Login

russian armor

Should Relic apologise for dishonoring Soviets in COH2?

• This thread is locked
31 Mar 2015, 04:20 AM

Well during WWII Soviets were basically like the 1400s where they go around conquering and raping everything in sight so I guess it kind of makes sense. Go Communism Kappa *cough* *cough* RIP East Berlin women. Kappa and btw those comics showing Islam is kind of asking for someone to come get you since it is rather insulting to their religion. Funny but not something you want to write a comic about and then show it to a Muslim. fyi you spelled Mohammad wrong.
31 Mar 2015, 04:37 AM

Relic should have made 2 campaigns, and Axis one as grim and brutal as Soviet, then nobody will be satisfied anyway, but at least we will have not so one-sided view of events. I think Relic desire to represent how desperate Soviets fought after devastating defeats suffered in first 3 months of German invasion gone too far. Thats for what they can apologize.

But why the hell they should apologize for showing true historical events which took place?
31 Mar 2015, 05:47 AM

This is why the Eastern front in particular and the emergence of the USSR is such a bitch to have an historical interest in.

You either have people who bring in too much nationalist emotion trying to downplay the crimes and problems of the soviet system, or you have westerners with no historical understanding/knowledge whatsoever belittling an entire nation.

Both sides gives me nothing but headaches, and both sides should pick up a book.

Thank you voort for giving me some hope in humanity.
31 Mar 2015, 05:59 AM

Jesus. The attempts at turning this into a meaningful reasonable discourse are amazing, please, keep it up! Attitudes like that positively impact the world.
31 Mar 2015, 06:05 AM

^
You have to much fate in humanity and members of this forum, beware - one day it will destroy you.
31 Mar 2015, 07:05 AM
Patrion 14

I don't understand why relic decided to go the way they did with the russian campaign. The Soviets DID commit atrocities, that is a historical fact. The Germans also committed attrocities, some that were very famous. The US committed attrocities as well (for those naysayers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canicatt%C3%AC_massacre).

All in all, no country was perfect. That being said, Relic chose to make a game named Company of Heroes. The precedent set in the first game was that the story follows regular soldiers and commanders who must overcome impossible odds to bring their men victory. All factions portraid in COH1 (USA, Brits, Germans) had campaigns which followed regular, relatable soldiers who were fighting for their countries.

Then, when relic moved onto the eastern front, they suddenly decided to report on many of the more questionable actions of the soviet union in WW2, to a point where the game portrays "heroes" being executed by their own country. (executing a man for saving an intelligence officer? really?)

If I was someone living in Russia, I too would be quite miffed seing the struggles of my forefathers trivialized as a group of farmers being forced to fight by their government. This would be like having the US campaign in ardennes assault follow a unit of draftees who never wanted to join the war and in fact were attempting to desert the entire time.
31 Mar 2015, 07:12 AM
Patrion 14

WutFace
31 Mar 2015, 07:14 AM

My concern is not whether that Campaign "dishonours" anybody or not, or even whether it can be historically justified or not - but rather why when there are millions of stories that Relic could have told they chose to tell that one.

A game that should be huge in Russia, and they chose a storyline that's going to piss that market off.

If you can have a clean German campaign it shouldn't be hard to do it for the Red Army.

That's like making an USMC game about the Pacific, and then having key bits of gameplay be about collecting Japanese skulls to send home to your girlfriend and carving letter openers out of their bones.

Now if you do that, you don't get to act surprised if the Americans get pissed at you.

It shows remarkably poor judgement rather than anything else

+1
31 Mar 2015, 07:16 AM

The campaigns are often ripped straight from famous movies and TV shows. CoH1 was Band of Brothers x Saving Private Ryan for the Ameri campaign. CoH2 is Enemy at the Gates + vague popular conception of what the Eastern Front Was. It's not strictly inaccurate in either case but nor does it give the full story.

But no, Relic shouldn't apologize. And Russian servicemen are doing a fine job dishonoring themselves in Ukraine right now :snfAmi:
31 Mar 2015, 07:17 AM

This thread is to retarded not to be locked. Mods, come on.
nee
31 Mar 2015, 07:19 AM

I thought the campaign was overly dramatic on the usual tropes of shooting retreating soldiers. Not offensive if you compare it with the Hollywood dross, it was more like dumb and unimaginative.
31 Mar 2015, 07:20 AM

I see no harm in an apology. I feel the atrocities of the Soviet army, of which there were some, are over blown by western media and historiography. That's what happened here. If it had some of the elements of the Soviet army such as the no retreat orders etc then that would have been cool but the whole campaign was basically showing how the soldiers were constantly being massacred by their own commissars etc.

It was totally overplayed.

TLDR: Do they need to apologise? no. Would it be a good thing? probably, and doesn't cost anything.

Edit: TLDR 2: What nee said ^
31 Mar 2015, 07:23 AM

VonVoort is semi right, from a commercial standpoint its a poor decision. That being said, its still a video game. @OP, I demand that you kowtow for insulting my intelligence. Also, I want a Ferrari and a blowjob, pronto.
31 Mar 2015, 07:26 AM

This thread would probably implode if it goes on any longer. I'm locking this for now. Mods, unlock it if you wish so.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

United Kingdom 63
unknown 4
unknown 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak