Login

russian armor

XCOM

16 Jun 2015, 20:32 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

So how's about that XCOM 2 eh? The different direction was surprising and intriguing to me - I hope it utilizes the change in setting to its fullest, and then things could turn out pretty well for the game.

On a related note, I went back to the previous XCOM playing the Long War mod on it, which is HOLYSHITGODDAMNAMAZING10/10!
16 Jun 2015, 20:54 PM
Donator 11

17 Jun 2015, 01:04 AM
Donator 11

HYPE

XCOM was awesome!
17 Jun 2015, 03:01 AM

just hope this time they make it longer, the previous one is way to short and the content wasn't as fun as old ones, in old one my favor is if enemy is above me i don't need to run out the building then climb up to shoot him, I can just rocket the roof and let enemy fall to me, also 4 soldiers camping elevator is fun.
17 Jun 2015, 04:29 AM

I hope there will be more maps. In the first XCOM they play upon different starting points, that was somewhat annoying.
17 Jun 2015, 15:10 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jun 2015, 04:29 AMAlioth
I hope there will be more maps. In the first XCOM they play upon different starting points, that was somewhat annoying.

They'll be using procedurally-generated maps for 2, so that will be fixed for ya.
24 Jun 2015, 22:03 PM

Damn, I honestly can't wait, procedurally generated maps sound just too awesome :drool:. XCOM: Enemy Unknown is one the best TBS games I've ever played (and I'm a big fan of TBS games). I just hope it's just too punishing as that one, since the difficulty is one the main attractions to it.
24 Jun 2015, 22:07 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jun 2015, 20:32 PMVuther

On a related note, I went back to the previous XCOM playing the Long War mod on it, which is HOLYSHITGODDAMNAMAZING10/10!

Long war seems really awesome, but the new classes, squad combinations etc just seem to make it a bit overwhelming. I haven't even played through the Enemy Within yet but I'll probably give it a go after that.
24 Jun 2015, 22:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jun 2015, 22:07 PMZtormi

Long war seems really awesome, but the new classes, squad combinations etc just seem to make it a bit overwhelming. I haven't even played through the Enemy Within yet but I'll probably give it a go after that.

Long War is a different beast and truly seems overwhelming, but after reading the wiki a bit its really manageable and almost ruins Vanilla for you.

8 man squads with 8 different classes (+ MECs and Psionics) give a lot more combinations of troop deployment that vanilla.
25 Jun 2015, 00:14 AM

Long War is a different beast and truly seems overwhelming, but after reading the wiki a bit its really manageable and almost ruins Vanilla for you.

8 man squads with 8 different classes (+ MECs and Psionics) give a lot more combinations of troop deployment that vanilla.

Well the squad size is one of the main things actually, I really feel like you lack the attachment to your squad members when you have that many members and such a long recovery times. One of my favourite things in XCOM is the fact you grow such fond of your team after a few missions. I'd much rather have this mod with 6 members max and shorter recovery times without this fatiqued nonsense.
25 Jun 2015, 16:28 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Jun 2015, 22:07 PMZtormi

Well, rookie-fights aren't overwhelming, they just actually have options in LW. :)

Grenades are definitely a lot tougher to get used though.

If you're interested, I'd say to start like me by reading through its wiki heavily first.

But yes, the game certainly emphasizes the "war" part - one where things are too big to put a face on everything. I got through the first two missions without losses, but then they started to pile on after...
26 Jun 2015, 21:50 PM

I like most of Long War, the latest patches have introduced some really great content.

One thing I hate about LW (and a lesser extent vanilla) is they balance out stronger classes/weapons and larger squads by making the late game aliens ridiculous HP/perk/dmg wise. Flanking and aggressive play goes out the window when you're fighting enemies with 30+ health and an insane amount of DR. I guess it's a limitation to the game engine and the way pod activations work (and something they are thankfully changing in XCOM2) but camping and extremely slow play really seems like the only way to beat the higher difficulties.
26 Jul 2015, 23:33 PM

Just as an aside, for those who can't wait, there is actually a sort of XCOM clone in the form of the Falling Skies game, tied into the TV series, which has made absolutely no splash at all and is therefore little known. It's not quite as slick or pretty, but on the up side it has a lot of handcrafted maps that you play only once.

On the whole, it's no more than serviceable, but if you're really jonesing for some XCOM style action, it may hold you over.

LP found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYhsJLxIzlg
31 Jul 2015, 00:56 AM

i like the direction Xcom 2 is going it has that Contra 3 or Metal Slug3 feel to it against fighting an extremely hostile and well equipped alien force
6 Aug 2015, 17:24 PM

8 Aug 2015, 02:58 AM

XCOM2 screenies:

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2015/08/xcom-2-screenshots.html

lol saw vids of the base "gameplay" today it was amazing =) note to self: preorder XCOM 2 as well as Fallout 4 (oh w8 i alreadly did that XD)
8 Aug 2015, 04:25 AM

I'm... actually I wonder if I lost my save with W10, but, I was in about July having completed Nova Scotia, downed TWO [2]!!?! supply ships without any real sustained casualties but I think I've screwed up my research paths, 'cos i'm consistently running into mechtoid's, missions i have to retreat from, EXALT missions are a pain, and my airforce really isn't up to the task. Not to mention the missions I do decide to take on have devolved into just a set of overwatch traps and RNG... it's really disappointing to me that the devs idea of "more difficult" is just filling the screen full of pods, but at the same time, just exactly how do you crank up the difficulty?
8 Aug 2015, 15:19 PM

lol saw vids of the base "gameplay" today it was amazing =) note to self: preorder XCOM 2 as well as Fallout 4 (oh w8 i alreadly did that XD)

Never pre-order. It only encourages them.
8 Aug 2015, 18:52 PM
Donator 11

xcom enemy unknown was great... really looking forward to xcom2
8 Aug 2015, 21:14 PM

xcom enemy unknown was great... really looking forward to xcom2

same here bro same here, it has that contra 3 feel to it
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L