Login

russian armor

Swapped German HMGs, now having voice issues

20 Dec 2015, 02:52 AM
Donator 11

I gave Ostheer the MG34 and OKW the MG42 because I felt that OKW needed the better supression platform. However, now the MG42 has no voice responses to commands and the MG34 has no voice line when it first comes on the field. I have tried multiple variations of the current 2- and 3-letter speech codes to no avail. It doesn't make any sense to me because of these are team weapons designed to be capturable by other sides. Can anyone help me understand what might be going on here?
21 Dec 2015, 13:44 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

You want the new OKW MG42 to have the Ostheer MG42 voice? That might not be possible. I'm not sure you can use another faction's voices, i.e. if you give an OKW squad an Ostheer speech code, it might not do anything.

Did you make the normal Ostheer MG42 squad buildable in an OKW truck? The OKW already has an (unused) MG42 squad that you can use, so you'll have the OKW weapon crew and voices out of the box. There might not be any lines specific to the MG42 though. You might also have to fiddle with the loadout/cost a bit, I'm not sure it's the same.

For an Ostheer MG34, I'd recommend cloning the Ostheer MG42 squad and just changing out the MG. You'll have the normal MG42 voices then, but that's probably the closest you're gonna get!
21 Dec 2015, 17:03 PM
Donator 11

Actually, since the MG34 responds to commands just fine and the original Ostheer announcement line specifically referred to the MG42, what I'd like is a generic "unit ready" speech code to use, but the only one I can find is from a dispatch ability and doesn't seem to work on a squad.

I'd be happy using OKW's MG34 lines with the MG42, but I can't seem to get those to work no matter which speech codes I try. The unused OKW version of the MG42 looks like it has the same speech codes as the Ostheer version, so I can already pretty much be sure that won't work, unfortunately.
21 Dec 2015, 20:06 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Sorry, I didn't know those speech codes were so messed up. I did some testing myself.

Ostheer should have such a speech code. For Osttruppen Reserves, the announcer always says something like "unit ready". It has 'otr' on speech_code_3, though, which doesn't look like a generic code and also doesn't work with the MG34. No idea if something can be done about this - sorry.

When experimenting with an OKW MG42, I got decent results. Voice lines when it comes on the field work. When selecting it or giving commands, they usually say something, but not always. I had the exact same problem when crewing a Soviet DShK with Volks, though, so it might be a bug. Here's what I used:

speaker_generic: wp
speaker_specific: wp
speech_code_2: mg
speech_code_3: hmg

'wp' seems to have generic lines for weapon teams, the Raketenwerfer and ISG use it as well.

The whole speech code system seems really intransparent, with each squad having different data for all five factions and one more 'generic' section, the same codes seemingly producing different lines for each unit, and so on. Maybe someone else knows a little more.
22 Dec 2015, 16:24 PM
Donator 11

Yeah, I'm finding the speech codes pretty frustrating to work with. Thank you big time for looking into this, though! Just updated my mod on the workshop with the fixed MG42 voices :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★