Login

russian armor

Are the stock UKF commanders trash?

26 Sep 2015, 16:30 PM

It feels like the UKF commanders which come for free perform much worse than the paid ones. Especially Vanguard and Special Weapons Regiment are greatly superior to the stock commanders since they come with Croco, useful offmap and elite infantry. Let's have a subjective look:

Vanguard replaces Commando Doc since it can build additional commandos without having to pay another 500m(540)mp. The Typhoon offmap is atleast useful while the Air supremacy is fancy but too expensive and every enemy will have left the area before the first bombs drop(unless he never looks onto the minimap, I´ve honestly never lost anything valueable to this ability except numerous OKW buildings).It's not bad at all, but it's not very good either. All the other Commando abilities are just too much ammo for not enough effect (especially if you try to save up for air supremacy)

Artillery regiment: 100mun ability that doesn't hit anything (and has a terrible AoE) and fires 6shells max. Valentine is bad and comes too late. Sexton is crap. Flares are actually the best thing in that doc. Overwatch protects your own territories -> the enemy will simply withdraw thus you won't kill anything but delay attacks (for 225 mun!!).

Royal Engineers: Command vehicle and AVRE are the only useful things - yet I'd rather choose a croco instead of an AVRE. "Stand fast" was op once. Now, since emplacements have become useless it's just... meh or very situational.

Special Weapons:
Have a mobile reinforce point with access to weapons (I rarely build that reinforcement point because it's fragile). Concentrated Artillery makes it cheaper to destroy OKW trucks (cheaper than air supremacy!). Mix tank hunters into your infantry and you can actually cripple tanks and ... yeah ... a Croco as topping.
26 Sep 2015, 16:40 PM

They aren't in fact I think they're pretty good
26 Sep 2015, 16:40 PM

Only Royal artillery, because of the 25 pounder Artillery.
26 Sep 2015, 16:41 PM

I don't know about you, but Commando Regiment is really good. Engineer Regiment is decent, but Artillery Regiment could use some work.
26 Sep 2015, 17:31 PM

Maybe I´ve not expressed myself as I wanted. I wanted to point out that there are much better ALTERNATIVES (Vanguard being a better alternative for Commandos) in COMPARISON with the stock commanders.
26 Sep 2015, 17:43 PM

Anvil + Artillery is as close you get to a counter to leig as possible
26 Sep 2015, 17:45 PM

Vanguard doesn't replace Commando doc. If you JUST want commandos, you have to pay more overall manpower. The glider gives you the Officer. I am fuzzy on the math, but I believe you have to pay about 700MP total for the glider, officer, and commandos, whereas it's 500 flat for Commando only. You also have to wait for the commandos to build in that doc whereas the commando doc gives them to you right away, which is often what you want. Also, the bombing run is exclusive to the commando doc, and it's a great ability for blowing away entrenched positions. Vanguard doesn't have it.

The arty doc, contrary to what most people believe, is quite good. The trick is to only use the artillery after you get the Platoon Command Post (for second howie gun) and upgrade to Anvil tactics so you get the airburst.

Now you have a spammable (100 muni) arty that ignores FOW. It's not super accurate, but it is very good area denial and the lucky hits smash infantry and weapons teams. Say what you want, but it's an almost mandatory doctrine in 2v2 attrition battles where enemy sets up with ISG spam and hides behind armor.

The Sexton is a little misunderstood. Is it good? No, not really. Is it as terrible as people think? No. If you fire from max range, the shells go everywhere. The key is to move it as close to the bombardment area as possible. Then its accuracy improves significantly.

The Valentine is good. It's not a battle tank, it's an armored map hack. If you think a cheap, armored map hack is bad, I'm not sure what to tell you.
26 Sep 2015, 19:08 PM

All the infantry centric abilities in commando regiment are good. Vet 3, double Bren Hammer Tommies combined with the Assault and Smoke Raid abilities are great for lategame pushes.
26 Sep 2015, 19:21 PM
Donator 11

You are getting "Better Alternatives" mixed up with how good the Croc is for its cost.
26 Sep 2015, 21:52 PM

The arty doc, contrary to what most people believe, is quite good. The trick is to only use the artillery after you get the Platoon Command Post (for second howie gun) and upgrade to Anvil tactics so you get the airburst.

Now you have a spammable (100 muni) arty that ignores FOW. It's not super accurate, but it is very good area denial and the lucky hits smash infantry and weapons teams. Say what you want, but it's an almost mandatory doctrine in 2v2 attrition battles where enemy sets up with ISG spam and hides behind armor.

The Sexton is a little misunderstood. Is it good? No, not really. Is it as terrible as people think? No. If you fire from max range, the shells go everywhere. The key is to move it as close to the bombardment area as possible. Then its accuracy improves significantly.

the 100 mu arty is still pretty weak. the lefh and the ml20's normal barrage are significantly more devastating.

the sexton already have the lowest range (135)of all the doctrinal howitzer. It barely got a better range the the rocket artillery (135 vs 120). just how close do the sexton need to be?
26 Sep 2015, 22:23 PM

Commando overshadows vanguard by a huge margin when you play against more than 2 OKW. First, you would never be able to land logistic glider against 3+ flak hqs, and, thus, never be able to have commanders. Second, air supremacy ruins okw trucks.

Special weapons only good for giving su player vickers. Artillery is just railroad, which arrives faster, and croc is croc, but other abilities is total crap.

Other one commander have best late game with salvage (its actually su salvage, which gives manpower) and command vehicle, his disabling arty is godlike too.

Artillery is easily worst commander, and royal engineers with current emplacement state is just meh.
26 Sep 2015, 23:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Sep 2015, 22:23 PMJadame!
Commando overshadows vanguard by a huge margin when you play against more than 2 OKW. First, you would never be able to land logistic glider against 3+ flak hqs, and, thus, never be able to have commanders. Second, air supremacy ruins okw trucks.

Having like 2 commandos and 1 officer on the field for about 1200mp is deadly for any enemy. To have more than 1 aggressive Infantry unit makes things much easier for the brits. The Croco has great AI which forms a great synergy with Fireflys.

Special weapons only good for giving su player vickers. Artillery is just railroad, which arrives faster, and croc is croc, but other abilities is total crap.

The Railroad kills OKW trucks. The tank hunters have a very good (high range) passive vehicle detection (quite long range) and the only snare for brits. The halftrack is slightly more expensive but offers a mobile reinforce and rearm point. Hold the line is indeed crap.

Other one commander have best late game with salvage (its actually su salvage, which gives manpower) and command vehicle, his disabling arty is godlike too.

Salvage is nice but there are often very few wrecks available. Even wrecks don't last long on the frontline. It's situational, sometimes it's totally worth it... sometimes absolutely not.
26 Sep 2015, 23:54 PM

Engineer regiment is my favorite out of all 6 commanders by far. Useful abilities for all stages of the game. Other commanders have too many munitions-heavy abilities so you'll never utilize all 5 skills, so you end up saving muni for the last skill (like air supremacy). Engineer regiment has tons of cheap, useful skills that I find myself using all the time.

Emplacement repair, not as good as it used to be, but combined with brace, it really gives you a lot of tools to help survive an attack and live another day.

Command vehicle is seriously underrated, make an early UC, harass through early game, and mid game or later stick the command vehicle buff on it. The advantages it givse to all your infantry and support weapons are really good, it makes even med tanks shy away from a single 6 lber because of how fast it fires. Not to mention when tanks roll out.

Smoke repair is great too, it's suicide to use it while you're attacking, but if you retreat from an attack with lots of damaged vehicles and not enough engineers to keep up repairs, then it's really useful for getting your tanks back up and running before your opponents finish their repairs.

AVRE is great.
27 Sep 2015, 00:02 AM
Donator 11

It's not that starting commander are trash, more like in most, but definitely not all, situations vanguard is better option than the other five. And you know what? All of these commanders are in some way like early ostheer commanders: the core is so good that you can play completely without them.
27 Sep 2015, 00:08 AM

Commandos and Engineers are fine. The commando doc has a lot of situational commander abilities that are potent when used well, and royal engineers work fine if you take advantage of the command tank and emplacement repair on campy maps.

Royal arty needs tweaking. It's a great concept that falls short of the desired effectiveness. I think adding more shells to the 4 CP arty flare and the sexton would solve most of the problems.

People fall back to vanguard because it's really easy to use. You can't beat the convenience of the glider HQ or the no-thought-required plane strafe. I think it's just the path of least resistance for someone who wants abilities effective on most maps in most situations. The other doctrines require a bit more planning and thought to get the full effect they offer.
27 Sep 2015, 00:26 AM

I tried the commander with the forward support HQ and... it's just so bad. 300mp and 40 fuel to upgrade a HQ that allows you to call in 150 muni typhoon strafe in a small cone around the HQ.

honestly I would say vanguard is the stronkist, followed by commando and the AVRE commander. Royal artillery is just flat out terrible
nee
27 Sep 2015, 04:42 AM

They're obviously bait for the DLC ones.

But IMO, no they're not trash, just clearly there to promote buying the other ones.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★