Login

russian armor

Shot blockers

18 Jul 2015, 20:37 PM

Hello!
I am currently working on a map sited in the desert, featuring amongst other arid things, sand dunes. Sadly, the map builder doesn't contain much desert-themed architecture. I can work around this, so the only problem I came across with my map, was that HMG teams could suppress enemy troops through a sand dune. I had LOS-blockers on top of it, but this is neglected by having more troops on the other side, giving LOS for the HMG. infantry and vehicles can ofcourse also engage enemies the same way.

I experimented with various shotblockers submerged in the sand, but these also created impass for infantry and vehicles up to medium size.

What I need is something that blocks shots, but doesn't create impass. Any advice?

This is the map, if you want to spend your time helping me with this:
http://www.coh2.org/topic/36560/2-4-dunes/post/353631

In advance, thanks alot!
20 Jul 2015, 14:39 PM

Original COH world builder had Shot Blocker only objects, but they aren't in COH2 world builder. I found it very unfortunate because of the size of the shot blockers create a lot of impass.

One thing I never tried was making the blocker a VIS object only, that would kill the impass, but I'm not sure if it would keep the LOS and Shot Block.
21 Jul 2015, 15:03 PM

Original COH world builder had Shot Blocker only objects, but they aren't in COH2 world builder. I found it very unfortunate because of the size of the shot blockers create a lot of impass.

One thing I never tried was making the blocker a VIS object only, that would kill the impass, but I'm not sure if it would keep the LOS and Shot Block.

I will try this, and see if it works. I made a similar map for vCoH, so I was surprised when it didn't work like before.

Thanks for replying :)
23 Jul 2015, 18:12 PM

I am not sure that I understand how to make use of the VIS object only. I tried several different objects, but they just turned into "ghost" items. I could send units through them, as intended, they cast shadows and looked nice and all, but they also gave up the ability to block fire and LOS.

Clearly, this is a usefull thing for creating special things for example a bunker entrance, but in this case, sadly it's useless.
24 Jul 2015, 13:03 PM

I didn't think it would work.
I've requested LOS and Shot only blockers before, but never got a response.

FYI, there are several instances where the current Impass/Shot/LOS blockers don't actually do anything. My Rock Quarry map has them at some key elevation change area's, and when troops are spotted up top, the troops below just shoot right through them. It shows the fog of war blocking, but troops also just appear in the fog anyway most of the times.

In my case, I am probably stretching their design limits, but either way, it seems they are very restricted on the scope of what they can, and cannot do.

World Builder is VERY limited at what it is capable of. I am still waiting to be able to drive across a bridge, and go underneath it at the same time, without the tunnel script. That alone, would change the possible design of maps 10 fold.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★