Login

russian armor

Questions for 1v1 as OKW

29 Apr 2015, 04:11 AM

I've only played a few games as OKW and have some questions for the people who play a lot of 1v1's. The smaller maps and no OST teammates mean not a lot of munitions and seem to force some hard choices.

1) 3 volks or 4? Does it depend on the map? Do you upgrade them all right away or wait until armor out?
2) Do you buy the ISG? I've been buying one but it seems to kill less than an OST motar but costs twice as much. If you don't, how do you counter Soviet mortars, who seem to bleed OKW like crazy (my micro isn't good enough to keep all my units moving all of the time).
3) If you get a ISG, do you spot for it with an IR halftrack or a unit like Jaeger Light or Panzerfusiliers?
4) If you're pretty sure that they're going Shock Rifle, do you get Jagdpanzer first or Panther?
5) If they've decided to be as annoying as garden pudding and get one or two snipers, how do you counter those? I've tried Jaeger Light but they still seem to bleed manpower badly.
6) What commanders do you usually have loaded?
7) Is there a map guide somewhere? I've googled for one but haven't been able to find one.
29 Apr 2015, 05:48 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Ill partially answer this,OKW is not my favorite but playing against them and watching I've come to these conclusions.

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2015, 04:11 AMGrumpy
I've only played a few games as OKW and have some questions for the people who play a lot of 1v1's. The smaller maps and no OST teammates mean not a lot of munitions and seem to force some hard choices.

1) 3 volks or 4? Does it depend on the map?
Cant put a number on how many volks you should get,up to you and your strat.(Do you want fusiliers as well?Are you going double sturms?)
Do you upgrade them all right away or wait until armor out?
Against USF and T1 soviet base splat upgrade right away,if against soviet T2 do not upgrade until you see T3 vehicles
2) Do you buy the ISG? I've been buying one but it seems to kill less than an OST motar but costs twice as much. If you don't, how do you counter Soviet mortars, who seem to bleed OKW like crazy (my micro isn't good enough to keep all my units moving all of the time).
when ISG is used against me this patch its seemingly a worthwhile purchase,good engagement winner if it hits and inflicts suppression,even if it doesnt kill anything
3) If you get a ISG, do you spot for it with an IR halftrack or a unit like Jaeger Light or Panzerfusiliers?
All of those work,its personal/doctrinal preference. Jaegers would probably be best for cheapness and utility in comparision to the others.
4) If you're pretty sure that they're going Shock Rifle, do you get Jagdpanzer first or Panther?
I would go jagdpanzer because sometimes soviet can burn down your schewer while/or before your panther is built,but they can also burn down your battle group HQ....both are good against IS2s so get either one really.
5) If they've decided to be as annoying as garden pudding and get one or two snipers, how do you counter those? I've tried Jaeger Light but they still seem to bleed manpower badly.
you're simply fucked unless they mess up,same with any indirect fire like 120s,katysuha,or priest.. OKW is up shits creek against indirect fire and snipers.
Fortifications and breakthrough always,last one would probably be command panther doc for me,JLI doc is good too
7) Is there a map guide somewhere? I've googled for one but haven't been able to find one.
try the guides section to see if the map you want is covered,if not post maps you'd like guides on

29 Apr 2015, 12:59 PM

Ill partially answer this,OKW is not my favorite but playing against them and watching I've come to these conclusions.

Thanks! One follow-up question - when you go Breakthrough, do you ever get a sturmoficer (sp?)? I never seem to have enough munitions to use his abilities so I'm not sure how useful he normally is.
29 Apr 2015, 13:33 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2015, 12:59 PMGrumpy

Thanks! One follow-up question - when you go Breakthrough, do you ever get a sturmoficer (sp?)? I never seem to have enough munitions to use his abilities so I'm not sure how useful he normally is.

I do against a maxim into shocks spammer if I want to force retreats for the lolz, when you get him you just have to understand you're not gonna have or need shrieks for a while, wouldn't get him against M3s,m20,AAHT because the direct counter to blobbing around a storm officer is mobile suppression(you can't force retreat an AAHT) or and mobile harassment with M20/M3.
30 Apr 2015, 04:02 AM

my usual load out is
Special Operations Doctrine, Luftwaffe Ground Forces Doctrine, and Fortifications

my favor is Luftwaffe Ground Forces Doctrine, and Fortifications depend on maps. I go special operations against su that is weapon team spamming, then i will go walking stuka first to turn enemy weapon team to ashes
30 Apr 2015, 04:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Apr 2015, 04:11 AMGrumpy

1) 3 volks or 4? Does it depend on the map? Do you upgrade them all right away or wait until armor out?

1) depends on the commander, if you are going one of the commanders with call in infantry, 3 is the better choice. I like playing the defensive commander, and for me I get a second sturm pioneer unit (I am one of the hand full of people who love Panzer grens in a 1v1)

2) I only get the ISG on maps with a lot of buildings or if there are 120's so you have some sort of push back against the barrages. Just make sure yo umove them all the time.

3) I dont spot for it, you generally dont need to just like a mortar. YOu can if you get panzer fusiliers use their sexy extended sight and vet one flares to spot for you

4) If they are going shock rifle get a panther, Jag P4s are good but you have time to wait it out for a panther assuming you have had fuel. If you have lost your fuel for a decent amount of time, Jagd P4 is a must. Just be careful, a KV8 can be game ending so be sure to have defensive mines

5) Falls and Jager are expensive, but potentially hard countering. Volks are a large enough sponge if you have 4 or 5 of them. Other wise its about flanking them when they dont see it. While it is frustrating, if you are loosing a few volks models here and there it is not the biggest issue. delay it long enough and you can have a flack halftrack or Luchs to put an end to it.

6) well I like defensive, Luftwaffe, and break through
12 May 2015, 16:21 PM

If im being more aggresive, like fussie spam etc, dont get an ISG. If your playing a more defensive style around your trucks, the enemy will push on you, so the ISG works absolute wonders then at defending you. Its generally so much safer having it in close proximity to your HQs.

Snipers and mortars can be wrecked by a fast Luchs, so long as you can support it with shreks when a counter comes running.
30 May 2015, 19:38 PM

If im being more aggresive, like fussie spam etc, dont get an ISG. If your playing a more defensive style around your trucks, the enemy will push on you, so the ISG works absolute wonders then at defending you. Its generally so much safer having it in close proximity to your HQs.

Snipers and mortars can be wrecked by a fast Luchs, so long as you can support it with shreks when a counter comes running.

Don't you have to have fairly decent map control to go fast Luchs? I usually play defensively when playing OKW, but that's probably part of my problem (53% win rate in 1v1 after about 40 games since last patch). Is there anyplace where someone has strategies that work for Langreskaya? I've lost on it almost every time when starting on the top.

30 May 2015, 20:28 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post30 May 2015, 19:38 PMGrumpy

Don't you have to have fairly decent map control to go fast Luchs? I usually play defensively when playing OKW, but that's probably part of my problem (53% win rate in 1v1 after about 40 games since last patch). Is there anyplace where someone has strategies that work for Langreskaya? I've lost on it almost every time when starting on the top.

You only need 1 fuel and half the map for 4-5 mins to rush a Luchs

Just set up med truck near fuel or between cutoff and fuel... Preferably behind those buildings .(hopefully you know what I'm talking about)

Then just hold on for dear life until T4 which you should probably set up near those buildings as well, then poop out the Luchs.

You pretty much have to go Pak43 and MG34s though.
31 May 2015, 01:00 AM

Here is what I think about OKW 1v1s: Dont play it atm.

Soviets wreck you; your best chance is blobbing up your 3-4 volkshreck blob behind a sweeper BUT first; medic truck and Jagdpanzer 4 + elite infantry (falls, jaegers, fusis). Try to hold out against call-ins and slowly creep forward. Dont bother with T4 'cuz you'll just set yourself behind teching even more. The thing is you have to wait for your opponent to make a mistake.

Against USF it's much easier as you can get a kübel + 3 volks and harass his capping; the deal is the same thought: dug in with T2 + T4 and blob and defend.

Btw;. any1 got any idea how to counter Katy?
31 May 2015, 02:03 AM
Donator 11

Soviets wreck you; your best chance is blobbing up your 3-4 volkshreck blob behind a sweeper BUT first; medic truck and Jagdpanzer 4 + elite infantry (falls, jaegers, fusis). Try to hold out against call-ins and slowly creep forward. Dont bother with T4 'cuz you'll just set yourself behind teching even more. The thing is you have to wait for your opponent to make a mistake.

Against USF it's much easier as you can get a kübel + 3 volks and harass his capping; the deal is the same thought: dug in with T2 + T4 and blob and defend.

Against katy I would try to infiltrate with luchs or jpzer on camo. Those vehicles kill it in a second, you just need to make sure you have clear retreat path.
31 May 2015, 03:41 AM

You only need 1 fuel and half the map for 4-5 mins to rush a Luchs

Just set up med truck near fuel or between cutoff and fuel... Preferably behind those buildings .(hopefully you know what I'm talking about)

Then just hold on for dear life until T4 which you should probably set up near those buildings as well, then poop out the Luchs.

You pretty much have to go Pak43 and MG34s though.

Thx, I'll try that the next time I'm on Langreskaya.
31 May 2015, 03:49 AM

I've been enjoying playing OKW. I've been winning a little over half, with some maps and combinations really bad. I used to play only US before the Sept 9 patch last year, then switched to Soviets because USF was horrible in large team games. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of choices when playing those factions so it got really boring.
31 May 2015, 19:55 PM

Against katy I would try to infiltrate with luchs or jpzer on camo. Those vehicles kill it in a second, you just need to make sure you have clear retreat path.

That's true; problem is you have to rely on your opponent to leave a gap and avoiding mines. It's possible, but very risky and mostly wont work against good players.
1 Jun 2015, 14:59 PM

Best thing against Katys, try not to be too immobile, making yourself an easy target. If he is attacking your tucks, make sure to get an upgraded S pio to hang around the truck repairing it (super fast) whenever needed, if you hear the katy fire, make sure to stop the pios from repairing, and preferably move them away from the truck for a second.

Sometimes the best way to counter something, is to limit its effect on the game, as this can be less risky, easier to achieve and is not playing into the hands of your opponent (he's probably set an ambush for raiding vehicles.)
1 Jun 2015, 19:19 PM
Donator 11

There are also some commander abilities that can help you with knocking katy down:
Spec ops commander have outmap flare that can help you avoid ambush.
Flares, great sight range, fast movement and rifle at nades are also available for fusiliers.
And last but not the least falshirmjeagers can deploy either from bulding or paradrop on enemy point behind the katy, they kill it quickly even with small arms.
The advantage of infantry based solutions is basically that usually hitting retreat button is enough to preserve squad after infiltration. With vehicles you need clear retreat path as I said before and you somewhat gamble on hitting the mine.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★