Login

russian armor

PCIe Solid State Drive, do I need one?

16 Dec 2015, 18:53 PM

Hi all, looking at putting a computer together from a site called Chillblast.
The specs I have picked are

.I5 6600k Skylake OC 4.4ghz
.Centurion Direct Contact CPU Cooler
.Asus Z170-K Motherboard
.8GB Corsair/Crucial DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)
.Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Graphics Card
.Seagate 1000GB SSHD Hybrid Drive
.Aerocool Premium Grade 600W PSU

But, it is also recommending a 128GB Samsung SM951 M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive, for an extra £80 do I really need one if I have a SSHD, I don't know much about tech and I don't want to buy something I don't need, or don't need yet. oh and would I need an additional fan, or a better fan, their next one up is an Akasa Venom Voodoo Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler, or a Corsair Hydro Series H55 Liquid Cooler
Thanks in advance for you help
16 Dec 2015, 19:17 PM

An ssd reads data faster than a normal hard drive will. This result in windows booting faster, games (independent from internet speeds) loading faster, saving items being quicker, applications and programs loading and booting faster. And that is about it really.

Most people install their operating system on it, thus creating a faster boot etc. Personally I didn't get one and simply wait 15 seconds for my pc to boot or wait a bit longer with loading things like games or applications.

If you think it is worth it, get it. If not, don't!
16 Dec 2015, 19:18 PM
16 Dec 2015, 19:53 PM

With SSD you reducing your loading times (Windows or games) at least to a half. I have one 1 year now and i will never go back.
Its not a must but it is awesome.
Windows takes 45 seconds to load from pressing the button till desktop. And 25 seconds is only the BIOS load time.
17 Dec 2015, 20:54 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Dec 2015, 18:53 PMBlanch
Hi all, looking at putting a computer together from a site called Chillblast.
The specs I have picked are

.I5 6600k Skylake OC 4.4ghz
.Centurion Direct Contact CPU Cooler
.Asus Z170-K Motherboard
.8GB Corsair/Crucial DDR4 2133MHz Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)
.Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Graphics Card
.Seagate 1000GB SSHD Hybrid Drive
.Aerocool Premium Grade 600W PSU

But, it is also recommending a 128GB Samsung SM951 M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive, for an extra £80 do I really need one if I have a SSHD, I don't know much about tech and I don't want to buy something I don't need, or don't need yet. oh and would I need an additional fan, or a better fan, their next one up is an Akasa Venom Voodoo Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler, or a Corsair Hydro Series H55 Liquid Cooler
Thanks in advance for you help

SSHDs are okay, but limited. ssd are a lot better!
i would not recommend to get an m2 ssd, they are too expensive. instead just get a normal sata-ssd, they are just fine for the job.
so get an ssd and a hdd, windows, browser, etc on the ssd, rest on the hdd.

some advice for the rest of the build:
-i personally would get 16gb ram, as they are dual ranked then and much safer for the future. also it could be faster like ddr4 3000
-do you have a specific reason for a nvidia 970?
you should know that the nvivida betrayed the customer, as 0.5 GB of the ram are really slow to access. this leads to microstutters even in 1080p for ramhungry games (gta5 with high res textures, shadow of mordor,...) and it will get worse in the next years. a better alternative would be the amd r9 390 (for example the sapphire nitro), its just as quiet and cool, but has 8GB
-what exact cpu-cooler do you have for this build?
17 Dec 2015, 20:58 PM

I've got CoH2 installed on an SSD, but the difference isn't that great, if any. Most of the work during loading is done by the CPU it seems.
It's great for the system though. Once you go SSD you never go back.

edit: you said PCIe SSD? Get a normal, SATA SSD, you really don't need a PCIe one.
17 Dec 2015, 21:25 PM
Donator 11

PCIe SSD are 3x faster than normal SSDs

But yeah currently the speed of "normal" SSD is definitely enough... if you want to render very very big videos in a very short time you should probably get one.

normal SSD is a must-have!
17 Dec 2015, 22:45 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

I have PCIe SSD's at work and normal SSD's at home and there is really no difference outside of benchmarks.
17 Dec 2015, 22:51 PM
Donator 11

:) No, your fine.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment