Login

russian armor

Requesting 2vs2 review

7 Jun 2015, 03:35 AM

This was a long 2 vs 2 as Soviet + USA (Me) vs 2 Ostheer. I feel like we were being punished for being too aggressive early on, but we ended up wiping squads and tanks left and right at the end of the game. Sadly, we lost due to VP's and my teammate for some reason stopped playing aggressive once we finally gained the upperhand. I felt like we could have rushed them a bit toward the end because they had nothing to stop all of our combined armor.

Oh well. I feel like I could have done way better, so I'm looking for some criticism. What do you all think?
9 Jun 2015, 03:08 AM

I will gladly have a look at this and hopefully have a review posted by the morning.

Welcome to the site!
9 Jun 2015, 04:26 AM

I will gladly have a look at this and hopefully have a review posted by the morning.

Welcome to the site!

Thanks! Would mean a lot to me! :)
9 Jun 2015, 07:27 AM
Donator 11

- For your mate: be careful with a too early B4 pick, especially if both enemies got Stuka bombs, and one even has CAS. Lucky for your mate that sv_kreeper didn't go CAS, and Fitler didn't engage the B4, so the B4 could really pay off with some seriously nice hits.

- You guys need to have heal way earlier, especially if you take so much damage. You have a nice army in early game, but you bleed big time. 16 minutes was way too late.

- Apropo unhealed infantry: engaging via red cover with those is quite suicidal. You do this a lot in early and mid game. Keep in mind "your" enemy basically just spammed AGrens, you should be able to dominate those easily with just a few Rifles, not so much if you run through red cover with half health squads.

You weren't too agressive early, you were too careless.

- Try not to blob cap. Your mate loves to repeatedly send out 1k+ mp of infantry to cap one point.
While it's good to work on the flank, it's overall quite a huge investment to just cap / harass one VP, especially considering those two Shocks would have been more helpful to start breaking the middle, and besides the enemy just constantly recapturing that VP with a way smaller investment.

This allowed your opponent to keep the middle VP, which you struggled to capture. I'd suggest to split up those troops to decap the cutoff, and / or preferably help you finally pushing mid.

- You got a Major quite early on, followed by an ambulance a bit later, but he basically just sits around for nearly the whole game, not establishing a forward retreat or doing anything useful.

- In the middle of the game you lose your fuel point, your Rifles were capping it, but for whatever reason you send them away before they finish the capture, sh** happens, but don't capture random CPs if there's more important things to gain control of, like you could have regained your own fuel, capture the VP, the ammo point, or attack middle together with your mate...

- You're right about the "no agression" part, which loses you the game over time, even though you could have had the upper hand easily since mid game.
Shortly before the following screenshot you try to hold middle, and lose a squad due assault nades, another one nearly as well - micro mistakes happen - but here's the thing which certainly costs you the actually well deserved comeback:

This was a bit after you wiped nearly all infantry from kreeper, all P4s, the two Panthers from Fitler, and also a huge amount of support guns from him.
They got next to nothing left, a bit of infantry, a half health Tiger, two unhealthy AT guns, that's it.
But both of you got very decent manpower reserves, both of you got a shiny army intact with absolute armor & infantry superiority, both of you got offmap infantry ready to go, you got vehicle crews for captures as well, but... both of you also just sit in front of your own base and let the timer run down.

Random stuff:
- use HE rounds on the Sherman to wipe those poor Ostheer squads, especially if one player only spams AGrens, and nothing but AGrens.
- the farmhouse on your side, where your mate parks Cons in, and two soon to be dead Maxims, does not have a window to the north.
- the soundbug at 12:30 was quite dramatic :snfQuinn:
9 Jun 2015, 08:22 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jun 2015, 07:27 AMkamk
snip

Awesome feedback! Most things I have done wrong are mostly micro-management issues as I can tell. And I realize how much I lose track of time and get careless with my squads the longer the game goes, which is so, so bad lol.

I can't figure out for the life of me why we didn't push either VP's or continue the push right into their base after we broke them lol.

Again, thanks for taking a good look at the game! I'm going to take all of this into consideration during my next 2 vs 2 games :clap:
9 Jun 2015, 15:31 PM
Donator 11

Yup, IMO you should start with:
- earlier heal (preferably from your SOV mate), so you don't bleed that much and can actually stay in engagements
- avoid bad engagements, positioning, and paths - you really like to cross those red cover roads
- believe more in your combined power. Example: those two MG42s in the middle can be annoying, but together you could crack it more easily
- mines can win matches (sov mate had a huge ammo float)

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Jun 2015, 08:22 AMVANE

I can't figure out for the life of me why we didn't push either VP's or continue the push right into their base after we broke them lol.

I'm not so sure either, i felt a bit trolled at this point :D

You certainly understand though when to be greedy and sacrifice a unit to kill more expensive ones, like those two P4s (twice), Panthers, etc., but you need to follow up on those good engagements.

Pretty sure if you work on a few simple things, you will see quite a difference in a few games.
9 Jun 2015, 23:20 PM

Thank you kamk for the comprehensive review, which I’ll use a primer for my own. kamk, does a good job discussing the minutia of the game, but I’m going to make a more holistic and strategical analysis.

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jun 2015, 03:35 AMVANE
“I feel like we were being punished for being too aggressive early on,”

On the contrary, I thought you guys were rather passive. Even out of context, an aggressive allied team should generally hold about 2/3rds of the map. Perhaps it was more of an issue of where you were being aggressive. Traditionally 1v1 on Eindhoven requires splitting the map east to west, but here, make sure to take a few seconds to consider just how your opponents are playing. With 3 MG’s in the center houses opposite, they were about as mobile as a tree. With your own hold on the center, it would have been easy to keep a small garrison on your right flank, and swamp the rest of your forces on their fuel and overrun them, holding both fuels and instead just contesting the eastern most VP. This not only puts a lot more pressure on your opponents, but would have forced them to choose where to fight, or to split up, which is the real goal of aggressive play, dictating the pace and nature of the fight.

This I think highlights a more systemic problem in that you guys were far too predictable. kamk touches a little on this regarding early commander choice, but it shows throughout the game. You guys were absolutely married to a preconceived notion of victory and it let you down. I’m going to focus on your decisions here. Again, I suggest really taking a step back and critically examining how your opponents were playing. With absolutely 0 tier 1 (the MG hard point excluded) and assault grenadiers, an M15 maybe even a Stuart, or something as simple as grenades could have won you the game outright. Ask yourself how an M20 in that situation really helps you against your opponent’s entrenchment in the center. It did not provide really any equity at all in the game. The strategic discussion has evolved to a point where you simply can’t go M20 to fast Sherman and win, so be sure to ask yourself what the best strategy is, and then just execute it tactically. Fundamentally, you guys certainly executed well and with a confidence that allows you to be more fluid and adaptable in your play. That is a strength and edge, don't be afraid to use it.

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Jun 2015, 03:35 AMVANE
Sadly, we lost due to VP's and my teammate for some reason stopped playing aggressive once we finally gained the upper hand.

I would be more conscious of mid game exhaustion setting in, especially on the right hand flank, with the way you guys were blobbing, just by nature of getting tired, you were slower to react to situations and on a few occasions forced some realllly poor engagements, 2 rifles against an entire army for instance. By deciding to tangle in these situations you bleed MP and lose any edge you gain in the earlier stages of the game, and this is the beginnings of the slippery slope to defeat once you lost a few rifle squads. It’s very very verrrryyy important to replace these, either with AB as you attempted or with standard infantrymen, being aware of your MP float and perhaps delaying that second M36 or replacing a Sherman with a rifle squad can be soo soooo beneficial in the later stages of the game when points are running down, just by having proper map presence, but they also need to be utilized properly, (see above on blobbing) if anything especially in the later game as more powerful units with the potential to wipe hit the field. If you need to don't be worried about taking a step back a deep breath and regaining your focus, a few seconds of VP bleed before things get out of hand can let you regain your focus and kick their teeth in when it counts.

Thank you for posting, and once again, welcome to the site. I hope you found our feedback helpful. If there is any way you feel I could improve, don’t hesitate to shout. :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 36
Germany 25
France 19
Netherlands 4
Germany 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L