Login

russian armor

Recommended War Films

6 Aug 2015, 10:47 AM

Please stay in topic.
6 Aug 2015, 11:10 AM
Donator 11

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074695/

Seen it ages ago, and it was surprisingly good (usually not my taste).

Some additions to the list:
The Thin Red Line
Flags of Our Fathers
"Idi i smotri" // Come and see (i highly recommend this one)

After WW2:
Apocalypse Now (Redux version)
Platoon
1968 Tunnel Rats (an Uwe Boll movie, yes, really)
6 Aug 2015, 11:16 AM
6 Aug 2015, 11:19 AM

How has no one mentioned "The Pianist" yet? Love that movie.

There's a movie I saw ages ago that was set in a SS academy. It was German but I can't remember the name of it. Anyone know?
6 Aug 2015, 12:06 PM

Schindler's List
Saving Private Ryan
Stalingrad 1993

Post ww2
We were soldiers
Platoon
6 Aug 2015, 14:12 PM

Terminator 3 is a war film omg :|
6 Aug 2015, 14:23 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Second off topic post invised for hazifeladat

6 Aug 2015, 14:50 PM

Star Wars is a war film too. Man, you didnt seen it? The only people in the universe who havent seen Star Wars are the characters in Star Wars, and thats because they lived them. They lived in Star Wars, Bloodnok.
:welcome:

Not sure how far past the shores of the USA the show Mythbusters has gone, but one of the creators, Jamie Hyneman, who is in his 40s so the right age to have grown up with the original movie, never saw it.

The Big Red One
Samuel Fuller who directed it and was a US veteran of WWII. I think it was he that said you can't make realistic war film without someone jumping out and spraying the crowd with machine gun fire. I believe he landed in Normandy. Lower budget yet has a scene that has been one of the best to portray Omaha Beach.

Full Metal Jacket has the best boot camp scenes (it helps that R. Lee Ermy, though he never actually made Gunnery Sgt., was a real life boot camp trainor in the Marines.)

We were soldiers once (from the book "We were soldiers once, and young"
Battle of the Ia Drang Valley. The book is better.
6 Aug 2015, 16:23 PM

Well speaking of boot camp scenes, and later conflicts:

6 Aug 2015, 17:56 PM
Donator 22

Two films I haven't seen mentioned yet:

"Patton" (1970) Won 8 Oscars including best picture.
"Force 10 from Navarone" (1978) Great cast including Robert Shaw, Harrison Ford, Richard Kiel

Edited to add:

"The Dirty Dozen" (1967) Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson in the ultimate tough guy film.
6 Aug 2015, 19:23 PM
Donator 11

If you enjoy the sound and popcorn war movies , can recommend Black Hawk Down.
Also most of the movies mentioned here. :)

But since war is ..., i found this masterpiece disturbingly good:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091251/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Same direction, but with vietnam in it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077416/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

6 Aug 2015, 19:40 PM
Patrion 310

Yep synThrax "Come and see" so the title of the Soviet film is a powerful statement about the war crimes comitted by Germany during Barbarossa in Belarussia. Somewhere there is a cemetery where every stone stands for a whole village burned to the ground (and the inhabitants burned alive, babies smashed on the walls or thrown in the local well).
6 Aug 2015, 20:18 PM

How has no one mentioned "The Pianist" yet? Love that movie.

There's a movie I saw ages ago that was set in a SS academy. It was German but I can't remember the name of it. Anyone know?

Europa, Europe (Hitlerjunge Salomon)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099776/

Fabrik der Offiziere

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053807/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096578/

i like the version of 1960 more

Yep synThrax "Come and see" so the title of the Soviet film is a powerful statement about the war crimes comitted by Germany during Barbarossa in Belarussia. Somewhere there is a cemetery where every stone stands for a whole village burned to the ground (and the inhabitants burned alive, babies smashed on the walls or thrown in the local well).

These crimes in belorussia were committed by the Dirlewanger SS troops, which were a bunch of criminals. Even the rest of the SS despised them. It was not a common behaviour amongst german troops.
I knew about come and see a while ago, but stumbled over the backstory of the villagers just recently. Wiki has no article in english about it, so you need to search for it yourself "Chatyn"
7 Aug 2015, 18:59 PM
12 Aug 2015, 12:57 PM

The Guns of Navarone
12 Aug 2015, 13:36 PM

The following German WWII movies are great:

- Der Untergang (best Hitler imitation ever)
- Stalingrad (1993)
- Unsere Väter, unsere Mütter
- Das Boot

The following Hollywood WWII movies are also great:

- A Bridge too far
- Letters from Iwo Jima
- Band of Brothers
- Duell - Enemy at the Gates
- Empire of the Sun

The following Korean WWII movie is great too:

- My Way (2011)inspired by the true story of a Korean named Yang Kyoungjong who was captured by the Americans on D-Day. Yang Kyoungjong was conscripted into the Japanese Imperial Army, the Red Army, and the Wehrmacht.
12 Aug 2015, 13:54 PM
Donator 11

Some of my fav's

We dive at dawn: (British sub "sea tiger" sinking the "brandenburg")
Above us the waves: (sinking of the "tirpitz" using midget subs "chariots")
In which we serve: (1942 British propaganda revolving around the crew of the "Torrin" destroyer)
Went the day well: (haunted by 1 scene involving a lady and a grenade, always remember that)
Ice cold in alex: (why women shouldn't be on the front line, why did she let go of the crank handle!)
The longest day: (3 hours of greatness, saving private ryan seems to have been a re imagining of this, except for the ryan bit)
Reach for the sky (story of Douglas Bader, a fighter pilot who lost his legs in crash and carried on flying, great story)
Cross of Iron (great film)
The one that got away (story about Franz von Werra the only german prisoner who escaped the British isles)
633 squadron (Iconic theme music, story about an operation involving an RAF mosquito squadron)
The dam busters: (you've probably already seen it, got to love the name of the black Labrador)
I was monty's double: (John mills, nuff said)
The Heroes of Telemark: (story about the Norwegian resistance trying to stop a german facility that is producing heavy water)
Tora Tora Tora: (attack attack attack, the attacks on pearl harbor)
eye of the needle: (Donald Sutherland as a german spy on the Isle of Mull trying to escape with intel on the D day landings)
Overlord: (film about the training of 1 soldier for the operation of the same name, D-day landings)
Max manus, Man of war: (relatively modern film about an Norwegian resistance hero)
Colditz: (not to be confused with "the colditz story", this 2 season series is fantastic, a must watch for all)

To be honest there is still too many to list
12 Aug 2015, 17:14 PM

Some of my fav's

[
Tora Tora Tora: (attack attack attack, the attacks on pearl harbor)
eye of the needle: (Donald Sutherland as a german spy on the Isle of Mull trying to escape with intel on the D day landings)

To be honest there is still too many to list

Holy shit Eye of the Needle, I forgot about that one! It is awesome! In my mind one of Donald Sutherlands best films. (also the movie I'll be watching this weekend. :) )

I quoted Tora Tora Tora! (a great film) because Im a know-it-all asshole who has to correct the smallest of errors. Tora means Tiger not Attack. Tora Tora Tora! Was the keyword that broke the radio silence leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbour and it signaled that the attack had been a successful surprise.

edit: What people should have a look at is Hermann Wouks Winds of War and War and Remembrance series. If you have 2 weekends to spare it is a good watch
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★