Login

russian armor

Killing Kingtigers as USF (2v2)

2 Oct 2015, 23:13 PM

When the game starts to drag on into the later game, I tend to have trouble finishing off those dastardly KingTigers.

I can fend them off well enough with 2 jacksons. But they will usually just pull back for repairs, come back, do some damage while tanking tank shots, pull back and repeat. It's nearly impossible to give chase with jacksons, so how do you guys usually put the final nail in these monster?
2 Oct 2015, 23:27 PM

Since you clearly stated it's you who is having issues playing as USF then starting the thread on the strat section would have been better.

By the time your opponent starts rolling out KoenigsTigers (WTF) you should have 3x 57s and 2-3 jacksons. Use the p47 to make sure it won't make it back home.
2 Oct 2015, 23:39 PM

Since you clearly stated it's you who is having issues playing as USF then starting the thread on the strat section would have been better.

By the time your opponent starts rolling out KoenigsTigers (WTF) you should have 3x 57s and 2-3 jacksons. Use the p47 to make sure it won't make it back home.
3 57s AND 3 Jacksons? You would probably get run over by a single volk squad before the KT ever came out.

USF isn't like USSR that can accumulate 3 AT guns to support a heavy that can handle the infantry and tanks. Reinforcing the rifles usually means I can't get any more then two out, with multiple jacksons.

P47s good but what about the other 5 commanders?
2 Oct 2015, 23:42 PM

No.

You can, they are cheap. .50 and the pack are there to help against volkies. You don't 'need' the p47, just as the icing on the cake.
2 Oct 2015, 23:44 PM

Can you elaborate more?
In the 2v2, are both of you USF or is one of you a different faction?
2 Oct 2015, 23:50 PM

Can you elaborate more?
In the 2v2, are both of you USF or is one of you a different faction?
Regardless of your teammate. Say you see a king tiger get called in. What do you as a USF player start building? How do you maneuver? How do you exploit a king tigers weaknesses in general?

It's not like teammates can always be relied on on randoms.
3 Oct 2015, 00:12 AM

Regardless of your teammate. Say you see a king tiger get called in. What do you as a USF player start building? How do you maneuver? How do you exploit a king tigers weaknesses in general?

In the same way you do it in 1v1, p47 for support, swarm with M10s, use jacksons on the front at max range + path block the kt with EZ8s or normal shermans, use arty on it/it's retreat path if you damage the engine, ambush it with zooks etc, each commander has it's perks to deal with it, some more than others.

The most common tactic is still to pathblock it with a medium that can take 2-3 AT guns shots while you have your AT guns/tank destroyers on the front at max range finishing it off without risking anything.

Or if you can trade vehicles effectively (mostly in the m10 case) you can YOLO rush it to finish it off and be sure that it dies with jacksons on the flanks/behind, but It's generally something you shouldn't do as they easily die against schrecks/at guns.
3 Oct 2015, 00:22 AM

Let's see, my AT is my brother who plays Soviets a lot so that would make things a bit easier. (voice, teamwork etc etc etc)

But, I always get my M20 car just for the mines. 2xM36 + 1 mine will usually knock it out if I have all my infantry in front stopping the Volksgrenadier from getting close. By the time the KT is almost dead, the Volksgrenadier should have taken enough hits to require a retreat. You can then charge to chase any raketen / PIV/70 / Puma / supporting Jagdtiger / StuG / Elefant away to allow your M36 to chase it for the killing blow. The key is having fast micro for your troops. Avoiding grenades is key to keeping your riflemen alive to push into enemy territory.

Or you could do it like me and my mate when he was playing USF as well. 2x Priest close range barrage, T-O-T barrage, I&R pathfinders artillery barrage on a single KT. :snfPeter:
3 Oct 2015, 01:01 AM

You might have more success using Shermans, believe it or not. The smoke ability does wonders when chasing and flanking. Shoot smoke near the back of the King Tiger in retreat to cover your approach and start hitting it from the side. If AT guns ae in the area, use smoke on them instead.

Mind you, I only advise this in the scenario you describe. Full health KTs working in pairs would be disastrous.
3 Oct 2015, 01:03 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Just push it off,you dont have to kill it. Just push it off and grind away at his support when it's pushed off.

Every second it spends repairing is a mini victory for you

Or just win early,thats seems pretyy easy to do right now
3 Oct 2015, 02:40 AM

Just use arty on repair station/p47.

Don't be afraid to build .50s late game to cover Jackson. (If no ISG.)
3 Oct 2015, 10:48 AM

Dont USF have non-doctrinal mines now? I havent really paid attention to that in the few games I played USF since that patch. Anyway, KT is pretty much dead meat if it hits a mine. Its slow and cumbersome as it is, easily getting outrun by 2 tanks and without proper support youd be able to circle strafe it with a single t34. Now imagine what happens if it has engine damage on top of that. At that point, you could drop any sort of offmap on it(though p47 still works best I suppose) and just slowly chip away at its health with your jacksons and AT guns or whatever you might have at that time.

Other than that, I guess its pretty much what CookiezNcreem said. Everytime he has to repair and cant deal with you on the frontline, you can go and bleed him a bit more.

Alternatively, just focus on slowing him down. As mentioned and as everyone already knows, KTs are slow as fuck. Just use hit and run tactics. He wont have a KT covering every VP, every fuel point, every single one of his cutoffs etc. Piss him off by capping where his tank cant get to you in time. Eventually, he will make a mistake and present himself open to a counterattack.
3 Oct 2015, 10:56 AM

Make it overextend, its too slow to make it back then. Do some damage, break its engine with rifles, and then just chip away with Jacksons (wont take long if u have 2-3 of them).
3 Oct 2015, 11:07 AM

Misspost? silly site didnt update.
3 Oct 2015, 11:34 AM

Permanently Banned
I found spamming m20 mines in combination with munitions caches that allow you to instantly pop p47s as soon as the King Tiger pops up works well with double jacksons and one at gun.

And that is in 1v1.
3 Oct 2015, 11:53 AM

Just push it off,you dont have to kill it. Just push it off and grind away at his support when it's pushed off.

Indeed.
The repairtime is so high in this thing that you can actually push it off for a while.
I mostly go P47 to finish it off - damage it further - deny their push together with defensive jacksons.
3 Oct 2015, 12:02 PM

3 Oct 2015, 12:38 PM

Im more afraid of Tiger Ace rather than Tiger II :P

Best way is to keep it at distance with Jacksons.
If your enemy won't overrun his Tiger II, git a mine, pathfinidng issue etc. there is really low chance you will knock it down.
3 Oct 2015, 13:18 PM

This.

The worst thing that you can do is to sacrifice a couple of tanks trying to finish off a heavy. I've done that and it usually costs me the game. If the game has gone long, your reward for killing the KT may be that your opponent brings another one out immediately after you kill the first one, then you have to face it with your units that were beat up by the last KT.

(I often have this problem, except substitute Crocodile for KT)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★