Login

russian armor

Strafe from germans is ridiculous

29 Jun 2013, 19:06 PM

Its intended, and it deals 750 damage. vCoH had it as well, but it doesn't necessarily hit troops.
1 Jul 2013, 06:18 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jun 2013, 06:26 AMNullist
Raise muni cost.

Except that doesn't fix its brokeness. It would still be better than any Soviet strike even with increased cost.

Radius and duration are too long. It's too good at killing infantry despite the fact that it pins everything, including retreating units. I've had entire Guard squads killed by Strafe after retreating. Seen 6 man Zis guns decrewed since you can't actually get out of the radius fast enough.

Not to mention, a blob of PGrens can just waltz right in strafe radius and clean up everything while the Soviets are helplessly pinned.

At 3cp, the cost is about right. The ability itself just needs to be nerfed into the ground to be balanced properly.
1 Jul 2013, 15:49 PM

Except that doesn't fix its brokeness. It would still be better than any Soviet strike even with increased cost.

Radius and duration are too long. It's too good at killing infantry despite the fact that it pins everything, including retreating units. I've had entire Guard squads killed by Strafe after retreating. Seen 6 man Zis guns decrewed since you can't actually get out of the radius fast enough.

Not to mention, a blob of PGrens can just waltz right in strafe radius and clean up everything while the Soviets are helplessly pinned.

At 3cp, the cost is about right. The ability itself just needs to be nerfed into the ground to be balanced properly.

All true.

Thinking about it, it could pass 3 times and deal low to moderate damage depending on blobbiness, and only in the designated area or perhaps sector. It is, after all 120 munitions.

Why the damage?
Compare a balanced strafing run (that deals no damage, only suppression), to Fear Propaganda. Not sure how much it is, but back in vCoH, propaganda war was 100 muns: a guaranteed retreat. That's a guaranteed engagement win. Supression is a guaranteed engagement only if you have troops killing the supressed units or if it bought you long enough time (3 runs) to bring troops there, for 120 munitions. so it should balance itself.
1 Jul 2013, 23:48 PM

Its intended, and it deals 750 damage. vCoH had it as well, but it doesn't necessarily hit troops.

I played a game yesterday where my plane was shot down and landed on my teamates blob wiping out 3 1/2 pg squads
2 Jul 2013, 03:07 AM

It happens.

I play a lot of 2v2, and me and my teammate spam the hell out of recon planes. Not once have we ever witnessed a single downed plane crash on either us or the enemy... yet.
2 Jul 2013, 04:05 AM

I play mostly 2s and this strafing run is seen in almost every game. The huge area of effect and long duration make it a no brainer to take into every match. It's rather telling when almost every German team I've played recently uses this commander for both of their players. Something's got to give.

While the ability might be too cheap, merely increasing the cost is not enough. No ability, however expensive, should pin a player in his base for a full minute. It's one thing to force a retreat, it's something else to force a pin. The area of effect and duration need to come way down.
2 Jul 2013, 09:07 AM
Patrion 27

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Jun 2013, 07:42 AMUGBEAR
By the way, the plane crashing is annoying, and it can actually do a lot of damage when crashing( Don;t know if it's intended)

Perfectly relevant clip of just that happening. Pretty cool: http://www.twitch.tv/entik/c/2488286
2 Jul 2013, 09:31 AM

Perfectly relevant clip of just that happening. Pretty cool: http://www.twitch.tv/entik/c/2488286

actually crashing planes abuse were fixed in vCOH, after fix, planes just crash outside of the map more often, make much less impact to game play, it's fun, but it's not really good for a competitive play, hope they fix it soon
2 Jul 2013, 09:37 AM

Permanently Banned
Ok then.

Reduce dmg and remove affect on retreating units (which is obviously not intended).
2 Jul 2013, 09:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jun 2013, 14:50 PMInverse
It's pretty silly, you're right, but it's also prohibitively expensive.

No it's not. It's only 120 munitions. Also the doctrine it comes with has Blitz trucks that are OP's that they can sit on the munitions and pretty much spam it all game long once its unlocked. As it stands right now it's an "I Win" button.

It hangs around way too long
Pins troops on retreat
is spammable
and deals too much damage
it also is unlocked too early in the CP's

2 Jul 2013, 11:37 AM

It's op, especially with opel blitz spam, but soviets need less manpower
2 Jul 2013, 13:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jul 2013, 04:05 AMFuryn
I play mostly 2s and this strafing run is seen in almost every game. The huge area of effect and long duration make it a no brainer to take into every match. It's rather telling when almost every German team I've played recently uses this commander for both of their players. Something's got to give.

While the ability might be too cheap, merely increasing the cost is not enough. No ability, however expensive, should pin a player in his base for a full minute. It's one thing to force a retreat, it's something else to force a pin. The area of effect and duration need to come way down.

While it absolutely is overpowered in its current state, don't confuse that with the fact that every other german commander is terrible right now. Unless you need an elefant tank for some reason, there is literally no reason to pick any other commander. Not because Opel is necessarily OP (except for strafe), but because the rest are worthless.
2 Jul 2013, 15:45 PM

Bridgehead is actually quite nice. Most other commanders need a rework though imo.
2 Jul 2013, 16:28 PM

Bridgehead is actually quite nice. Most other commanders need a rework though imo.

I actually use Spearhead, while my teammate uses Assault. Opel Blitz trucks give too many munitions, so we have all sorts of stuff flying around all the time and coming down on the enemy.

3 Jul 2013, 03:38 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post2 Jul 2013, 13:11 PMShazz

While it absolutely is overpowered in its current state, don't confuse that with the fact that every other german commander is terrible right now. Unless you need an elefant tank for some reason, there is literally no reason to pick any other commander. Not because Opel is necessarily OP (except for strafe), but because the rest are worthless.

Any German commander with smoke is not useless. There are 3 of them.

And no commander is more useless than NVKD.
3 Jul 2013, 10:48 AM

I'm not for or against 1 side but this strafe is completely broken and I won't play against it anymore even after just 2 games on 4vs4 or 3vs3 maps. I think in 2on2 you still have a chance to not see the abuse unless you are already losing. However....it's laughable that the germans late game can not only spam huge tanks but spam unbeatable inf pinning abilities when they don't even really need it. Sure it would be great if it just focused on THAT area that you lay it down at, but pinning in base and stuff...it's just stupid and it ruins the game. It's not even fun to go against because you pretty much can't use your infantry at all.... so all your saved up vetted troops...just sit.... That cannot be how Relic intended this Strafe to be...no way. I certainly understand why a German fan would NOT want it nerfed because it's fun to do to the opposing team...to an extent.... but it's not competitive at all. It's basically like hey...this is broken so let's get some wins with it.
3 Jul 2013, 16:18 PM

Maxim MG still shoots when pinned with red sign, they should only fix this about the strafe.
3 Jul 2013, 22:09 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jul 2013, 16:18 PMMakaay
Maxim MG still shoots when pinned with red sign, they should only fix this about the strafe.

Confirmed Strafe spammer MVGame
1 of 4 Relic postsRelic 4 Jul 2013, 01:40 AM
Developer Relic Badge

We are looking into this, hopefully we will have something out soon. Unfortunately a change won't be ready by next patch.
4 Jul 2013, 02:08 AM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Jun 2013, 14:50 PMInverse
It's pretty silly, you're right, but it's also prohibitively expensive.
120 muni is actually cheap for the duration it has, you need a muni income of +60 a min to be able to spam it. which is highly possible with 2 (maybe 3) opels. since they give +5 ammo every time they give you the loadout. i don't know how spamable it is in 1v1 but its extremely spamable in 2v2
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★