Login

russian armor

USF AA HT Anti-Air Mode

Pop
1 May 2015, 03:25 AM

Ok this has always made me wonder and now I'm going to ask the wide world of coh2 knowledge...

What does this actually give the AA HT in terms of anti-aircraft capabilities?

I ask as I have played several games of 2v2 as double USF with a mate of mine against the might of Close Air Support. Over the course of the game we have decided to leave an AA HT on AA mode to help down the CAS planes but it never seems to do anything. In a fairly central spot it shoots down nothing so I'm genuinely wondering if it is just a gimmick or is actually intended to be used as AA?
1 May 2015, 03:36 AM

During AA mode, the M15 has a chance to instantly shoot down planes.

But in order to do that, it needs to see the ground under the plane?...

Ive only been able to shoot down planes that fly directly over the M15.
1 May 2015, 03:43 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Not reliable. If anything it makes it more vulnerable to AT strafes because it doesnt move.

When it actually does its fucking job(shootng the plane down before it kills something in one pass) the plane crashes on your units.
1 May 2015, 03:58 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Each shot has a very low percent chance of instakilling the plane, something like 5%. If I remember right the AA mode just increases the range that it can shoot at planes by 33% or something. Not very helpful.
1 May 2015, 04:19 AM
Patrion 14

in my experience, it significantly increases the AA range. normal AA vehicles i believe have same 40 range against air units as they do with ground units. but with AAHT in AA mode, you have like half of 2v2 map covered... in theory. i also think you need vision of the aircraft, as in you have a unit where the aircraft is coming in from, to make the halftrack utilise the full range. without it, the superior range means jackshit.

another reason why AAHT doesnt do shit against CAS is because the aircrafts usually either a. shoot the payload before coming inside the map b. shoots very soon after they entre the map c. something in between.

conclusion: AAHT in AA mode is only good against loitering air abilities.

in one test, i set the AAHT in AA mode in the middle of Vaux Farmland and turned the FOW off. then i called in the CAS Stuka single strafe AT on the halftrack. Rarely (~10%) the halftrack killed the aircraft before it had chance to shoot all of its payload. now that is with vision toggled on.
1 May 2015, 05:50 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Single pass strafes can't be countered unless you have an AA source between the plane and the place it wants to strafe.

Against CAS, your best bet is to dodge.
1 May 2015, 09:03 AM
Patrion 28

Against CAS, your best bet is to dodge.

which is indeed a bet.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %