russian armor

Maxim setup time is too ridicious

• This thread is locked
10 Jun 2013, 14:40 PM

Along with Gren stupid speed, it is almost unflankable

WTF is that super setup speed?
10 Jun 2013, 15:12 PM
Senior Caster Badge

It's the benefit the Maxim gets in exchange for sucking in every other category except # of crew members.
10 Jun 2013, 15:18 PM

The maxim does not suck. I though so at first but it is almost impossible to kill by grenadiers and deals ok damage and suppresion.

In a building it is very hard to kill. Took 3 rifle nades killed only 2 crew.
A bundle granade kills 3 crewmembers at the most and that is 45 munitions.
A grenadier flanking it will deal almost no damage without rifle nades.

It is very usefull against a heavy infantry strategy

And it does well vs german Mg
10 Jun 2013, 15:24 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Pretty much anything the Soviets can build is useful against a heavy infantry strategy. Conscripts + PPSh + Hit the Dirt = own the Ostheer infantry. AT gun = anti-infantry arty barrage. Sniper = nail the small Ostheer squads. Clown car w/flame Engineers = burn the Ostheer infantry. Clown car w/Penal Squad + 2 throwers = double burn the Ostheer infantry. Shock Troops + PPSh = shred the Ostheer infantry. T-34 = crush the Ostheer infantry.

Ostheer can't go heavy infantry if it wants to win against a good player. The Maxim might be better than I'm giving it credit for but there are so many options for fighting Ostheer infantry spam. If the Maxim is only good for that then the Maxim isn't good.
10 Jun 2013, 16:02 PM

Permanently Banned
Possibly my imagination, but it seems to me Maxim beats MG in one in one.
10 Jun 2013, 16:09 PM

Maxim is actually very good lol, can swiftly reposition it self to catch the flanking squad. Also in buildings it's basically unflankable unless you have flamers or a flamer halftrack since grenades or small arms fire can't kill it. Imo it should have less range than mg42 and also building cover needs to be reworked so that squads in buildings cannot survive 10 mins of continous small arms fire from outside the building.
10 Jun 2013, 16:32 PM

The Maxim is VERY powerful. People say it sucks because, in most scenarios, you want an MG for area suppression, and the MG42 is king in that department.

If you use the Maxim similar to the .30 cal: that is, aggressively, to flank opponents, you can deal a lot of damage.

The big problem is the Eastern Front is being fought with BB guns. If the small arms fire gets improved, then crews will actually die. Its amazing how much resilience crews have: german and soviet alike.
10 Jun 2013, 17:53 PM

MG42 supports a defensive play, maxim supports aggressive play. they are both fine. imo ofc
10 Jun 2013, 19:38 PM

If you don't go for Hit the Dirt or shocktroops and you don't want to build snipers then the maxim is the hard counter to PGs. It's a bit of an inferior counter to the other options in terms of usability... but it comes out of the same tier as the mortar and the ZIS, and it's cheap and really hard to kill.
10 Jun 2013, 22:31 PM

I'm actually loving the maxim so far unlike its counterpart in coh1 the 30 cal. The smaller arc isn't much of a problem, it deals good damage, is hard to kill, helps the soviets have a foothold and can be used pretty aggressively.

I think most german players aren't used to facing mg's, and will have to rework a lot of older play-style mentalities when facing MG's. I like this quite a bit and I want to be able to use these things frequently in strats.
10 Jun 2013, 23:25 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2013, 17:53 PMCrells
MG42 supports a defensive play, maxim supports aggressive play. they are both fine. imo ofc

i agree you.

and,

Maxim can set up fast, but has small fire angle.

MG42 can't set up fast, but has wide fire angle.

both fine, and both has weakness.
11 Jun 2013, 08:25 AM

Permanently Banned
I unconditionally prefer a faster setup time to wider arc.

I have no practical reason to need to cover 3 avenues of approach with an MG when I can just as well micro a Maxim to do the same with its faster setup time as well as its far superior survival due to 6man, as opposed to the (incongruent and incorrect) 3 man MG which really REALLY should be 4 man.
12 Apr 2017, 03:59 AM

Oh man Nullist. Thems was the days.

Blast from the past with this necromancy.
12 Apr 2017, 10:16 AM
Admin Red  Badge

One comment removed due to the breaking of site rules. Thread will be closed as it died a long while ago.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★