Login

russian armor

Army Skins for COH2 ala DoW2

27 Jun 2015, 12:20 PM

Hey there guys, I'm sure as Relic's loyal fans ( :snfPeter: ), most of you have played Dawn of War II, and by extension, Retribution. Something that Retribution did was add a set of DLC that changed the physical appearance of nearly every unit in an army to better reflect the army they represented. Ultramarines got a bunch of wanky capes and other such, Death Corps of Krieg got some trench coats and gothic masks, Black Templars some fancy robes and unique helmets, etc.

I think it'd be great if this could happen in COH, either as DLC or as part of the new flood of mods. Could be really cool to tie it to a commander, for example. IE-

When playing Airborne as US, all Rifleman get the camo netting in the helmets, 101st insignia, jackets. Armour company gets the Armoured emblem and maybe some unique vehicle decals (think pin-ups, paintings, tank names etched on the barrels, etc.) Infantry or Rifle company could get the Big Red One.

When playing as Ostheer and the Elite Troops commander is selected, infantry could get the tag of the Großdeutschland(despite them being represented in-game and on the Western Front by the PzF, for reasons) and accompanying insignia.

When playing as OKW and selecting Luftwaffe, infantry units could all take on the Fallschrimjager's bucket-helmet and camo netting.

When playing as Soviet and selecting Guards, infantry could get the capes and caps and such that Relic believes denoted elite Soviet divisions. Shock Motor or NKVD rifle could leave the conscripts looking a bit battered and worn down, some missing helmets and the like, to reflect the harsh fighting in Stalingrad.

Whilst every faction already has their own unique aesthetic flavour for lack of a better word, I feel it could be taken a step further(especially given the fact that the game is styled as Company of Heroes, meaning that, y'know, generally speaking, the units of such a small unit should look similar.)
27 Jun 2015, 12:27 PM
Donator 11

Love the idea. but can not imagine Relic taking on this huge task.

I rather believe we will get skin customizations throughout the ingame-store. For now its a bit disappointing, particularly compared to the customization options of coh1. Especially teamcolors ruin any immersion.

I want real WWII decals on my tanks.
28 Jun 2015, 04:49 AM
Patrion 28

they might do it and we do have ret as precedent but idk what the artists are doing
28 Jun 2015, 12:16 PM
Donator 33

I still have nightmares of "Pink" Space marines in Dawn of war 2
28 Jun 2015, 17:28 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I'd kinda doubt it'll ever happen for infantry. Relic's already nixed realistic camouflage skins out of fear of potential visibility issues with them, and the far smaller models on screen by comparison to DoW2 makes me think they'll look at it and realize you can barely notice any difference. Decals and vehicles skins are probably just going to be it, from that logic.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★