Login

russian armor

WW2 Documents, Myths and Facts

PAGES (8)down
29 May 2015, 15:36 PM

I am genuinely curious as to what university in the states offers a minor in "german military history" to programming undergrads.

You can minor in anything you wish to. Since I finished all my programming courses pre-freshman to sophomore year I spent my Jr and Sr taking what I wished along with the few math courses I had left. Many US schools offer Military History and focus classes from Nazi Germany & Holocaust to the Prussian Military Campaigns of the 1800's.Thus I graduated as a Software Program Major with a Minor in Military History -> Prussia/Germany.
Hope I answered your question :)
24 Jun 2015, 03:17 AM

Agreed. Again it is the same thing as was discussed before. Superior tactics is not nearly as important as superior strategy.
The historical Model Esxile is points that both the strategy and tactics where outdated and this is the key point into looking at the French defeat in 1940s.
As opposed to the classical model that claims equipment, fighting will and capabilities of the soldiers as key points.

Regarding tactics 'vs' strategy, It was, as I understand it, one of the Germans greatest flaw. Lack of clear strategic mindset, thinking that if they just won battles they would win the war. However in industrialized warfare the ability to stall, harass and bleed is just as important as it is to be able to mobilize your industry and fully utilize the entirety. The latter two German was never really capable of doing until it was to late. And then more as a result of panic than of anything else.

While their is some truth to what you say the blame can lies far more on Hitler and his nazi ilk then the German military. Hitler gave the strategic objectives not the OKW and Guderian clashed often with him on that. And mobilisation of the economy is not something the military can change either. Of course they could suggest but the nazi's really dropped the ball here when they finally started to switch to a full war economy in 1943. WW2 might have looked very differently if they started in 1940.
28 Jun 2015, 20:28 PM

1 Jul 2015, 17:56 PM

PAGES (8)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment