Login

russian armor

Need Help Playing As the OKW in General

9 Sep 2015, 06:57 AM

Long story short, I'm a new player and I suck.
I've been trying to follow the guide: http://www.coh2.org/guides/21246/okw-special-operations-double-agent
And I'm getting success following exactly what the guide taught me to do fighting against USF and SUs.

Usually I follow strictly the guide's build order.
(3 Volks, Mechanized, AT Gun, 4th Volk, Stuka/Puma, Stuka/Puma, PSchreks, Hospital and ISG and finally Obersoldaten, and your usual tanks.)

Usually I rush and stomp the opposition in the early game (Sturms OPOP), cap with Volks and slowly suffer for the mid transition, and then bring out the big guns to seal the deal.

But as the UKFs was released, I find myself losing the eary game pretty consistently.
Green covered ISs and the flame-spitting car is just too much.
Vickers have a much larger arc than Maxims, and the 40mm just wrecks my Volks hard.

Sometimes I'm lucky enough to survive and still remain formidable in the mid. (Through mining, flanking, godlike Stukas etc.)
But when the British tanks hit the field, my Puma just can't fight them unlike T34s and Shermans.
Also Stuka barrages just does jack-all against them mortal pits, 40mms and AT Camps.
Let alone whatever units they've got wrecks even Obersoldatens.
When the JP4, P4 and Panther hits the field. It's usually too late.

So, what should I do against the Brits, and how do I plan my mid-game against USF and SUs?

9 Sep 2015, 07:10 AM

Hey there Wirry..

first of all..im just like u..as me..i like to take my time Watching Streamer play..
n here is what i know..(2v2 Prespective) u start with Either Kubel or Volk up to u
then go for another Volk(if u open with Kubel 1st if not Kubel after 2 Volk)
then u go reken.. Kubel is ur bait for UC..

start with Medic HQ..n Build like 2 ISG incase there's like MG or Emplacement..
after that Go for ur final Tech base( dont remember what the name was)
n build a Panther or Jp4 (depend on the map)

usually by the time they Field Centaur..already counter with 2 Volk shrek 1 reken n at least 1 panther..

n ur mane power will flood like hell.. use that to ur advantage

PS: this will sometime work n will not..u need to get a counter on everything they do..build Order is
up to u..im just giving mine

^_^ see ya in the Battlefield

Also tnx to ciez cause i watch him the other day(24 hour Stream) for this Strat..n it work well like 8/10

another thing is,,prevent them from getting late game..once they have Croc etc.
its GG :faint:
9 Sep 2015, 09:40 AM
Donator 11

Hey wirry,

What really works against the UKF is playing agressive early on. You said that you play agressive with your pios which is good, so you might want to add in an mg into your build. What I would do is making 4 volks, healing truck and then either a mg or a ISG. This really depends on how the fight is going. If your opponent is making emplacements, you probebly want to get an ISG or maybe even 2 of them. If he isnt, and you want to keep the presure, make a mg and use it agressively.

If you feel like you have the advantage in the game, rush a luchs. If you dont make a kubel, your opponent will probebly not go for the AEC, but for the bofors. This will give your luchs the opportunity to roam around the map freely and counter a possible sniper. Otherwise you want to wait to get a panther out.

Try to use mines and shrecks to counter the wasp. If it really keeps hurting you and you think you won't be able to get a luchs out in time to counter it, make a atgun. Otherwise I would make an at gun very late vs UKF. Vehicles that really are a thread to your infantry are the vehicles from the UKF's last tech structure, which won't come out untill 10 minutes or more into the game.

The main point i want to make here is to not hold on to a single build order, but #ADAPT ;)

I hope this will help!
9 Sep 2015, 19:08 PM
Donator 11

Small addition to E-zy's great tips & tricks:

Keep in mind that your mentioned guide is a little bit outdated, and doesn't reflect the current situation with several units.

ISG can be a really great tool to keep a Brit rather contained, and force him to brace a lot (use attack ground) - if you can afford it, try two of them, especially once the change to brace hits the live version of COH2. SPios are more decent combat units nowadays, and getting a second squad later on, depending on map, is certainly a not too bad idea - their dps can be quite nuts if you flank properly, or shield them with Volks.
Stuka is next to useless vs. emplacements atm, so i wouldn't bother with that.

Try a T1 > T3, which will certainly ease your early and mid game. T1 pretty much has everything you need / want (ISG, healing, JP4 in case you're a little bit behind), and T3 to follow up on.
9 Sep 2015, 19:56 PM

This Building Tree works fine for me so far: 2 Volks, T1, leIG (maybe 2 of them if you have to face some blob-players). Also considering to get some second SPios, untill you choose a doctrine or get T3, they are basicly the strongest close combat Infantry you can get. Mid Game can be managed with mines and Volks with Schrecks or Werfers. Mostly i skip T2 - going to T3 fast in order to get Obersoldaten and then counting on Panther/PIV.

Many Brits tend to group up and missmicro or just try to overrun you, so make sure you got that leIG.
10 Sep 2015, 06:04 AM

But OKW doesn't have any MGs.
So do I have to opt for the Luftwaffe for the MGs?

Plus, which doctrines are the most viable in the current patch?
TY.
10 Sep 2015, 07:24 AM

If you really want to learn, stop asking so much questions to other people, start asking yourself those questions.

Just play, try to adapt, learn what handles what, how to react to different situations.

If you lose a game and your stumped. Go watch your reply and ask yourself, what could I have done to prepare for this / how could I spot this type of play / what is he trying to do (look for tell tales - you will learn in time) how can I react / what would its weakness be?

Try to have a game plan of your own, while retaining the ability to defend yourself against whatever while your preparing.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, each with its own ups and downs, but you will never know of them if you pick someone else's answer to your problem. His answer suits his / theyr playstyle.

In short, watch YOUR replays, that you LOSE. While asking yourself benificial questions.

More than one way to learn I guess, but thats mine.
10 Sep 2015, 07:33 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Sep 2015, 09:40 AME-zy
Hey wirry,

What really works against the UKF is playing agressive early on. You said that you play agressive with your pios which is good, so you might want to add in an mg into your build. What I would do is making 4 volks, healing truck and then either a mg or a ISG. This really depends on how the fight is going. If your opponent is making emplacements, you probebly want to get an ISG or maybe even 2 of them. If he isnt, and you want to keep the presure, make a mg and use it agressively.

If you feel like you have the advantage in the game, rush a luchs. If you dont make a kubel, your opponent will probebly not go for the AEC, but for the bofors. This will give your luchs the opportunity to roam around the map freely and counter a possible sniper. Otherwise you want to wait to get a panther out.

Try to use mines and shrecks to counter the wasp. If it really keeps hurting you and you think you won't be able to get a luchs out in time to counter it, make a atgun. Otherwise I would make an at gun very late vs UKF. Vehicles that really are a thread to your infantry are the vehicles from the UKF's last tech structure, which won't come out untill 10 minutes or more into the game.

The main point i want to make here is to not hold on to a single build order, but #ADAPT ;)

I hope this will help!

But in the very early game it's hard for OKW to grab most of the map vs UKF since UKF have HMG and t1 light armor, and IS in cover outclassed volks. So what to do in such situation? Flanking? Saving manpower and grabbing the other side of the map? Or any other strategies?
10 Sep 2015, 07:48 AM

Vs. Brits, I recently screwed around with -

3x Sturmpioneers (yes really)
2x Volks
Mech Truck
Flak Halftrack
Med Truck
2x LeIG
Jagdpanzer IVs

Infantry Sections don't stand up very well to Sturmpioneers in the early game and the Flak Halftrack counters a Wasp. If the enemy sticks to cover, buys a Bofors, or gets a 6lbr, you can sit back with your LeIGs all day long.

Panzershrecks can deal with a AEC car, if the Brit does that.
10 Sep 2015, 12:19 PM

I wouldn't go mech and then stuka, because you lose fighting ability/field presence when you skip early medics. Only an early puma or AAHT can make up for it.

If I want to go early Puma, my BO is similar to yours except I dont make an AT gun so early.

Then I'd get medics with 2 ISGS. Medics are essential and you cant skip them without MP bleed/loss of map control (most likely your units will be so wounded that a retreat is needed within seconds, which wastes time).

You can supplement Obers with elite infantry. Then I'd either wait for a KT or JT (which is actually easier to get/cheaper and seems to be better against brits). Usually a KT wont do well by itself (TDs can easily kite it) so I'd get a JP4 before or after it.

10 Sep 2015, 20:36 PM
Donator 11

But in the very early game it's hard for OKW to grab most of the map vs UKF since UKF have HMG and t1 light armor, and IS in cover outclassed volks. So what to do in such situation? Flanking? Saving manpower and grabbing the other side of the map? Or any other strategies?

well since the UKF mostly only makes 3 units from t1 and the okw player makes 4-5 from t1 including sturms, you should be able to overrun the opponent with good flanking and micro. Capturing other parts of the map is good too.
11 Sep 2015, 01:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2015, 20:36 PME-zy

well since the UKF mostly only makes 3 units from t1 and the okw player makes 4-5 from t1 including sturms, you should be able to overrun the opponent with good flanking and micro. Capturing other parts of the map is good too.

Well, I think I realised what your mean now. Thank you very much. I'll practice more in the game.o_O
11 Sep 2015, 08:09 AM

I've looked at a few replays of mine.

And I stuck with now the JP4, P4 double ISG combo and is getting some success lately.

However, I find myself over-relying on my teammates MG to bail me out from rushes before I get my Panzer HQ.

Also I find myself getting flanked a lot.

(RP: http://www.coh2.org/replay/40114/me-struggling-as-an-okw)

Also where can I get replays with informative commentary from OKW players so I can learn better?
13 Sep 2015, 14:27 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Sep 2015, 08:09 AMWirry
I've looked at a few replays of mine.

And I stuck with now the JP4, P4 double ISG combo and is getting some success lately.

However, I find myself over-relying on my teammates MG to bail me out from rushes before I get my Panzer HQ.

Also I find myself getting flanked a lot.

(RP: http://www.coh2.org/replay/40114/me-struggling-as-an-okw)

Also where can I get replays with informative commentary from OKW players so I can learn better?

Thing is, you kinda have to adapt to the map, and your mates. Same build order won't work every time.

If you require supression platforms, try Luft / Fort for MG34 - optional bunkers / mines with the latter also help a lot, and Zero arty will be "useful" again once the brace nerf hits the field.
For 3v3+ i've got Fort always equipped, since WFA release. Same as Scavenge (< neat doc to bleed pricy infantry with JLI, JP4 > Ostwind works nicely vs. Brits as well).

Do you usually play random 3v3 as OKW? Do you have a playercard for me?
16 Sep 2015, 11:49 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Sep 2015, 14:27 PMkamk

Thing is, you kinda have to adapt to the map, and your mates. Same build order won't work every time.

If you require supression platforms, try Luft / Fort for MG34 - optional bunkers / mines with the latter also help a lot, and Zero arty will be "useful" again once the brace nerf hits the field.
For 3v3+ i've got Fort always equipped, since WFA release. Same as Scavenge (< neat doc to bleed pricy infantry with JLI, JP4 > Ostwind works nicely vs. Brits as well).

Do you usually play random 3v3 as OKW? Do you have a playercard for me?

I always queue with my buddies and do 2v2s and 3v3s.
And what is a playercard?
16 Sep 2015, 11:52 AM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

If you look under E-Zy's avatar and press the second icon, you will see his playercard, Wirry :)
16 Sep 2015, 13:54 PM
17 Sep 2015, 03:43 AM
Donator 11

Yeah, that's not too great.
What about the other questions, and input? Tried anything of it yet? Hit a wall somewhere?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★