Login

russian armor

Countering Ostruppen + Sniper as Brits

14 Oct 2015, 12:27 PM

Any ideas on how to beat this? Considering the reinforcing costs my Tommys get basically outnumbered 2 to 1 in every fight with Osttruppen and if you can't maintain building control it's really hard to get back into the game. Since you dont have any immediate flameweapons or other means to force the enemy out of cover it seems pretty easy for the ostheer-player to just stall you until he's got SCs or even a flamehalftrack.

Once the OH-Player decides to get a sniper aswell im basically forced to get a sniper myself to not bleed to death. Problem is, since Osttruppen are so cheap a sniper is pretty cost-ineffective. If I start with one or even two MGs I might be able to hold back the Osttruppen but force my opponent into going sniper, which again forces me to go sniper. The thing that seems to work best so for me is too just blob your tommies and bruteforce your way through, but there has to be a better way.

The biggest problem for me with this strat is that you can just swarm the map with osttruppen, making it super difficult for the brit to hold any part of the map. Also he cant invest to much MP into further tommys, since he needs to tech up fairly quickly to get at least an AT gun or a sniper to not get taken out of the game by snipers or light vehicles.

Tips?
14 Oct 2015, 16:43 PM

Play balance preview. The reinforce cost for tommies is reduced and wasp is buffed.

If you don't want to, there's always the double vickers into sniper/mortar pit.
14 Oct 2015, 16:58 PM

14 Oct 2015, 17:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Oct 2015, 16:43 PMMuxsus
Play balance preview. The reinforce cost for tommies is reduced and wasp is buffed.

Basically this. When Brits got their super OP units nerfed Relic forgot to buff their terrible units. This is because #RelicCannotIntoBalance.

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Oct 2015, 16:43 PMMuxsus

If you don't want to, there's always the double vickers into sniper/mortar pit.

This is an awful build don't try it against Osttruppen Wehr. Against OKW it's okay.
14 Oct 2015, 18:41 PM

Balance preview aside, I honestly don't think there's any viable build against ost / sniper build in an urban map especially.

The build I've used to a very limited success was:
-2 Inf sections: so you only build one extra.
-On maps with a safe sector close to your base: build a fuel cache.
-Tech up to platoon command post immediately
-Get 2-3 engineers: use them to clear houses, also place mines at doors, behind cover and approaches to cutoffs.
-Get a sniper
-Get an AEC to counter the inevitable scout car or halftrack.
-Get another Infantry Section.
-Centaur

The basic reasoning is you want to avoid the manpower loss associated with early infantry sections or mgs and give yourself a tool to clear houses with focused fire. That's where the engineers come in.

The fuel cache (when possible) hedges the early AEC build which is only useful against light vehicles.

If you have access to the special weapons regiment, you can use the tank hunters to counter the scout car.

When you get the sniper, fire off a safe shot to let the adversary know you have a sniper. This should have the effect of forcing the OST player to be more conservative with his sniper. The goal is not necessarily to kill it, but to make him a paperweight.
15 Oct 2015, 18:01 PM

Thanks for the tips, but I can't imagine this to work. Rankwise im talking about #20-#100, which is basically the usual opponents I get. Getting 2-3 Sappers before your Sniper delays your own Sniper way to much. Also bruteforcing Osttruppen out of houses with sappers doesn't sound too costeffective. Also going AEC is kinda countereffective if you want to get a centaur. And since has loads of Osttruppen, he can easily faust it and penalize my investment.

Sniper-wise: letting the enemy know I have a sniper is the last thing I want. My top priority is to counter his sniper ergo I will do everything to not let him know I got one myself. I get your idea behind it tho.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★