Login

russian armor

Swift vs Angreifen - Where did I go wrong?

11 Jul 2015, 19:10 PM

So being rank 5000/4000 as Soviets and having only about 380 hours in the game this was a complete surprise. I checked afterwards and indeed I was matched up against the real Angreifen.

I wasn't feeling too confident knowing who I was against but nevertheless I played on. The first seven minutes of the game were definitely my strongest where map control fell into my hands reasonably easy. A lot of my problems emerged when I started to accumulate mistakes, not flanking the cut-off with conscripts to avoid the MG42, failing to put units behind cover because I was misclicking the one next to it, accidentally box selecting multiple units that I wanted to maneuver, dodgy mine placements (except for one of them) etc.

Watching it back I noticed that in engagements I was generally outgunned and this contributed to the shift of map control away from me, as well as the sneaky S mine field so carefully laid down outside my base approach lanes.

So my questions are what else did I do wrong, and how can this be overcome?

And well played to Angreifen as well, I'm not rage-posting because I felt I lost unfairly or something.

And also how do I get my replays to not show up blank like that?
11 Jul 2015, 19:27 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Taking a look at it.
12 Jul 2015, 10:14 AM
Senior Caster Badge
Patrion 39

The latest patch made it so the replay analyser isn't pulling the names from replays any more. You aren't at fault.

I know the first few times I got matched vs big names my heart rate shot up and I didn't play well, don't worry you get used to matching up vs them.

As for the game:
You should have coordinated the push onto the munitions at the start so both conscript squads attacked at the same time.

Use Oorah! on your conscripts more to close in on grens, there were a few engagements when you stood in the open vs grens in cover. You also didn't make any sandbags with your conscripts. A large strength of Guards is putting them behind heavy cover and being very hard to dislodge, sandbags are key for this.

You were very slow to react to your guards vs 3 grens in the south. Are you using the tactical map? It may help with your general awareness. I personally have a gaming mouse and bound one of the spare buttons to Numpad 0 for easy access to it.

At 10:00 you retreated a 4 man con squad and 4 man Guard squad that were next to each other. Merge the cons into the guards and send the cons back.

At 12:00 you should have smoked his MG with your heavy mortar

I also would lose to Angreifen and I don't play Guard Motor so hopefully Luvnest can provide more/better insight.
12 Jul 2015, 11:44 AM

That's some useful advice thank you, I do notice when watchign the games back I am very static even though in game I fell like I'm doing all I can. I don't use tactical map but I can always try it.

And Guard Motor is not the most fun doctrine to pick I generally use it for those clutch wins that I don't feel Lend Lease could give me.
12 Jul 2015, 17:53 PM
Strategist Badge
Patrion 39

Not really much to add to tightrope's analysis.

First of all good job of still fighting even though you knew that Angreifen is more experienced than you, keep up that attitude.

I think you did a good job in total but it seemed a little bit chaotic. Let me give you some general advice.

Overall you should be a little bit more careful with your engagements, sometimes you charge grens through red cover which makes you lose your fights. It's better to take a more careful approach sometimes (for example in the beginning, you see your opponent capping the munitions in the south, so don't run up to that squad and instead wait in green cover for him to approach). Also, secure territory after capturing it by placing sandbags on the edges of the capping circle.

Another thing is basic capping orders. You can assume that good Ostheer players won't spread out too far in the beginning, so you can capture your side of the map (the north) and then make a calculated attack from several angles, instead of just moving in one squad after another.

It sometimes felt you are just sending in squads all possible directions, even as you were on the backfoot. Secure the middle house, and try to recapture the northern side before advancing any further. Also, it's super important to capture key buildings (especially in the beginning) like the northern house or the one in front of your base. Try to capture those and cap around that territory with engies. After capturing your side, go for a cut off manouver.

I know these tips are a little bit vague, but I didn't really see any outstanding issues while looking through the replay. Most mistakes were due to the lack of routine, so I'm quite optimistic if you keep on going like that you will improve quite rapidly.

Hope that helps.

12 Jul 2015, 22:46 PM

I think it's excellent help, and nice to know I can get somewhere. Thank you very much. Lots of things vary on a game by game basis, sometimes I build sandbags, sometimes I never do, same with mines. I'll work on my finesse and focus and get to work with refining my play.

Thank you very much, I'd happily keep playing more games.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Sweden 35
Poland 11
New Zealand 9

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak