Login

russian armor

Becareful not to get banned on steam!!

13 Dec 2015, 08:20 AM

I thought it is better to share this story here:

3 days ago i was browsing store and i saw europe at war in recommended list so i headed to the store page and saw the reviews, i was surprised that this mod had only 14 negative reviews and over 140 positive reviews, specially when i read 3 reviews saying "this is what Coh1 and Coh2 should have been not those garbages they gave us" so i thought maybe some real good players are behind this mod.

I downloaded the mod and i directly jump in skirmish to discover the new units and new abilities, well commanders have like tones of off map reinforcements for 1200manpower, like you can even send 4-5 Upgraded shermans with 2 support halftrucks and 2 riflemen squads (9men each) with bazookas and 2 engineers with flamers (all come in for 1200manpower).... anyway i make it short: balance means nothing in this mod you basically can win a game by just surviving until this ability gets unlocked. me and an old COH1 friend did a 1v1 and the replay of this game can be found here:

http://www.coh2.org/replay/46078/eaw

we basically just showed how unbalanced the game is, because i was totally outplayed from start since PE MGs have range of snipers and he had tiger 2 panthers and 1panzer IV and i had only 3 riflemen squad and was just saving manpower for those off map reinforcement, so although i had no sectors under control with only one click i won the game by sending those offmap things.

I posted a review on community hub and the store page about this mod, a few minutes later i was just getting add requests + New comment notifications + invitations etc etc from who? from the developer and his moderators. they bashed and blamed me to hell that i have no understood this mod and i have no knowledge over CoH1, i checked their stats and what i saw was only Compstomp games and not even a single pvp match stats. so i started to say this mod is great for compstomping because you have tones of options to continue the battle for hours versus AI but for PVP it is completely a garbage in terms of balance. it was not long after that i got warning from steam that my review is "abusive" and has been flagged by the developer, then there were comments from one of the moderators who just didnt back off and kept flaming me to hell just because i said it is unbalanced. at the end i edited my review saying "do not download this mod unless you wanna be flamed by the mods and dev himself they are typical a**holes you are not even allowed to speak out your thoughts"

then another moderator of this mod who already has me on addlist downloads the replay watches it and says : i do not see any balance issues, i check her stats and i only see compstomp. then i question her how come you are able to judge a 1v1 pvp when you only have played versus AI? then this is where i got a ban on forums for this mod and my review is still flagged as abuse to steam moderation team lol. and when you ask them to play versus you so maybe you can prove it "i never play pvp" so please.....

I started browsing the forum to see if i can find any other members who think this is unbalanced and i added one of them, and his review was deleted because of abuse as well, i am guessing he said the game is unbalanced.

So yea guys stick to the main game and keep away from mods which can be downloaded from steam, as it seems there are too many power thirsty kids that can not take suggestion or feedback lol
13 Dec 2015, 09:14 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

If it is COH1, you have to host the replay via Game Replays.
13 Dec 2015, 12:25 PM

If it is COH1, you have to host the replay via Game Replays.

thanks for info i didnt know replays are only for coh2. but if you dont mind let it stay on your website i dont think it hurts? it does not need any honor or anything just for easier access let it be here and i appreciate it. it could be good if you could attach a file to your topic on forums then it would be even easier
13 Dec 2015, 12:32 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

thanks for info i didnt know replays are only for coh2. but if you dont mind let it stay on your website i dont think it hurts? it does not need any honor or anything just for easier access let it be here and i appreciate it. it could be good if you could attach a file to your topic on forums then it would be even easier

I don't mind at all - it's just the site is not coded to enable the replays to work from COH1.
13 Dec 2015, 16:10 PM
Donator 22

well, happens. Probably did not feel great.
Not a pleasure for both parties.

bye the way: I was expecting sth completely different here under your title about being "banned on steam".
13 Dec 2015, 16:40 PM
Donator 11

As for the mod itself it is written in the first line of description that it is historical mod. Historical means imballanced, its that simple. There is part of coh community that favours historical accurancy over ballance and this is the mod by them and for them. It wasnt definitely ever ment as e-sports mod.

Could it be ballanced better? Probably but I guess they need more multiplayer testers. But overall it looks like a mod that would be fun to play with friends, maybe with some handicap to account for imballance and this is probably where it is aimed.
13 Dec 2015, 16:55 PM

You should try a negative comment on Reddit, it works even faster than a Steam review :foreveralone:
13 Dec 2015, 17:56 PM

well, happens. Probably did not feel great.
Not a pleasure for both parties.

bye the way: I was expecting sth completely different here under your title about being "banned on steam".

it is not about that the mod has said it is historical and it means it is unbalanced, as soon as i posted this review i was flamed by the moderator and the developer. they claim it is balanced and i am the only person who says it is unbalanced. and then i get banned from their forums without even posting anything more than a review.

i was also expecting sth completely different after posting my review but i got that :D like some comment from developer "thanks for your feedback" or something lol
13 Dec 2015, 18:33 PM
Donator 11

Sorry to hear this but at least you got to speak your mind and you have spreaded the word. Good job!
13 Dec 2015, 19:25 PM

Sorry to hear this but at least you got to speak your mind and you have spreaded the word. Good job!

thanks bro, i really recommend watching that replay even if you have to download that mod. i just couldnt show the unbalance element any better.
13 Dec 2015, 19:48 PM

I thought it is better to share this story here:

3 days ago i was browsing store and i saw europe at war in recommended list so i headed to the store page and saw the reviews, i was surprised that this mod had only 14 negative reviews and over 140 positive reviews, specially when i read 3 reviews saying "this is what Coh1 and Coh2 should have been not those garbages they gave us" so i thought maybe some real good players are behind this mod.

I downloaded the mod and i directly jump in skirmish to discover the new units and new abilities, well commanders have like tones of off map reinforcements for 1200manpower, like you can even send 4-5 Upgraded shermans with 2 support halftrucks and 2 riflemen squads (9men each) with bazookas and 2 engineers with flamers (all come in for 1200manpower).... anyway i make it short: balance means nothing in this mod you basically can win a game by just surviving until this ability gets unlocked. me and an old COH1 friend did a 1v1 and the replay of this game can be found here:

http://www.coh2.org/replay/46078/eaw

we basically just showed how unbalanced the game is, because i was totally outplayed from start since PE MGs have range of snipers and he had tiger 2 panthers and 1panzer IV and i had only 3 riflemen squad and was just saving manpower for those off map reinforcement, so although i had no sectors under control with only one click i won the game by sending those offmap things.

I posted a review on community hub and the store page about this mod, a few minutes later i was just getting add requests + New comment notifications + invitations etc etc from who? from the developer and his moderators. they bashed and blamed me to hell that i have no understood this mod and i have no knowledge over CoH1, i checked their stats and what i saw was only Compstomp games and not even a single pvp match stats. so i started to say this mod is great for compstomping because you have tones of options to continue the battle for hours versus AI but for PVP it is completely a garbage in terms of balance. it was not long after that i got warning from steam that my review is "abusive" and has been flagged by the developer, then there were comments from one of the moderators who just didnt back off and kept flaming me to hell just because i said it is unbalanced. at the end i edited my review saying "do not download this mod unless you wanna be flamed by the mods and dev himself they are typical a**holes you are not even allowed to speak out your thoughts"

then another moderator of this mod who already has me on addlist downloads the replay watches it and says : i do not see any balance issues, i check her stats and i only see compstomp. then i question her how come you are able to judge a 1v1 pvp when you only have played versus AI? then this is where i got a ban on forums for this mod and my review is still flagged as abuse to steam moderation team lol. and when you ask them to play versus you so maybe you can prove it "i never play pvp" so please.....

I started browsing the forum to see if i can find any other members who think this is unbalanced and i added one of them, and his review was deleted because of abuse as well, i am guessing he said the game is unbalanced.

So yea guys stick to the main game and keep away from mods which can be downloaded from steam, as it seems there are too many power thirsty kids that can not take suggestion or feedback lol

Wait wait why didnt you counter report them for being a-holes? :luvArmy::hansGASM: In CoH1 these kind of units did exist but not to a degree of such. Those MGs though "range of a sniper" :hansGASM:
13 Dec 2015, 21:04 PM
Donator 11

I played some games in that mod and watched your replay. And I must say you are wrong. I mean their behaviour is wrong and strange but I dont really know what is in your rewiew. What I saw and can say is that you are juding ballance after playing one game! Also the fact that in some mods strategies from original dont work doesnt mean its imballanced! I installed it with a feeling that as every historical mod it will be either completely boring or completely imballanced, in fact it is neither of the two. I still prefer original coh to it but it has some great features and didnt break the game.

What you should keep in mind is that in vcoh units deal close to no damage at all, which is funny sometimes, soldiers cant hit each other when hugging their opponents. That is becouse coh is ballanced by nerfing overperforming units, cousing all of them to perform bad.

In this mod they took another route - they made hardcounters really hardcounter. In coh terminology you could say that every single unit is OP! Seems crazy? Maybe but it plays well from I can see after a few matches. Its less forgiving and more deadly, more strategy than micro oriented, definitely needs some time to accustom yourself to it. Less forgiving also means that once you are behind its hard to come back - that is what your replay comes down to, to the point when shermans arrive.

The only real problem I can see in that mod is the problem of all coh1 mods - complexity. Modders always seem to make commander trees as broad as possible (is it some kind of modder competition?) and tech tree filled with as many units as possible, often performing same roles. They always have more concept than the mod really needs. The complexity of the mod makes it really hard to start playing sometimes and this mod, and your statements are the best proofs for it. It also makes it really hard for devs to ballance all the commander trees, that is probably the reason why sherman battlegroup is so cheap. On the other hand if your friend knew that it is coming he would be able to prepare better for example by mining the field.
13 Dec 2015, 23:19 PM

I played some games in that mod and watched your replay. And I must say you are wrong. I mean their behaviour is wrong and strange but I dont really know what is in your rewiew. What I saw and can say is that you are juding ballance after playing one game! Also the fact that in some mods strategies from original dont work doesnt mean its imballanced! I installed it with a feeling that as every historical mod it will be either completely boring or completely imballanced, in fact it is neither of the two. I still prefer original coh to it but it has some great features and didnt break the game.

What you should keep in mind is that in vcoh units deal close to no damage at all, which is funny sometimes, soldiers cant hit each other when hugging their opponents. That is becouse coh is ballanced by nerfing overperforming units, cousing all of them to perform bad.

In this mod they took another route - they made hardcounters really hardcounter. In coh terminology you could say that every single unit is OP! Seems crazy? Maybe but it plays well from I can see after a few matches. Its less forgiving and more deadly, more strategy than micro oriented, definitely needs some time to accustom yourself to it. Less forgiving also means that once you are behind its hard to come back - that is what your replay comes down to, to the point when shermans arrive.

The only real problem I can see in that mod is the problem of all coh1 mods - complexity. Modders always seem to make commander trees as broad as possible (is it some kind of modder competition?) and tech tree filled with as many units as possible, often performing same roles. They always have more concept than the mod really needs. The complexity of the mod makes it really hard to start playing sometimes and this mod, and your statements are the best proofs for it. It also makes it really hard for devs to ballance all the commander trees, that is probably the reason why sherman battlegroup is so cheap. On the other hand if your friend knew that it is coming he would be able to prepare better for example by mining the field.

that you can win the game by simply saving manpower for those off map reinforcement is not wrong to you? my enemy had everything in this game versus me, i only spent 1200 manpower and i won him with one click and i had almost no sectors under my control in entire game time. our judgement comes from 4 games and i uploaded only one because others were team games and it was versus people who were not really good at all so it wouldnt prove anything.

manpower is the only resource which does not need sector to be gained,and as you see the only thing you need in this mod to win the battle is manpower. it is not only armored company which can be OP like this, same goes about wehrmacht defensive doctrine you can try them to see how OP they are with those off map reinforcement.

from the developer coh stats it is clearly noticeable this mod is %100 designed for compstomping because the AI difficulity is really high if you play against it you will see it plays like a player who has maphack and monitors your moves step by step. so they brought such huge commander abilities to be able to beat this AI with any faction, it leads to "only action" battle between players and the AI. just like COH opposing fronts panzer elite campaign which you can send 2 jagdpanthers at some levels to have huge tank battles. but this in pvp is another story. it is only one sided battle for the army which has better off map reinforcement. would you bother yourself to spend fuel + man power and tech tree buildings to make a sherman for 400 manpower and some fuel or just save 1200 manpower and call in an entire USA armored units?
14 Dec 2015, 00:08 AM
Donator 11

that you can win the game by simply saving manpower for those off map reinforcement is not wrong to you? my enemy had everything in this game versus me, i only spent 1200 manpower and i won him with one click and i had almost no sectors under my control in entire game time. our judgement comes from 4 games and i uploaded only one because others were team games and it was versus people who were not really good at all so it wouldnt prove anything.

manpower is the only resource which does not need sector to be gained,and as you see the only thing you need in this mod to win the battle is manpower. it is not only armored company which can be OP like this, same goes about wehrmacht defensive doctrine you can try them to see how OP they are with those off map reinforcement.

from the developer coh stats it is clearly noticeable this mod is %100 designed for compstomping because the AI difficulity is really high if you play against it you will see it plays like a player who has maphack and monitors your moves step by step. so they brought such huge commander abilities to be able to beat this AI with any faction, it leads to "only action" battle between players and the AI. just like COH opposing fronts panzer elite campaign which you can send 2 jagdpanthers at some levels to have huge tank battles. but this in pvp is another story. it is only one sided battle for the army which has better off map reinforcement. would you bother yourself to spend fuel + man power and tech tree buildings to make a sherman for 400 manpower and some fuel or just save 1200 manpower and call in an entire USA armored units?

I agree that 1200 is not costly enough. As for manpower only, all coh1 callins are manpower only and actually there are such huge gamechanger callins like us battle group, stuhs or hetzers in original game.

I cant agree that the AI deals well with the mod, in my opinion expert is even dumber than in original game. In every coh mod I played, including this one, AI totally couldnt keep up with changes made to the game and produced wrong units all the time. I would said that it is even more easy to beat AI in this mod thanks to how complex and different it is. In games I played vs AI it couldnt do a thing, even though these were my first games and I didnt know what are the units performances and I build like one of every unit to test it. That would never be possible against a human.

I have one idea why they thought 1200 is a good price. Maybe thats because in this mod fuel means basically nothing, noone is starved. That way manpower becomes only resource. Also in most serious coh matches I played it was completely impossible to gather more than 800 manpower. The 800 for pershing or tiger is already very hard to get against equal opponent that pressures you. That may be the rationale. Another thing is that the mod features lots of static frontline fights becouse of how good all types of emplacements and trenches are. Maybe they wanted to add something that would break the contention. But yeah, the number of tanks and low cost makes huge impact.
14 Dec 2015, 01:24 AM

Europe at War..... that mod is just terrible. I know it's a realism and historical accuracy mod but my god...

It's not balanced. It's not designed to be. But it doesn't even achieve perfect imbalance. There's simply no way to express how poorly thought out the mod is. You can have a realistic and historically accurate mod and have it be balanced. When you say "It's unbalanced because it's realistic" you're only kidding yourself, anyone who has studied game design knows that a realistic game can be balanced. You can make one sides army cheaper and faster to train - the US for example who contrast to the elite German forces who are stronger but more limited so numerically the USF have a 2 for one advantage and a manoeuvre advantage since they have 2 squads to the Germans one.

HOWEVER EaW goes for the massive call ins that totally shift the direction of the game. Seriously, it's good for comp stomps but against other players, one side is going to leave that game feeling robbed.

One the developer reaction. -_- There seem to be a lot of people getting into modding who seem to think that they are immune to critique just because People don't understand "their" vision. it really is quite sad...

Maybe I'll take another look at EaW and see if they are as bad as you say.
14 Dec 2015, 08:19 AM

Europe at War..... that mod is just terrible. I know it's a realism and historical accuracy mod but my god...

It's not balanced. It's not designed to be. But it doesn't even achieve perfect imbalance. There's simply no way to express how poorly thought out the mod is. You can have a realistic and historically accurate mod and have it be balanced. When you say "It's unbalanced because it's realistic" you're only kidding yourself, anyone who has studied game design knows that a realistic game can be balanced. You can make one sides army cheaper and faster to train - the US for example who contrast to the elite German forces who are stronger but more limited so numerically the USF have a 2 for one advantage and a manoeuvre advantage since they have 2 squads to the Germans one.

HOWEVER EaW goes for the massive call ins that totally shift the direction of the game. Seriously, it's good for comp stomps but against other players, one side is going to leave that game feeling robbed.

One the developer reaction. -_- There seem to be a lot of people getting into modding who seem to think that they are immune to critique just because People don't understand "their" vision. it really is quite sad...

Maybe I'll take another look at EaW and see if they are as bad as you say.

well you are gonna waste 3GB hard disk space then :D haha you can check the replay i have attached here, i mean i did my best to prove how broken this mod is and i thought developer is friendly guy who takes feedback because his first comment to me was actually "okay" but after i saw i keep getting notifications and messages about a new comment added etc and saw the other 2 developer/moderators are only bashing me and keep telling me i have no knowledge of the game then it leads to abusing me on steam chat etc i changed the headline of review. the original review can be found in the community hub that is actually where they show their true behavior and you can find a link to it on Richi's comment under my store page review which can be found here:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Arashenstein/recommended/342370/

but anyway back to topic, suppose you know some dude is cheating in a fps game and just to prove this guy has cheat you go on his computer then turn off the screen and start shooting blindly and then you turn the screen back on and you see you have killed the entire enemy team with headshot, we kinda did the same here:
my friend who played PE played normally and serious as you can see he had combination of everything, what i did was only sending my troops to frontline to get shot or either gain some kills so i could get XP to unlock that reinforcement units, i did not care at all about how much fuel or ammo income i have i only saved manpower and i stayed in base until it was unlocked then i just won the game by simply selecting this option. believe it or not, i did not even notice he had a tiger because it got killed in less than a second by those shermans, he told me that on teamspeak then i looked at tiger's wrecks and i was like LOL!
14 Dec 2015, 19:00 PM
Donator 22

sorry to see this.
My recommendation is : If there is a bunch of people who do not like you or what you are saying, then walk away.
If possible, refrain from starting a war and enjoy your stay at Coh2.org. It is nice here.
Or play coh2.
honestly, if they do not want you, so be it. Neither do you probably.
14 Dec 2015, 20:55 PM

sorry to see this.
My recommendation is : If there is a bunch of people who do not like you or what you are saying, then walk away.
If possible, refrain from starting a war and enjoy your stay at Coh2.org. It is nice here.
Or play coh2.
honestly, if they do not want you, so be it. Neither do you probably.

i brought the topic here cause i knew they wouldnt follow it here as this site is not made for compstompers :) glad to see others opinions though.
18 Dec 2015, 14:52 PM

You should try a negative comment on Reddit, it works even faster than a Steam review :foreveralone:

dude thanks alot for your suggestion i shared the review on reddit, not only a lot of people supported me i got unbanned by main steam admins too haha they even attacked the developer for his behavior xD :D jesus man good job thanks a lot
18 Dec 2015, 15:15 PM

I know that feel, bro. Same thing with lots of games - noobs dont care about balance or stuff, they just love to play countless hours at one match against retarded CPU and they call it "fun".
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★