the 57mm atg spam + fhq.

Take the builds with a grain of salt since, its situational. Sometimes I go t2, sometimes not, depends on how the enemy is playing. If I encounter lots of blobs i get a maxim and build IEDs all over the place.

I try to go for the early game win, as dragged out 2v2s usually favours the axis players a lot, and if you encounter those pesky dual wehr sniper strats, you remember this:

Smoke & flank

l2p

Run & Gun tovarish)))

22 Dec 2015, 01:47 AM
Patrion 310

OK I have watched the replay.

General things:

You upgraded to medics far too early. This caused you field presence problems. I would usually suggest somewhere between 4 and 6 squads is the time to upgrade, depending on how your resources and general field presence are doing. If you do not have that many wounded squads, sometimes it can be put off a few more mins. If you can transfer these resources into more units, it will be easier to hold on to territory and win engagements.

Capping was a bit slow in the start, shift clicking orders will queue them up and help speed this up, especially if you are busy controlling other units.

Penals are generally not a great choice in my opinion. They don't really offer much in terms of damage over conscripts but they lack the utility of conscripts (at nade, Molotov, merge, sandbags). Because cons are cheaper, it is also easier to have a greater field presence.

I would suggest putting engineers in the M3 because only 4 of the Penals can fire out of the M3 and they do more dps than the engineers out of it. Also having engineers in the m3 makes it easier to retreat and repair.

Repairing a vehicle in an uncapped sector is quite useful (depending on where it is) as you are doing 2 tasks at the same time and not tying up extra squads. Early on you could have repaired your M3 in the sector to the left.

When you have lots of squads at your HQ healing, it is quite handy to spread them out a bit, otherwise the medics sometimes get stuck between all the squads and are not healing as effectively as they could be.

When you gain map control, occupying buildings is a great way to halt the enemy re advancing. It is difficult to remove infantry from buildings without some kind of artillery or flames. If you force your opponent to use munitions to remove you from the building, this is good as it is draining his resources. It will also slow him down allowing you to control the sectors for longer.

Consider using prioritize vehicles on your AT stuff. SU-76 and SU-85 generally have a hard time hitting infantry, but allowing them to fire freely means your opponents will know they are there and (probably) won’t put any armour nearby.

5:20 - Charged Penals into Sturmpios. Generally it’s a bad idea to charge Sturmpios with any unit aside from Shocks or Rangers / Paras with Thompsons. In pretty much all situations, sitting at long range in cover vs sturms is preferred, due their high damage at close range. Although you won and killed his squad, you also lost 3 models as well. If he had his squad in cover, you would have likely lost the engagement.

7:42 - It’s a good idea if you see a Sturm Officer to focus him. If the officer model dies, it will retreat any units under his aura.

9:17 - Would have been better to sit behind the wall with your Penals in cover rather than running into the Volks. The satchel was a good idea but it didn’t do a huge amount of damage, however you lost models and were out of position. Sometimes it is best to just sit in cover to occupy your opponent, allowing you time to reinforce your front line, lay mines etc.

10:00 - Your opponent has gone for lots of infantry (3 Volks, 3 Pz Fusi + Officer). Maxims would be useful here. Your guard position on the fuel point could be better. Although it shows them in heavy (green) cover, because cover is directional they are not getting very much of it. I would suggest either moving to the other side of the sand bags / sector flag or a bit further back behind the graves. Planting a mine in front of sandbags and other cover is a good idea, as it denies it to your opponent but also has a decent chance of killing several models as they bunch up into cover.

10:20 - Focus firing the officer would have been a good idea here. The OKW player seems to like to bring it into combat a lot, forcing his army to mass retreat is a great way of denying him any capping ability.

15:20 - Your Penals were heavily outnumbered. If you are in that situation, its usually better to either soft retreat them (move them towards your other forces) or just retreat them back to base to avoid unnecessary losses.

16 ish - You had lots of squads sitting at your HQ not doing anything. When squads are healed / reinforced, it’s a good idea to move some up at least a bit to try to maintain some field presence.

17:00 - Your troops are all in a big group. You should try to spread them out in case of any artillery or grenades. If you can, put them behind cover.

20:20 - You built an SU-85. I would have suggested building a Katyusha instead, as his army was mainly infantry and he likes to blob a lot. You also had reasonable AT with 3 guards and an SU-76 while he had no armour on the field.

22:00 - The fuel sector turns orange on the minimap. This indicates some kind of sector based ability has been used. It is usually your opponent using some kind of artillery. If you see this it is best to move out of the sector as soon as possible. Unfortunately you lost a guard squad during that barrage.

22:20 - Try to avoid sending AT based armour out without any kind of AI support and something to spot for it. It makes them easy pray for the enemy.

33:38 - Again try to have something to cover your SU-85 against infantry and support weapon based at.

36:00 - Both your Katyushas are reloaded and ready fire. Try to keep them firing all the time for maximum damage. If you cannot see any targets to shoot, either use an infantry squad to spot or just target an OKW truck.

45:00 - Most of your AT was fairly spread out and the enemy team had several tanks. Mines being placed here would have really helped, snaring the enemy tanks hopefully allowing you’re AT to get into position to take them out.

In general for that game, I would have suggested the following:

• Don’t build Tier 1 and instead go for T2. An early maxim can really help you hold onto territory when you do not have many units on the field as well as controlling large groups of infantry. A second maxim is a good idea, to help cover the 1st. A mortar or two would work well with the maxims, as they can fire on the supressed units and will do very well vs large groups of infantry.

• Build a few conscripts to use as your early infantry force and at some point, upgrade to AT nades. These become very useful later on, allowing you to snare enemy tanks and light vehicles, giving time for any at you have to kill it.

• Having at least 1 at gun is a good idea, as it is harder for AT based units to take them out, while providing decent AT without a fuel cost.

• Mines mines and more mines. Because your opponent lost his Sturmpios early on and never rebuilt them, he lost the ability to sweep for mines. Mines are great for bleeding your enemy of units and manpower and are great later in the game for snaring tanks. They also provide some defence against the enemy capping your sectors if you do not have units nearby.

• An ML-20 potentially could have been really good on that map and the game. It can put steady pressure on your enemy, especially if they like to bunker down. It is also great and destroying large groups of infantry and protecting sectors from being capped.

Sorry for the large wall of text. It will be difficult to take it all on board but hopefully it is of some use. Keep practicing and you will get better. The game typically has quite a steep learning curve, so it can take awhile to become better but it will happen with time. Any questions feel free to ask :)
22 Dec 2015, 09:13 AM

I can send you like 10 replays when I just went for commander with Partisan Tank hunters and PPsh for conscripts and ML-20 , you can spam the shit out of cons and tank hunters, no need to tech, build muni caches and hold the line - with so many squads it is not hard. Disadvantage is your vulnerability to obersoldaten or pwerfer, so you need to get close to enemy troops and use rapid conscription to save manpower to build howi.
22 Dec 2015, 09:18 AM

maxim spam all the way.
22 Dec 2015, 09:27 AM
Senior Caster Badge

OK I have watched the replay.

Sorry for the large wall of text. It will be difficult to take it all on board but hopefully it is of some use. Keep practicing and you will get better. The game typically has quite a steep learning curve, so it can take awhile to become better but it will happen with time. Any questions feel free to ask :)

Really nice to see high ranking players in 2v2 helping people out on the forums.

Respect!
22 Dec 2015, 10:50 AM

Yea thanks Puppetmaster for this analyze and your advices.

I will do some games and see how it goes

Thanks!
22 Dec 2015, 12:12 PM

Try heavy T2 (maxims with Atg) into T-70 if u can rush it before 10min or wait for IS2/ISU152 with doctrinal infantry.
22 Dec 2015, 18:56 PM

My never fail tactic: no tech. 2 cons, molotovs, 2 more cons. Use the defensive tactics commander. It is very strong against okw and strong against Wehrmacht. Start making Dshks, and a lot of them. Put them in buildings wherever you can. Then when you feel light vehicles, start pumping out some 45mms. Use the 120mms liberally. Squad wipe material. You can then start teaching up to t2 and t3 because you're eventually going to need a zis. Then, you should have a lot of fuel, start spamming Katyushas and just bombard his base. Gg.
22 Dec 2015, 21:16 PM

I've done few games
It's still the same, at the end germans tanks are so hard to kill, not only they are strong but when close to death... smoke meanwhile your shitty SU 85 will be 2 shots without escape.
To my eyes there is NO soviets tanks that deserves to be build, in T3/T4. Only call in are good :(
22 Dec 2015, 21:25 PM

You need to put more mines. 1 mine cost only 30 muni and can help you win the game. Then if the guy will attack without minesweepers he will get a broken engine and then u can easly kill him with SU-85. If he use smoke then you use attack ground on his tank.

SU-76 is really good, if you have 2 you can even scare a Panther off, they have also free barage. But they are squishy. Later it's good to have 1 SU-85 to spot with it for your SU-76s and other tanks.
22 Dec 2015, 22:03 PM

You need to put more mines. 1 mine cost only 30 muni and can help you win the game. Then if the guy will attack without minesweepers he will get a broken engine and then u can easly kill him with SU-85. If he use smoke then you use attack ground on his tank.

SU-76 is really good, if you have 2 you can even scare a Panther off, they have also free barage. But they are squishy. Later it's good to have 1 SU-85 to spot with it for your SU-76s and other tanks.

mines are ok but there is a lot of arty shots at the end so... they often blow before a tank run on it.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★