Login

russian armor

Need a review on my OKW play

31 May 2015, 12:50 PM

Need a replay review on my lame OKW play. It took me an unnecessarily long time for me to win the game. Don't mind the Maxim beating my infantry. I played this when I was hungry and sleepy. :P

Thanks. :)
9 Jun 2015, 03:06 AM

Steel my dear friend. Would you like me to take a look, or perhaps someone more versed in the ways of the OKnatti?
9 Jun 2015, 03:36 AM

Steel my dear friend. Would you like me to take a look, or perhaps someone more versed in the ways of the OKnatti?
Do take a look for me, old chap.
9 Jun 2015, 04:02 AM

I think you would benefit from fewer grenade tosses. You threw a lot of unnecessary grenades, and the added cost over time could have been better spent on schrecks for your volks or STGs for your Obersoldaten. Tossing grenades for every infantry engagement is a really costly habit over time.

You might be able to mess with your unit choices as well. You went straight for panthers, but you would have hit harder with an early panzer ii, stuka halftrack or even a sturmtiger. If you loaded your volks up with schrecks early, the panther wouldn't have been needed and you could've pressed the advantage you had with your strong map control using different vehicles.

That's all I can think of, at any rate. Maybe someone smarter has better advice.

10 Jun 2015, 02:06 AM

Well mate that was a fun one to watch. Congratulations. Are you trying to turn into a tournament player? You’re smashing out the 1’s ;)

Personally I’m of the notion that a win is a win, and some things can’t be helped, but if you’re keen on “optimizing” I think Xucphra hits on some areas of improvement, and they all begin with build. If pace is a concern try a kubelwagen/cut off opening. I’m not keen on it, but if you want to win quick, you need to go for the jugular right off the bat, and your use of sturms is certainly strong enough, those early routes and wipes with your pios was a joy to watch, tactical brilliance there.

Again, things got a little bumpy though with your build order. I’ve been thinking a little more about the raketen, in the beginning I questioned it as soon as I saw it, but it did give you more room to spread out your munitions use, providing AT cover that shreks would have provided otherwise, so in the end it really suited your style of play, but I do think you could have held off a little bit with it and purchased it later. Be sure to examine your opponents base splats, and commander choice, the only armor you had to deal with was the Su85, and that MP went essentially unused.

I really like the LeIG, I think it can provide that little bit of edge in a firefight, and like a sniper, frustrates your opponent. Just be a little more careful with it, it’s not a mortar and needs to be utilized almost like an MG.

If it feels like I’m harping on build order, it’s ‘cos I am :P a Panther is nice to have, but again with how your opponent was playing it wasn’t really necessary, and with respect, the way you utilized it, nearly became a liability. Be sure to support that bad boy. There are a lot of nasty surprises that can await it, and I think you ran into nearly every one of them, and when it was supported it wasn’t really all that compelling against his infantry centric army, just being a little more… purposeful, specific with how you engage with it can help you, because it is a specialized unit for a specialized situation which didn’t really materialize considering your opponents build. I think a Luchs wins you that game instead, and with your selection of SpecOps you had it covered anyway with the CPV. So just be sure to be a little more flexible in your own build and commander selection, there were a lot more tasty options available for you to utilize, and again if you’re worried about pace, are required to win quick.

Finally, be sure to keep your aggression/frustration in check. I’m not sure what your read was on the last engagement, if you felt you could have been overwhelmingly victorious, but you forced the engagement and it sort of fell on it's head. More mistakes like that in a game which you did not dominate, or against a stronger opponent/standard build and you could be sweating it afterwards. Just something to bear in mind.
10 Jun 2015, 03:02 AM

Hmm, good point about the panzer ii. I ought to have gotten it with panzerschreck support. When would you throw grenades though? I like my nades. :P

Well mate that was a fun one to watch. Congratulations. Are you trying to turn into a tournament player? You’re smashing out the 1’s ;)

Personally I’m of the notion that a win is a win, and some things can’t be helped, but if you’re keen on “optimizing” I think Xucphra hits on some areas of improvement, and they all begin with build. If pace is a concern try a kubelwagen/cut off opening. I’m not keen on it, but if you want to win quick, you need to go for the jugular right off the bat, and your use of sturms is certainly strong enough, those early routes and wipes with your pios was a joy to watch, tactical brilliance there.

Again, things got a little bumpy though with your build order. I’ve been thinking a little more about the raketen, in the beginning I questioned it as soon as I saw it, but it did give you more room to spread out your munitions use, providing AT cover that shreks would have provided otherwise, so in the end it really suited your style of play, but I do think you could have held off a little bit with it and purchased it later. Be sure to examine your opponents base splats, and commander choice, the only armor you had to deal with was the Su85, and that MP went essentially unused.

I really like the LeIG, I think it can provide that little bit of edge in a firefight, and like a sniper, frustrates your opponent. Just be a little more careful with it, it’s not a mortar and needs to be utilized almost like an MG.

If it feels like I’m harping on build order, it’s ‘cos I am :P a Panther is nice to have, but again with how your opponent was playing it wasn’t really necessary, and with respect, the way you utilized it, nearly became a liability. Be sure to support that bad boy. There are a lot of nasty surprises that can await it, and I think you ran into nearly every one of them, and when it was supported it wasn’t really all that compelling against his infantry centric army, just being a little more… purposeful, specific with how you engage with it can help you, because it is a specialized unit for a specialized situation which didn’t really materialize considering your opponents build. I think a Luchs wins you that game instead, and with your selection of SpecOps you had it covered anyway with the CPV. So just be sure to be a little more flexible in your own build and commander selection, there were a lot more tasty options available for you to utilize, and again if you’re worried about pace, are required to win quick.

Finally, be sure to keep your aggression/frustration in check. I’m not sure what your read was on the last engagement, if you felt you could have been overwhelmingly victorious, but you forced the engagement and it sort of fell on it's head. More mistakes like that in a game which you did not dominate, or against a stronger opponent/standard build and you could be sweating it afterwards. Just something to bear in mind.
To be honest, I was worried about hitting mines with my panzer ii.
My sturmpio made a mistake going south actually. Messed up right from the start. :D
Thanks you Xucphra, turbo. :)
10 Jun 2015, 07:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jun 2015, 03:02 AMsteel
Hmm, good point about the panzer ii. I ought to have gotten it with panzerschreck support. When would you throw grenades though? I like my nades. :P

I usually only throw grenades opportunistically. I throw one if I'm certain it can't be dodged in time. I would also throw it at a unit in cover or a building that will either be forced to move or eat the blast, which is a win/win with either result being a success. If you can't put yourself in a situation where the grenade toss has only positive outcomes for you, you're gambling with your munitions resource and hoping for a payout.

Grenades are fine when they work, but it's important to consider the cost. Grenades aren't free, and sometimes that's easy to forget. Habitually throwing grenades gets predictable as well, since your opponent will come to expect it. It's a trick that generally works less well with each use.

That was me looking back on how you could've improved your infantry force. I saw that you needed some infantry-held AT weapons to counter the SU-85s, but you couldn't afford them.

I think turbo had a good point when he said a win is a win. If you're looking for more efficiency it's important to nitpick your decisions to try and eliminate faults. It's the little things that can often make a huge difference when you consider how they affect other parts of your strategy.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★