Login

russian armor

Units, what they do, to what purpose. vcoh/coh2.

28 Jun 2013, 06:13 AM

I understand that coh2 is totally different game than vcoh.
I'm finally okay with the capping mechanism and the units deployment and the true sight.
But I have a real big problem with the units themsefves, the army composition, the squads duty on the field and the soft and hard counters.
vcoh was hell of a game about this.

I'll just go on with some vcoh units and tell what they can do -

bike/jeep : they can't be played the same way and aren't suppose to but globally they are used as scout, sniper spot, solf/hard counter snip, unit push, unit block.

Rifles : can deal with pretty much everything before werh T4 at close combat, can use nades, sticky, bar, suppression, can capwalk, scoutwalk, nade/sticky walk (ok, some of you guys don't even know what I'm talking about and some others will call those stuffs bug abuse, but I personally think it's pro).

m8 : pretty much useless without the upgrades which make it the only unit in vcoh costing ammo during the build. Very good AC, can pick inf with mg, can deal damage to up tiers tanks, place m8 mines, can straff other tanks or crews, low health, needs constant repair.

puma : anti inf AC, scout and chase unit, fire rate makes it very powerful when ennemy is in red cover, can be up gunned to AT vs a US T3 or T4 if vetted and spammed.

Rangers : higher dps than rifles especially with thompson upgrades, bazooka pretty useless at vet0 but still there - message will be : hey, t3 armor, get the fuck out of the area, it's mine. Can deal a lot of damage while in building, can really lock an area or force retreat ennemy squads, expensive, big mp drain.

Stormtroopers : ambush, hunt, squads/tanks extermination, slow and expensive.

All this speech to say that I don't understand what to do with the coh2 units. In vcoh each unit had its own duty and combo and soft/hard counters.
In coh2, I don't get it. The only units that remind me of coh1 are the conscripts. They can deal with different stuffs in different ways - okay right now, their abilities might need some buffs, like at nades which are just useless right now.

What are the shock troops for ? Really ? They have mp guns, nades and smoke nades. What are they supposed to do vs any kind of vehicles ? Nothing ? Is there 1 infantery unit in coh1 that can't deal, scare or destroy vehicles ? No. Eng put mines, rifles use stickies, volk faust, gren schreck, zooka, rlrs, even the fucking US mg can go shoot ATround vs light vehicles..

Coh2 is more like I get my stuff, you get yours - okay, we fight a bit, but no harm, just for the lulz - and then it's a big pizza party when the vps get low ; hey scheld. No real actions, I mean if I flank a ht with a conscript, NOBODY CARES right ? At nades are bad and reload time is too long to get 2 of them. While if a ht in vcoh get flanked by a rifle, the ht will have a very bad time..
28 Jun 2013, 06:48 AM
Patrion 27

G0 play 100 matches and I think you'll answer all of your questions.
Seb
28 Jun 2013, 08:02 AM
Admin Black Badge

Just to answer your example, shock troops = brit commandos
28 Jun 2013, 08:28 AM

T70= 2.601 T17
PGrens= PE 4 man MP44
Grens= similar to volks at start but with vet2 they are like vcoh grens
T34= shitty Sherman with ram ability
M3A1 Scout car= Bren in Bren :o
T34/85= M18/Sherman hybrid
ISU152= Stuh/Stug hybrid with flak 88 range
SU85/StugIII= Firefly
Guards= like a Brit inf section with Bren lmg and piats
Katyusha= crappy Calliope
Elefant= Jagdpanther
Brumbar= heavy armor Stuh
Panzerwerfer= stuka
Pak43= super 17lber
German AC= PE scout car, works like a upgunned Puma with the 20mm upgrade
IS2= terrible Pershing, do not buy
28 Jun 2013, 11:10 AM

G0 play 100 matches and I think you'll answer all of your questions.

Exactly. When vCoH was released, you certainly didn't know about all those subtle factors either. It took YEARS for vcoh to develop the high-level play we're used to seeing today. You just need to start playing a ton of games and wait for a metagame to establish. This will take some time, but it will happen.
I think that most people, and especially the pros, approach the game like vcoh, where this is a different game. Things like smoke grenades do have their application with true sight, it just hasn't quite seeped in yet.
In half a year, maybe earlier, people will debate where to put their flare trips instead of complaining that they don't have a clue about the units, if you get the drift.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★