Login

russian armor

Soviet AT help needed

25 May 2013, 09:42 AM

I've only played as Soviets in this game at the moment, and against AI while I get used to the different set ups. Was never a very good vCoH player tbh (~level 5 WM), but in COH2 am having terrible trouble against early German light armour. Was looking in disbelief at the large range of AT geat ze Germans have available - was spending a lot of res on the AT grenades, but that's a sticking plaster as opposed to a real solution.

Thinking a bit harder about it, I've started building the infantry building for Guards (for light vehicle offence), and rushing to get at least 1 AT gun out which I sit near my HQ so that it can be protected (or reinforced easily), then push it out slowly as I build the AT protection up. Just finished an AI match where I tried this out, and it seemed to work pretty well, almost a relaxed victory. Still only against Standard AI though.

So - is this the right way to do things? If so, it kind of limits your commander choice initially, as 2 out of the 3 have guards.

I'm guessing what I've posted above is a T1-T2 strat, with a final move to T3 to get out the SU-76 to help my (now 2) AT guns.
Hux
30 May 2013, 00:06 AM
Patrion 14

Play as German faction and play exactly in the way in which you are describing having trouble responding to as the Soviets. Play an actual person (or 10!) and play this way in every match. You might win them all, but you also might loose to some people's strategies. after several games this should provide you with multiple solutions to your problem. After all, knowing rock, paper, scissors counters to every unit is one thing but being able to weigh up your options and formulate strategies from them is something completely different. Good luck, let us know what you find (some expert will wander in and help you out eventually).
2 Jun 2013, 11:44 AM

Tried throwing it some guards or early tanks yourself? Your tanks *should* hit the field earlier compared to German armor as Russian armor is available earlier - especially after the Stug-nerf.

On another note: Company of Heroes is a game where it really pays off to know a bit about every team - not just the one you like to play.

When you know how to play another team, you will not only (obviously) perform better when playing as them, but also against them. You will know what to expect, you will know what kind of build orders are available and if you are surprised by some kind of strategy, then you can easily figure out how to counter it and also execute it.

Not to mention that it gives a wider perspective on balance and the meta-game.
8 Jun 2013, 18:11 PM

Well, the hassles I've mostly been having are against the AI. Lame, I know, but I want to get at least basically familiar with the game before I lose terribly. Did play 1 2v2 and I was the weaker of the two partners and we got completely steamrolled. I was hopeless, could not hold a point to save my life against ze Germans.

Any road, have played a few games as Ostheer against teh AI, and it's immediately more familiar to me (fave faction was Germans in vCoH). Completely rinsed the AI, a few times. It just seemed...easier.

Was focussing on Soviets because it was a 'new' faction.

I guess I just need to get out there and play 1v1s and stop wussing about :)
raw
10 Jun 2013, 19:47 PM

Spam Paks. LoL into enemy face.
23 Jun 2013, 16:13 PM

Your quickest access to AT as Soviets are anti-tank grenades for your Conscripts and mines for your engineers.

After that it's Guards.

Next up is the ZiS-3 AT gun, followed by the light tank and SU-76 (requires identical amounts of fuel to reach).

One key to strong play is understanding that you can't always have a hard counter for your opponent's units immediately available. For example, if he built a couple of scout cars early to harass you with, you don't have a reliable AT option until Guards (and that's only if you selected the doctrine). or AT guns (which are fairly immobile) Even so, it's actually not a big deal to let them just shoot at you and lose some men. Stick them in cover or in a building and wait till you have something that'll wipe the cars out easily, like a T-70.

There's a full list of AT weapons separated by phases here.
23 Jun 2013, 22:59 PM

What I tend to do as Russians (because I hate games with flamer clowncar - it wins but it's not fun)

Is go 4 cons -> T2 -> ZIS-3 generally.

And depending on my opponent's fuel situation in the game, I either go T-34 or SU-85 for AT.

I never realised how potent the SU-85 was till it was used against my P4s. They are very good.
24 Jun 2013, 16:19 PM

Buy 2-4 conscripts (depending on how fast you plan to get shock troops and how many) then go T2->T4. Build an AT gun right away at T2(barrage MG teams and such until you have a vehicle to target) and then save for T4, stopping for a maxim or mortar IF the situation calls for it. If you have successfully starved your opponent for fuel and he/she only has inf and light vehicles, get an SU76 for barrages. If your opponent has plenty of fuel get an SU85 first (maybe two if you confirm your opponent is rushing tanks), then an SU76 or rocket truck for barrages(I prefer the SU76).
24 Jun 2013, 17:29 PM

I've found that the safest thing to do as Russians is to play T2. Get your AT nade, damage the engine, move in with your at gun, cover it with Maxim and guards. If you choose the mortar doctrine, save fuel, you'll have two t34/85 who can essentially disable an elephant tank if one rams. Use your at gun to finish it off and cover it with the other t34/85.
27 Jun 2013, 02:27 AM
Patrion 27

27 Jun 2013, 02:31 AM
Patrion 27

27 Jun 2013, 02:32 AM
Patrion 27

Despite Soviets being obviously the more aggressive faction, I would recommend making your first three or four units, then building tier two and scouting your opponent.

At this point in the game (3-5 minutes) you should be able to have some good map control and bait out the Ostheer player's tier one units by pushing into their territory a bit and forcing their hand. Don't worry, you can just retreat if you have to and you can spend your munitions on AT mines along your retreat path.

They have an Mg42? Make a Maxim. they can fire even when pinned.

They have a mortar? Maxim. You can just run at the mortar.

They have a sniper? Maxim.

OK, you could make a mortar first against a sniper but happy aiming ;) I'd rather make a Maxim or even a Conscript to just exert more map control and avoid the sniper. He will die as soon as you have a T70 or Su-76 out anyway.

Replay for an example of reactive play: http://www.coh2.org/replays/4607/soviet-build-analysis-over-in-less-than-700
27 Jun 2013, 04:53 AM

Soviet AT nade with AT gun. Make sure you cover your AT gun with an MG. Also, don't forget you can reinforce your support crews with conscripts! Keep them fully stocked with 6 man crew and repair the gun itself with engineer. You'll eat the German armor for breakfast.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★