Login

russian armor

effective not-meta commanders

3 Dec 2015, 01:31 AM

recently i've been pretty sick of playing meta, shocks is2, guards t34/85 and advanced warfare. so i have been experimenting with new commanders and lo and behold, i found this little gem that is just so fun to play right now.

soviet reserve commander.

oh my god, AT partisans are the new shit. screw guards, screw shocks. ill take my AT partisans + ppsh conscripts instead.

having an effective infantry AT really throws off german players. charging panzers? garden dat, AT nades and schrecks to its ass.

come share your hidden fun in the game.
3 Dec 2015, 01:35 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Conscript Support Tactics is actually pretty good. All fairly solid stuff in it (yes, even Hit the Dirt - you're quick enough, you can use it to ignore suppression, and it's better than actually being in light cover now because the squad won't bunch up to all be exploded) - were Soviets' base tier units perfectly balanced, Conscript Support Tactics probably would be just as perfect.
3 Dec 2015, 01:45 AM

Shout-out to new and improved partisan tactics
Partisans are in a good spot right now
3 Dec 2015, 01:46 AM

Effective and non-meta are mutually exclusive.
Meta = effective tbh.
Unless the game is really well balanced and the difference between the worst and the best is tiny.
3 Dec 2015, 01:48 AM

conscripts support, i can see it work really well with a special weap regiment brit partner, if vickers can be picked by conscripts
3 Dec 2015, 01:55 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Meta = effective tbh.
Unless the game is really well balanced and the difference between the worst and the best is tiny.

Iunno, pretty common for games to have tiers to the effect of "This is for...": "if you like winning", "being ok", "if you're trolling".
3 Dec 2015, 08:22 AM

I gotta throw the windustry card right here since i've come up with a great build order for them :D

Sad that they're going to change the fuel income :guyokay:
3 Dec 2015, 08:33 AM

Meta = effective tbh.

You're mostly right, meta tends to be "low complexity, high effect".

Still, there are a small number of commanders that can be very effective if you're ready to put your CPM up 50% :D
3 Dec 2015, 08:45 AM

Meta and effective do not mean the same thing. As Bulgakov explained it mostly has to do with complexity.

For instance, I have an effective strat for the Soviet Defensive commander that is not meta.

Commander: Soviet Defensive Tactics
Build order:
T1
engineer
sniper
conscript
conscript
conscript
medics
120mm mortar if opponent has a FHQ or is playing defensively around garrisons.
DHKS HMG if opponent is infantry spamming.
T3 T70 rush
More T3 units or T4.

How effective this strat is depends on micro (mini mine spam, using flares to make sure your T70 won't get ambushed etc) and your ability to adapt to your opponent. For example, if the map has many houses you could swap a conscript with a penal troop flamer. If the opponent makes an early Kubel you counter with a Scout Car. etc.
3 Dec 2015, 08:53 AM
Patrion 27

I gotta throw the windustry card right here since i've come up with a great build order for them :D

Sad that they're going to change the fuel income :guyokay:

I will gladly take Fuel Drops and Repair Stations over the crippling Industry income. I would like to see the KV1 replace the KV8 in the commander though.

My favorite non-meta that used to be meta commander is Airborne. Pathfinders with the 5% vision bulletin manning the fixed .50 and spotting for Pack Howitzer are so fun.
3 Dec 2015, 10:23 AM

I will gladly take Fuel Drops and Repair Stations over the crippling Industry income. I would like to see the KV1 replace the KV8 in the commander though.

Well, the basic idea of the commader is going to be changed completely because of the fuel drops, you were supposed to spam as many tanks with as few inf squads as possible.

But my BO goes something like this:

2 cons
T2
Maxim and Zis
Medics
T3
T70 or su76 if you need
T4
T34 or Su85, again depening on what you need and if you're in a lead just go for T34
*At this point you should start getting rid of your cons, try to steal at guns or other teamweapons with them
KV-8
KV-2
*After this getting T34 against Elefant and JTs and Su85 if you're facing a tiger

http://www.coh2.org/replay/45584/ruka-vs-windustry here's a great example how to play this commander effectively
3 Dec 2015, 12:45 PM

At the moment im really enjoying the sov anti infantry tactics, there is so much synergy between its ability's. yesterday i floated around 300 munis (bcs owning all the muni points) and i managed to force a blob to retreat with fear propaganda , so i dropped a recon in the enemy base and sent a incendiary barrage --> REKT This commander is so fun to use especially vs people who use CAS bcs they often get a lot of infantry (often with blobs) and now you can use (and copy) their strategy against them :crazy: its like the sovjet version of CAS but way more effective :D
3 Dec 2015, 13:15 PM

Lend lease

6 cons

1 dshk

guards

3 shermans

gg

Advanced warfare

5 cons with ppsh

2 T-34-85

gg

Recon company

4 riflemen

2 ir pathfinders

muni cache

IR barrage spam

Combat group

gg

Partisan commander

Partisans

Partisans

Partisans

Partisans

Partisans

AT partisans

g freaking g
3 Dec 2015, 16:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Dec 2015, 01:31 AMwongtp
oh my god, AT partisans are the new shit. screw guards, screw shocks. ill take my AT partisans + ppsh conscripts instead.

Those AT partisan can run headup against double Ostwinds that are kiting... and kill them when they dont have any room to move anymore.
And i tought that the retreating units that are killed with ppsh Partisan was bad enought.
3 Dec 2015, 19:38 PM
Patrion 14

for 2v2+, one word: Bee Four.
3 Dec 2015, 19:45 PM
Patrion 27

At the moment im really enjoying the sov anti infantry tactics, there is so much synergy between its ability's. yesterday i floated around 300 munis (bcs owning all the muni points) and i managed to force a blob to retreat with fear propaganda , so i dropped a recon in the enemy base and sent a incendiary barrage --> REKT This commander is so fun to use especially vs people who use CAS bcs they often get a lot of infantry (often with blobs) and now you can use (and copy) their strategy against them :crazy: its like the sovjet version of CAS but way more effective :D

Yes! I had the lightbulb go off a while back that Anti-Inf is the anti-CAS commander. Prop vs lmg blobs, incendiary vs the pak wall and Katyushas to profit from Prop.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★