Login

russian armor

Balance changes I'd like to see

30 Jun 2013, 04:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jun 2013, 22:08 PMGrund

"I'm not trying to "solve" sniper + scout car, I'm just trying to make it more punishing if the opponent makes a mistake with it. Right now going sniper scout car will lose you a lot of map control early (especially if your opponent goes triple pio). Then after the sniper is out, you need about 15 kills to make it worth the cost assuming you don't kill any squads. That's okay. Germans can definitely go T2 and upgun a scout car to deal with it, and Russians deserve to get some impact out of their tech choice." - Adder

What you are saying is ok for 1v1 because yes map control is an issue but against good 2v2 teams who keep a conscript with AT nades (my partner and I always do) near the SC the German AC cant get close. The strat is very OP and the car needs a nerf not a health buff, you just shouldnt be able to shoot out of it, it should be a 'scout' car with maybe a gun upgrade for itself not a 'bren' wagon with a gun and transport ability.

Unfortunately I play 1v1s exclusively, so I can't even offer balance opinions on 2v2 play.

The speed and AI capabilities of the T34 means that, although it may not be as good for AT as the StuG for a similar prize, the T34 pays for itself faster by killing enemy troops in the battlefield conditions it arrives at (the Stug will rarely destroy infantry as fast as a T34 does).

Thanks for putting my thoughts out better than I could. I agree with this 100%.

Soviet mines are still king, though, because they deal TOO much damage to infantry for very little cost. They deal around 200 dmg, which is enough to instantly blow up a squad in the first minutes of the game. The reasoning being that it needs to do decent damage to vehicles, but if it doesnt doo at least 200 then its useless against them. vCoH mines were already perfect for both worlds. Its one of the mechanics I really wished would have stayed the same, but alas...

I've lost entire squads to mines before. It's ridiculous.
30 Jun 2013, 05:32 AM

I think the T70 is fine also. Nerfing it would just further solidify the fact that people will just skip T3 and go straight to t4. Also knocking out the engine is pretty much lights out for this little guy, and that's only needed with munitions and the grens you should already have on the field. For the rest of your post, i odnt agree 100% but its a step.
30 Jun 2013, 06:52 AM

Balance talk without Opel truck & stuka Strafing run? hum.......
30 Jun 2013, 17:59 PM

The Opel Truck is only heavily imbalanced in 2v2's, and only gives a true advantage in a long term, both in 1v1 or 2v2.

I don't play Assault doctrine a lot, tbh, but if you check when the average time for Opel trucks to arrive is, you can start to assume he'll put it in the closest territories to his base that are largest (safe for hiding), also territories that already have OP's could be viable. For every single Opel truck you kill, it is as though you had kill a Pioneer squad, and it is A LOT more vulnerable than pios.

Strafing run does need to be nerfed, but it doesn't really affect the metagame as much as say, German mine inferiority, T34 weakness, Scout cars, etc, which are non doctrinal.
30 Jun 2013, 19:19 PM

The Opel Truck is only heavily imbalanced in 2v2's, and only gives a true advantage in a long term, both in 1v1 or 2v2.

I don't play Assault doctrine a lot, tbh, but if you check when the average time for Opel trucks to arrive is, you can start to assume he'll put it in the closest territories to his base that are largest (safe for hiding), also territories that already have OP's could be viable. For every single Opel truck you kill, it is as though you had kill a Pioneer squad, and it is A LOT more vulnerable than pios.

Strafing run does need to be nerfed, but it doesn't really affect the metagame as much as say, German mine inferiority, T34 weakness, Scout cars, etc, which are non doctrinal.

so you mean...... Trucks & Strafing are fine? Argh...... this is new

right now there's no reason to play 2v2 as soviet if the both of them untouched, we'll see in few month, most dev balancer don't play 2v2 I guess
30 Jun 2013, 20:12 PM

Is it me or do you also have much more manpower available compared to fuel and to some extend ammo?

So far I feel like I am always limited by the fuel cost, not by manpower (which I tend to have 500 or so of)
30 Jun 2013, 20:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2013, 19:19 PMUGBEAR

so you mean...... Trucks & Strafing are fine? Argh...... this is new

right now there's no reason to play 2v2 as soviet if the both of them untouched, we'll see in few month, most dev balancer don't play 2v2 I guess

Trucks are not necessarily right, but they don't become insanely overpowered unless YOU allow them to trickle the resources. Its not always easy to penetrate the lines, but it is worse in 2v2 because the resources are shared by both players, and if both use the trucks, share the expenses. The maximum fuel income I have ever gotten from a 2v2 game with trucks has been in the mid 50's. I had fuel OP's, trucks AND both High Fuels in the map. By then it was already over.

Rad again what I said about strafe: nobody said anything about it being right, or balanced. Although strafe is nuts right now, it doesn't always arrive in play. OTOH, you will almost ALWAYS see either maxims or scout cars in a soviet game.

30 Jun 2013, 20:31 PM

I agree with everything but this one:

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jun 2013, 06:31 AMAdder

-Retreat defensive bonuses doubled.

Too often I find squads getting away with a sliver of health after running from (for instance) two conscript-squads. Did I mention that the enemy squad was on a road?

What about "Retreat defensive bonuses doubled against flame weapons"? I think that should solve your problem.

Also, a slight nerf of Soviet mines against infantry and a slight buff against tanks would be nice.
1 Jul 2013, 05:00 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2013, 20:31 PMTZer0
I agree with everything but this one:

Too often I find squads getting away with a sliver of health after running from (for instance) two conscript-squads. Did I mention that the enemy squad was on a road?

What about "Retreat defensive bonuses doubled against flame weapons"? I think that should solve your problem.

Also, a slight nerf of Soviet mines against infantry and a slight buff against tanks would be nice.

If I remember correctly what someone once said in twitch chat, retreat in coH2 only gives you an armor bonus, which indirectly affects accuracy (it could hit, but it wont penetrate as easy). Flame weapons ignore armor and have an accuracy of 11 (1100% accurate), so no matter how much you increase those bonuses, flames will still decimate you.

Truth is, the best course of action for flamers if still overpowered, is to keep decreasing their reload time and or burst duration, to change the way they interact with armor in the game, is to change the entire mechanic. Too much imho.
1 Jul 2013, 18:54 PM

If I remember correctly what someone once said in twitch chat, retreat in coH2 only gives you an armor bonus, which indirectly affects accuracy (it could hit, but it wont penetrate as easy). Flame weapons ignore armor and have an accuracy of 11 (1100% accurate), so no matter how much you increase those bonuses, flames will still decimate you.

Truth is, the best course of action for flamers if still overpowered, is to keep decreasing their reload time and or burst duration, to change the way they interact with armor in the game, is to change the entire mechanic. Too much imho.

You are over-thinking this. Gief super-speshul flame protection-armor.
1 Jul 2013, 19:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post30 Jun 2013, 20:31 PMTZer0

I think it's a good thing when squads survive on retreat. Squad death can happen for all sorts of random, non-skill related reasons and the worst thing is to lose a game based on luck.

I'd rather play a game where both my opponent and I have a 0% chance of losing squads that retreat than a game where I have a 60% chance of killing his retreating squads and he has a 30% chance of killing mine.
1 Jul 2013, 19:31 PM

I agree with most of these.

I wouldn't mind the stug being spammable, but I really liked when it ad a strong frontal armor. Make the sides thinner to compensate and suck its turn rate, and you've got yourself a nice assault gun.

Pathing problems aside (when being caught in a molotov blast), I think if the initial damage is increased and dmg over time decreased, the throwing animation should be a little bit shorter.

I would add that the ISU-152 needs to be nerfed.Its prohibitely expensive, but it wins against a Tiger 1v1, decimates any medium tank in around two shots, murders infantry faster than a KV-8, and it has the longest of all tank ranges in the game. Did I mention it stuns any tank regardless of vet, very often? I would simply nerf its reload rate to be slower, and decrease the stun critical chance to 1 in 5.

have you tried countering it with an elephant?because last time i checked the elephant penetrates almost every time and does a monstrous 320 dmg
1 Jul 2013, 19:40 PM

I like the balance tweaks suggested in the opening post.

Also strafing run duration nerf.
1 Jul 2013, 20:32 PM

An interesting variant on the "no signs for German AP mines" occurred to me just now:

Allow German player to build the signs, but no mines, for a small munitions cost.

:-D
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 101
unknown 19
South Africa 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %