Login

russian armor

Getting MGs out of houses efficiently (Minsk Pocket)

26 Oct 2015, 16:54 PM

Hi everyone,

As the title says, I am struggling to cap points on Minsk Pocket that are guarded only by one MG in a house. Flanking it with vg's takes quite some time because of the walk needed to get on the flank of the house. Approaching it pins my vg's before they can throw a grenade. ISG takes a while. And.bringing armor seems a bit overreacting to counter one MG and distracts it from my main force.

What does everyone here.think is best?
26 Oct 2015, 17:36 PM

Flak halftrack attack.

OKW lacks smoke and troop transports so your only real option is to spread out 2-3 folks and bumrush it or use vehicles.

If you get veterancy sturmpios or falls you can use smoke made of course.
26 Oct 2015, 19:54 PM

Well the flak halftrack isn't a good solution imo. If they are soviet than they can make at pretty quick and well flak halftrack doesn't work well against brits. Your best bet is to invest the time for flanking maneuvers, or wait for the isg, or personally... if I can't take a spot because of something like this, I focus on the rest of the map. So unless they make this mg move, it is just going to sit there being useless until your isg arrives to clear it out.
26 Oct 2015, 20:26 PM

I'm not an OKW fan, nor do I play them much at all for that reason because they are such an obvious crippleware faction. I play against them frequently, and love playing a split faction team featuring them or them solo in 1v1 auto. I know that generally, it'll be an pretty certain route and win.

IMO, an OKW player generally has to be notably superior to win vs any opposing faction -or a masochist.

Lack of inherent smoke capability is a significant disadvantage for OKW.

Flame is great for obstacle removal, so when the new OKW Commander comes out this weekend, much as I detest supporting SEGA's BS PFA DLC, if you must play OKW, buy it for the Flammenwerfers and Flammenhetzer. You'll still have to flank in conjunction with other inf to use the former, and later even possibly with the Hetzer to avoid covering AT unless you already have overwhelming tactical field superiority. But problem solved. Garrisoned MG gets a choice. Flee early or fry.

Flanking IR StG 44s do a pretty good job fast, but are also doctrinal.

Bottom line, currently no matter what you use including le IG, its going to take more critical time and micro than solutions available to your opponent generally, which places OKW play at a significant (load shedding) disadvantage IMV&E.
26 Oct 2015, 21:37 PM

I just choose not to play on that map to be honest.
28 Oct 2015, 21:47 PM

in that position u said mmmm use 2 volks ,let the first one pin then another can grenade(dont stick them together)
28 Oct 2015, 22:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Oct 2015, 16:54 PMWoco
points on Minsk Pocket that are guarded only by one MG in a house.

Are you talking 1v1 automatch play or what?

Minsk Pocket is a map requiring a specific strategy. Until realised, players generally will hate playing the map. I used to. Now I, we seldom lose on it.

Point of note, for the reason stated in the paragraph above, IME 1v1 this map does not fare well for OKW.

I'll answer your Minsk Pocket specific question re dealing with MGs in those two corner houses adjacent the corner flags once I know the game status you are playing. Or at least how I would deal with it generally, and especially if I was OKW player. However, I would also caveat that with if I was an OKW player, this is one of the maps I would likely veto.

31 Oct 2015, 10:15 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Oct 2015, 22:50 PMWerw0lf

Are you talking 1v1 automatch play or what?

Minsk Pocket is a map requiring a specific strategy. Until realised, players generally will hate playing the map. I used to. Now I, we seldom lose on it.

Point of note, for the reason stated in the paragraph above, IME 1v1 this map does not fare well for OKW.

I'll answer your Minsk Pocket specific question re dealing with MGs in those two corner houses adjacent the corner flags once I know the game status you are playing. Or at least how I would deal with it generally, and especially if I was OKW player. However, I would also caveat that with if I was an OKW player, this is one of the maps I would likely veto.

Yes, 1v1, more specifically: OKW (me) vs SU. And I am definitely interested in you Minsk Pocket strategies, and what you think is so bad about it for OKW?
2 Nov 2015, 19:59 PM

I prepared a detailed reply only to have the site time out and nerf it. Lost. I'll respond again when I have time.
2 Nov 2015, 20:04 PM

Just leave the point completely and wait for some armour. If you focus too much you lise manpower and focus
3 Nov 2015, 14:47 PM

I prepared a detailed reply only to have the site time out and nerf it. Lost. I'll respond again when I have time.

I am very interested in your reply... Better draft it in Word next time ;)
4 Nov 2015, 00:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Nov 2015, 14:47 PMWoco
I am very interested in your reply... Better draft it in Word next time ;)

Pretty much what Iron Emperor said, just with more detail and greater in depth explanation why and how. In brief for now, I may rewrite if I feel so inclined when I have more time.

Winning on Minsk isn't about the flags. If opponent deploys MGs into those two buildings adjacent the flags in opening, good! He's down what he field and can concentrate in the ALL critical centre corridor. He who establishes control in centre and maintains it wins on that map. Knowing that is the key to victory.

OKW is particularly vulnerable on that map because of that central corridor and both fuels being within it.

Just ignore the flags and MGs if he deploys them within those corner buildings in opening game. Don't go near them. If he eventually wakes up and moves them, try to catch them en-route to being redeployed. :) If he doesn't, good.

By controlling centre, you'll have (fuel) and so something hard to make them flee soon enough, AND importantly for OKW, be able to keep up with SOV tech to armour and possibly before he can if you can keep SOV cut off from fuel so they can't tech to a hard mobile counter.
13 Nov 2015, 22:39 PM
Senior Social Media Manager Badge

I personally love this map as OKW, for evil, evil reasons. You can be freakishly aggressive with your medIcal battlegroup hq due to all of the hedges and walls. Pak-43s teach ISU-152s who runs the show. You can always outmaneuver British players trying to play defensively. You can even get 2 ISGs! I especially love multiplayer on this map, but you seem to be curious about the 1v1 case so I will cover that as best I can.
The first thing to realize is that you only need to hold 1 vp for most of the game. I agree with werewolf because OKW wins usually end with a surrender, not a drain out (that's not to say you should never take vps if you have the opportunity ). As long as you hold on to vital resources, you can roll out your forces. In 1v1s on minsk, I usually go for defensive doctrine or Luftwaffles for the lovely little pin machines sold at ostruppen price that go by the name mg 34. I t is easy enough to use your infantry to deny the enemy machineguns access to buildings along your front line that would deny you resources while setting up your own inexpensive anti-harassment machines. If an mg does get an mg in the middle building, use a bait volks on one side to get suppressed, then use a flanking volks to launch an incendiary grenade. You also have the option to ignore their mg and come back when you have tanks. I would personally advise against getting a flak HT but that's just me.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★