Login

russian armor

COH2 Replays..Am I Missing Something Here?

1 Jul 2013, 01:47 AM

Assume what you want, it's not an IE problem. Based on the spec the fault lies with coh2.org team:

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec7.html#sec7.2.1
Any HTTP/1.1 message containing an entity-body SHOULD include a Content-Type header field defining the media type of that body. If and only if the media type is not given by a Content-Type field, the recipient MAY attempt to guess the media type via inspection of its content and/or the name extension(s) of the URI used to identify the resource. If the media type remains unknown, the recipient SHOULD treat it as type "application/octet-stream".

The Internet Explorer team is holding up their end of the bargain. They are inspecting the content and determining it to be readable text (incorrectly, in this case, although understandably because there's a significant amount of readable text at the start of the file).

CoH2.org is NOT holding up their end of the bargain - the browser should NOT have to fall back to guessing the media type. The fact is that the coh2.org team is breaking the most important protocol on the internet because they're too lazy or ignorant to implement a one-line change.

I have no skin in this game - I don't use coh2.org for replays and if I did I sure as hell wouldn't use IE to do it. I'm just telling you that the problem is not IE, the problem is the laziness or incompetence of the coh2.org team.

When you send content over HTTP you should supply a content-type header. There's no excuse not to do it.
1 Jul 2013, 01:54 AM

this iamaelephant guy is pro

once again, this crazyguy just flat out does not know what he is talking about.
1 Jul 2013, 01:55 AM

CrazyGuy here is your exact quote

"Hell, I know for a fact Killian has said many multiple times that he didn't and wont buy coh2."

your facts are incorrect.
Killian has never stated she would not buy the game.

if you have a quote of her saying she would never buy the game then post it.

Ok, my point still applies. Why bag on a game/fan site? Just dont buy the game, there is no point in coming here and talking about how either sucks.

ffs, if you read her posts its clear Killian is female.
Also, Killian is a prominent female character in another very popular RTS universe.

So? that has nothing to do with anything.

I have no skin in this game - I don't use coh2.org for replays and if I did I sure as hell wouldn't use IE to do it. I'm just telling you that the problem is not IE, the problem is the laziness or incompetence of the coh2.org team.

When you send content over HTTP you should supply a content-type header. There's no excuse not to do it.

So why are you here insulting the people who dedicate time to this site?

1 Jul 2013, 01:58 AM

So? that has nothing to do with anything.

it displays the reading comprehension level of her posts.

as far as "bagging on a game".
the game looks like its worth $30 to me.
I've watched the game on twitch, watched people "enjoy it" , "hate it " , "rage after losses", "celebrate after a big come back".

there is no "love or hate" attached to that comment. It is an objective assessment of its value. It will be $30 shortly.

So I've taken enough time to give CoH2 a careful assessment.
I paid $30 for CoH1 and was happy with it.
1 Jul 2013, 02:03 AM

So why are you her insulting the people who dedicate time to this site?

Look mate, if all you took away from that is "insult" then you're a little baby. Let's let the grown-ups talk about the technical stuff, ok buddy?

To the coh2.org team, I'm more than willing to help you resolve this bug (free of charge, of course).
1 Jul 2013, 02:11 AM

Look mate, if all you took away from that is "insult" then you're a little baby. Let's let the grown-ups talk about the technical stuff, ok buddy?

I am not saying your point is invalid, I am saying there is no need to insult when making it.
7 Jul 2013, 21:20 PM

I'd just like to point out it has been over a week since I handed the solution to the developers of this site - a single-line code change that has absolutely no side-effects and requires minimal testing and they haven't bothered to implement the change.

I think it speaks volumes to how little respect coh2.org developers have for their users.
7 Jul 2013, 21:45 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Maybe they haven't checked this thread yet. It's not in the site issues forum so unless the coders read every thread religiously maybe they haven't seen this.
7 Jul 2013, 22:22 PM
Donator 11

I love this site, but what happen to gamereplays.org why did the community moved from there to here ? just curious, not a bad thing
7 Jul 2013, 23:08 PM
Coder Red Badge

I agree that we need to be as inclusive as possible when it comes to browsers, but our coders are volunteers and are limited in the time they can commit to the site. There are a lot of other features that are more urgent than supporting this relatively rare edge case.

As for the post above me, the main reasons are freedom and flexibility. We didn't want to be constrained to a section of a larger site with little in the way of control.
10 Jul 2013, 08:52 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Wow, you guys are crazy aggressive! I just got back home to my rig so I can code now, and I'd like to fix this problem. I'm looking into it now.
10 Jul 2013, 12:57 PM

I agree that we need to be as inclusive as possible when it comes to browsers, but our coders are volunteers and are limited in the time they can commit to the site. There are a lot of other features that are more urgent than supporting this relatively rare edge case.

even if his expectations are unrealistic and his behavior is questionable, he is still right in it being an error on this site, and not an error of IE.
also, bashing on IE, today, is pretty much a giveaway of not having tried IE in at least 5 years. nowadays, i'd pick IE over FF any day (using Chrome though).

btw, i admit that i do not really have a clue about setting up web servers and stuff, but i think the one liner you are looking for is:

Code

AddType application/octet .rec

and if adding THAT is too much work, i don't know how anything could get done on this site :-P
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★