Login

russian armor

Matchmaking bullshit vs Jove

2 Oct 2015, 15:22 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Embrace it. You should want to be tested and challenged.

Pillow fighting with people your level is no fun after a while, and Neither is seal clubbing people below you.

But getting into a slug fest with a top 50 and possibly pulling an upset against someone superior... I mean that's what it's all about!!!

Another fun thing to do:see how long you last, then go to the relic leaderboard/players recent games and see how you compare to their other opponents. That gives you a sense of accomplishment too :foreveralone:

++ it makes you better. and when you finally "get good" and surpass them it's an amazing feeling to know that "times have changed" when you're the one beating THEM in under 20 minutes instead of the other way around.
2 Oct 2015, 15:33 PM
Patrion 26

++ it makes you better. and when you finally "get good" and surpass them it's an amazing feeling to know that "times have changed" when you're the one beating THEM in under 20 minutes instead of the other way around.

Dreams, hopes and dreams that are crushed by reality :foreveralone:
2 Oct 2015, 15:38 PM
Patrion 26

If you want more evidence just look at the winning rates at the top of the ladder, those 75-95% win rate numbers are absurd (not to mention the win streaks.)

You do realize that some of those people got there because of pure abuse ? :bananadance:
2 Oct 2015, 15:39 PM

Permanently Banned

Pillow fighting with people your level is no fun after a while, and Neither is seal clubbing people below you.

But getting into a slug fest with a top 50 and possibly pulling an upset against someone superior... I mean that's what it's all about!!!

Another fun thing to do:see how long you last, then go to the relic leaderboard/players recent games and see how you compare to their other opponents. That gives you a sense of accomplishment too :foreveralone:

Lol, get out of here. Getting beaten by players above your skill level and having games that don't last longer than 10 minutes will not help you in any way, shape or form. They will teach you one thing, to hold out long enough to get to the 10 minute mark, but as soon as you reach the 11 minute mark and the Centaur rolls out, you are in a whole other world of hurt and suffering.

If you are rank 700 something, you are rank 700 something for a reason, just as A jove or a DevM is rank 3 or 1 for a reason. There is no reason to feel happy to play them with such a skill gap, because you know you will lose within 10 minutes 99,9% of the time :)

2 Oct 2015, 15:43 PM
Donator 11

You do realize that some of those people got there because of pure abuse ? :bananadance:

There is not a single player in any top 10 1v1 ladder than has not proven himself through a variety of metas. If anything I'd say they are less likely than the general player base to abuse whatever is OP at the time.
2 Oct 2015, 15:49 PM
Donator 11

What do you mean by abuse? You cannot blame anybody for playing to win and with what game itself gives him. Ofc you can have your own special honor code that for example you dont use specific units, factions or commanders and accept that it makes your play and thus your rank worse, but then you have to make sure you don't force other players to do the same, that is their right to choose just like you have chosen.
2 Oct 2015, 16:09 PM
Patrion 26

What do you mean by abuse? You cannot blame anybody for playing to win and with what game itself gives him. Ofc you can have your own special honor code that for example you dont use specific units, factions or commanders and accept that it makes your play and thus your rank worse, but then you have to make sure you don't force other players to do the same, that is their right to choose just like you have chosen.

I agree with you, and its mostly my honor code speaking but abusing broken units/commanders/mechanincs goes against my view of fair play. I tried them ones or twice though as well and decided never to use them again.

Also isn`t that what abuse means? Using something to your own benefit that is clearly not supposed to be there?
2 Oct 2015, 16:15 PM
Patrion 26

There is not a single player in any top 10 1v1 ladder than has not proven himself through a variety of metas. If anything I'd say they are less likely than the general player base to abuse whatever is OP at the time.

Centaur used almost all the time by top players, decrew is used as well by top players ( not all of them)

KV-8 is clearly broken (but not to the extend of Croc)at the moment is used by almost everyone of the top players

ISG every OKW player is building it regardless of rank. And everybody knows the unit is broken

Rifle Company same thing didn`t see a single USF player not using it by default in every game ( Although that is mostly because all the other USF commanders are kinda useless)

Then again it`s my opinion that using all of these is abusing a Broken/OP unit, you may not think the same and its okay, everyone has his opinion
2 Oct 2015, 17:47 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Lol, get out of here. Getting beaten by players above your skill level and having games that don't last longer than 10 minutes will not help you in any way, shape or form. They will teach you one thing, to hold out long enough to get to the 10 minute mark, but as soon as you reach the 11 minute mark and the Centaur rolls out, you are in a whole other world of hurt and suffering.

If you are rank 700 something, you are rank 700 something for a reason, just as A jove or a DevM is rank 3 or 1 for a reason. There is no reason to feel happy to play them with such a skill gap, because you know you will lose within 10 minutes 99,9% of the time :)

I think it's an attitude issue.

If you're a true competitor, you see that match against Jove as an opportunity to test yourself.

Yes, the first time you see someone like jove,you'll probably lose in 10 minutes.Try to lose in 15 the next time, then 25, then take him to a 40 minute slugfest until finally you start beating him.

That's how it works. That's how getting better works.

It's like any other competitive sport or activity. You climb the ladder. Till you're the best. You get fucked by the best, until you become one of them.

You really shouldn't stay below rank 500 if you have the proper attitude and desire to improve....And honestly even that isn't hard just practice decent habits till its second nature..

. If you have no desire to do that, then There's something wrong with your competitive side. I suggest not playing 1v1, which is a competitive mode.

And seriously, losing to Jove won't make you instantly contract cancer and make your computer explode... At worse you'll lose a few ladder points.. Seriously just have fun with it.
2 Oct 2015, 17:52 PM

Permanently Banned

I think it's an attitude issue.

If you're a true competitor, you see that match against Jove as an opportunity to test yourself.

Yes, the first time you see someone like jove,you'll probably lose in 10 minutes.Try to lose in 15 the next time, then 25, then take him to a 40 minute slugfest until finally you start beating him.

This isn't realistic, the Centaur hits at 10-12 minute mark, you won't make it to the 15 minute mark with someone like Jove at the wheels of that thing.

I am a true competitor myself, but I am a realistic person by nature. A few games vs a Top 3 player will not suddenly make me able to hold out any longer when he has complete and total control over the situation and the game.

2 Oct 2015, 18:09 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

This isn't realistic, the Centaur hits at 10-12 minute mark, you won't make it to the 15 minute mark with someone like Jove at the wheels of that thing.

I am a true competitor myself, but I am a realistic person by nature. A few games vs a Top 3 player will not suddenly make me able to hold out any longer when he has complete and total control over the situation and the game.

I said that In a way that you could misinterpret, forgive me.
im not telling you how to counter the centaur; it's one of the few clearly broken things in this game. Obviously if someone is already better, and they come out with a broken unit, of course you will lose.

I'm just talking in general. I don't believe all top players abuse broken stuff. I'm not gonna make a list of the abusers and the genuine good players, but hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

2 Oct 2015, 18:16 PM

Permanently Banned

I said that In a way that you could misinterpret, forgive me.
im not telling you how to counter the centaur; it's one of the few clearly broken things in this game. Obviously if someone is already better, and they come out with a broken unit, of course you will lose.

I'm just talking in general. I don't believe all top players abuse broken stuff. I'm not gonna make a list of the abusers and the genuine good players, but hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

I can see what you are aiming for, but it is still very unlikely that after getting defeated by people that are about 500+ ranks above you, you feel any need to play the game, you will most likely quit.

If I have learned anything from VonIvan and the lot I played, it is build orders and how to make the most effective ones in the army they played. I didn't learn anything on how to counter their builds, since they mastered them too well :(

2 Oct 2015, 18:41 PM
Patrion 26

I can see what you are aiming for, but it is still very unlikely that after getting defeated by people that are about 500+ ranks above you, you feel any need to play the game, you will most likely quit.

If I have learned anything from VonIvan and the lot I played, it is build orders and how to make the most effective ones in the army they played. I didn't learn anything on how to counter their builds, since they mastered them too well :(

Study the map, map is really important to counter the builds too. Also what is so hard to know how to counter what? Upload a replay if you have troubles against something and ask people to provide feedback and then just try out their advices next time you get the same build against you. You also have to know that every player has his own unique way of thinking. Even if most of the people play the same build it doesn`t always play out the same in the end. People are bound to make mistakes no matter they rank look for them and exploit them.
2 Oct 2015, 20:36 PM

Permanently Banned

Study the map, map is really important to counter the builds too. Also what is so hard to know how to counter what? Upload a replay if you have troubles against something and ask people to provide feedback and then just try out their advices next time you get the same build against you. You also have to know that every player has his own unique way of thinking. Even if most of the people play the same build it doesn`t always play out the same in the end. People are bound to make mistakes no matter they rank look for them and exploit them.

Thank you for your points, I will mind them the next time I come across something that is defeating me!

Appreciated. :wub:

What is hard to counter? Perhaps the players that you have to play that ace in the top 10 and destroy you because they are like 700 ranks above you?

2 Oct 2015, 20:56 PM

To be defeated in less than 10 min can only happen if you screwed your early game or being cheese or faced a strat you never see before.

I have face situation were I faced 4 times in a raw the same player, better than me, he owned me 3 times, but I won the 4th, and I was happy of that because I learn a lot playing vs him and finally beat him!
2 Oct 2015, 22:28 PM

im struggling right now with myself. you got a point but im a competitive gamer for 9 years (started with 14) i went through cs 1.6,source,GO,LoL,battlefield 2+, coh1, cod4+blackops,top tier WoW raiding, dota 2. all of my favourite games in my whole gaming history are competitive games, and i played all of them exactly this way. took part in many esl leagues and exclusivly played ranked (lol or coh1/2 or counterstrike etc) and most of the time in the higher seeds of player populations(except dota, fuck dota).seems like im playing to much btw <444>_<444>

the point is, the learning effect is not that big. go play 1v1 in counterstrike or LoL versus top player, u simply wont learn alot because at high levels the details, the small things are game deciding. and for a low elo player the big things, the "macro" things are way more important and u dont learn that by playing vs pros.

want an example? ok you got stomped in langres by a ostheer. u analyze the replay and see that u had no proper counter for his fast 222 which destroyed you. u see that if ost rushes his 222 he hits the field at around 5min (i dont even know the exact time lol). next time he plays vs a similiar bad player on langres, he has the same BO as the pro before. he gets the anti tank gun out to counter the 222 but what this? he didnt even build 222 because he is as bad as u and u just wasted 320mp while the ost spams happyly grens.

im a little bit drunken so im not even sure that makes sense what i wrote, sorry if i failed:lol:

2 Oct 2015, 23:10 PM
Patrion 26

Thank you for your points, I will mind them the next time I come across something that is defeating me!

Appreciated. :wub:

What is hard to counter? Perhaps the players that you have to play that ace in the top 10 and destroy you because they are like 700 ranks above you?

As I mentioned earlier they beat you because they know the map and where you would usually put an important unit everything else is mostly muscle memory. more games make you think less and act more
3 Oct 2015, 00:17 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

:foreveralone: that last part didnt make a whole lot of sense but I see where yore coming from :thumb:

Ill use myself as an example. So around WFA release,I fell in love with USF, laddering them in 1's. I went from 1,500, to 1000,into the top 500....until.......The first time I played against top 10 competition...which was vs VonIvan OKW.

No I didnt learn unit timings or anything like that, I didnt know how to micro any better...but I learned pretty quickly(FROM ONE game) that:
  • Denying or taking an important Building in enemy lines is important
  • Throwing nades at multiple engagements instead of one is an easy way to win a game

those 2 things alone is enough to have the edge for an entire game over other people around or below your level..But you will never learn things like that from some rank700 vs rank 700 club match. You have to get your ass kicked to start kicking ass. Im just a firm believer in that.

Yeah,I lost in 5 minutes back then.. Yes I probably wouldve had more fun,or "learned more"(what are you gonna learn from someone who is also screwing up?) in a 30 minute game vs someone below/equal to me. But I learned those 2 VERY IMPORTANT things just from one game vs top competiton while being an average player at best at the time. 2 things that I took away from that game that are still very important to me to this day. And every game thereonafter vs top players,I learned more,and more,and more.....I improved from losing in 5 minutes and looking like I didnt deserve to be on the same map,to losing in 30 and giving a fight every time, and/or winning or coming very close to doing so.

So ,I totally disagree that there is no learning effect. There is so much to learn..Like I could list the things I learned from each player that stomped me over the past 2 years.
3 Oct 2015, 06:06 AM

Permanently Banned

As I mentioned earlier they beat you because they know the map and where you would usually put an important unit everything else is mostly muscle memory. more games make you think less and act more

So they only beat me because they know the map better, not because they are you know, 500+ ranks higher than I am?

Sounds legit :facepalm::lolol:
3 Oct 2015, 06:08 AM

Permanently Banned

:foreveralone: that last part didnt make a whole lot of sense but I see where yore coming from :thumb:

Ill use myself as an example. So around WFA release,I fell in love with USF, laddering them in 1's. I went from 1,500, to 1000,into the top 500....until.......The first time I played against top 10 competition...which was vs VonIvan OKW.

No I didnt learn unit timings or anything like that, I didnt know how to micro any better...but I learned pretty quickly(FROM ONE game) that:
  • Denying or taking an important Building in enemy lines is important
  • Throwing nades at multiple engagements instead of one is an easy way to win a game

those 2 things alone is enough to have the edge for an entire game over other people around or below your level..But you will never learn things like that from some rank700 vs rank 700 club match. You have to get your ass kicked to start kicking ass. Im just a firm believer in that.

Yeah,I lost in 5 minutes back then.. Yes I probably wouldve had more fun,or "learned more"(what are you gonna learn from someone who is also screwing up?) in a 30 minute game vs someone below/equal to me. But I learned those 2 VERY IMPORTANT things just from one game vs top competiton while being an average player at best at the time. 2 things that I took away from that game that are still very important to me to this day. And every game thereonafter vs top players,I learned more,and more,and more.....I improved from losing in 5 minutes and looking like I didnt deserve to be on the same map,to losing in 30 and giving a fight every time, and/or winning or coming very close to doing so.

So ,I totally disagree that there is no learning effect. There is so much to learn..Like I could list the things I learned from each player that stomped me over the past 2 years.

Alright, now I agree with you :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS