Login

russian armor

Heavy artillery vs. Tanks

10 Mar 2015, 15:58 PM

The way to avoid base pinning with arty is to make it needed to hold the line by shelling advancing units and make it so it can only hit areas the size of football fields. We could also push it back in CP's and make it better. It should fire more often but have fewer shells, and it should not be killable by off map as easily (more-so for the Allied arty).

Combining arty, tanks, and infantry in a well coordinated strike was a great feeling in COH1, but is not really doable in COH2 right now.
10 Mar 2015, 16:03 PM

It will be cool to implement top armor mechanic, artillery can just take it from there.
I don't see how that would change anything. Heavy arty already has enough pen to penetrate all vehicles. That would only be relevant to things like the M8 and mortars.
10 Mar 2015, 16:13 PM
Patrion 14

can be fun. but when i get to use ML20 and priests, i find them pretty useful against stationary tanks already. LeFH to some extent, too.
10 Mar 2015, 17:58 PM

There has been numerous threads about arty over the past months. I'd like to see them all changed up to some extent but I think we won't see a glorious return until Anti-aircraft mechanics are changed. With CAS being a staple in large team games the Priest is the only viable artillery piece for the Allies.
10 Mar 2015, 18:03 PM

It will be cool to implement top armor mechanic, artillery can just take it from there.

Or instead of endless lines of codding and adding million additional values increase the penetration of arty...
10 Mar 2015, 18:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2015, 18:03 PMKatitof

Or instead of endless lines of codding and adding million additional values increase the penetration of arty...
penetration for all the big howitzers is set at 1000. There is absolutely nothing they can't pen. Changing penetration means literally nothing for them.

The problem is low damage, high scatter, slow rof, and long cooldowns that means that they wont hit anything, and if they do it's not that significant.
10 Mar 2015, 19:01 PM

the priest is pretty gnarly.
artillery works well on things like elefants, jagdtigers et. all, aka, stuff that doesn't move all that well, if you can actually hit a panther with a howitzer, i bet it wouldn't do too too bad, but the armor in this game is just so mobile, it's not really gonna happen.

i'll add, i'm pretty sure i can recall a pathfinder arty strike immobilizing an elefant once which was pretty awesome, but i can't confirm that.

once upon a time i think it was written somewhere that mortars were counters to light vehicles...
i've run into GrW84's that make my HT think so sometimes.

i remember in close combat artillery could RNG open topped vehicles, that was goofy.

i don't think people want it back, but shells tracking vehicles/hindering mobility i suppose could be a thing.
10 Mar 2015, 19:02 PM

penetration for all the big howitzers is set at 1000. There is absolutely nothing they can't pen. Changing penetration means literally nothing for them.

The problem is low damage, high scatter, slow rof, and long cooldowns that means that they wont hit anything, and if they do it's not that significant.

Cool, except its not.

It was changed long time ago already.

Lowered by up to 80%.
10 Mar 2015, 19:27 PM

On change that could really help arty vs tank is to give them a high chance to immobilize heavy tank by knocking out its tracks. In truth, If relic really wanted to nerf heavy tank without changing their stats all they would have to do is make AT nads or Pfus instead of damaging engs they instead immobilize tanks.
Tank hunting one o one a tank that can move is a dead tank.
10 Mar 2015, 19:33 PM

ML20 is actually ok against tanks, but it doesnt have that one shotting ability that the B4 has.

Arty shells immobilizing tanks would be gamebreaking. Id rather see arty shells stun tanks.
10 Mar 2015, 19:35 PM

I like idea of crits from howitzer's shells instead of a damage increase.

% for each crits like shock, engine damage, heavy engine damage, immobilize or main gun destroyed or... nothing, just damage but the first shell should get extra % to inflict a crit.

It would force to use combined arms. Crits on tank and flank with T34 or something like that.
10 Mar 2015, 19:42 PM

ML20 is actually ok against tanks, but it doesnt have that one shotting ability that the B4 has.

Arty shells immobilizing tanks would be gamebreaking. Id rather see arty shells stun tanks.

repiar speed on most engs, and american crews are more then enough to save tanks. And while yes ML20 has a skill shot like the b4 it is still a skill shot, that dose not one shot tank (not taking about b4). Give the enemy more then enough time to more or repair a the tank. I agree that it would take some testing but I don't fill it would be game breaking, but it would be META breaking. If you want to keep the meta.
10 Mar 2015, 19:44 PM

repiar speed on most engs, and american crews are more then enough to save tanks. And why yes ML20 has a skill shot like the b4 it is still a skill shot. Give then enemy more then enough time to more or repair a the tank. I agree that it would take some testing but I don't fill it would be game breaking, but it would be META breaking. If you want to keep the meta.

Im pretty sure you would end up frustrated, because your enemy ordered a free arty barrage with his howitzer to immobilize your tank in the middle of a fight. It may sound nice in theory, but not in an actual game.
10 Mar 2015, 19:44 PM

Arty meta would be a fun change for COH2. Yes, Arty shells inducing crit damage sounds menacing and fun in game play verity.
10 Mar 2015, 19:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2015, 19:02 PMKatitof

Cool, except its not.

Lowered by up to 80%.

Name:
le FH 18 10.5cm main gun
File name:
howitzer_105mm_gun_mp.xml
Nation:
ostheer
Potential dps:
Penetration:
1000.0/1000.0/1000.0
Scatter angle:
Scatter distance:
AoE radius:
AoE far:
AoE mid:
AoE near:

Name:
152mm ML-20 HP1
File name:
152mm_m-30_mp.xml
Nation:
soviet
Potential dps:
Penetration:
1000.0/1000.0/1000.0
Scatter angle:
Scatter distance:
AoE radius:
AoE far:
AoE mid:
AoE near:

Name:
203mm B-4 Howitzer
File name:
203mm_b-4_commander_mp.xml
Nation:
soviet
Potential dps:
Penetration:
1000.0/1000.0/1000.0
Scatter angle:
Scatter distance:
AoE radius:
AoE far:
AoE mid:
AoE near:

Name:
M2A1 105mm Howitzer [M7B1 Priest]
File name:
m7b1_priest_m2a1_105mm_mp.xml
Nation:
usa
Potential dps:
Penetration:
1000.0/1000.0/1000.0
Scatter angle:
Scatter distance:
AoE radius:
AoE far:
AoE mid:
AoE near:
10 Mar 2015, 19:52 PM

Im pretty sure you would end up frustrated, because your enemy ordered a free arty barrage with his howitzer to immobilize your tank in the middle of a fight. It may sound nice in theory, but not in an actual game.

No more then a German play paying 35 mun from a PAk 40, STug, or a pak 43 to stun my tanks. Or, a gran or con hitting my tank with at nade or fues when i am trying to flack. At least with the Arty he has to hit me with either a skillshot or straight up luck, rather then just click a button like target weak point or bum rush a tank with inf and click another button.

Arty barrages are not free, you need to pay 600 MP and like 15 Pop cap to get the unit (which cost you more Manpower over time) for a barrage that is very inaccurate and has a long recharge. then on top of that when you do get the skill shot (after vet one) you get one shot that cost ammo and has the same long cooldown. This plus most call ins one shotting the thing, i feel it would be balanced and wouldn't add much to the frustration i feel when playing this game some times :)
10 Mar 2015, 19:54 PM

No more then a German play paying 35 mun from a PAk 40, STug, or a pak 43 to stun my tanks. Or, a gran or con hitting my tank with at nade or fues when i am trying to flack. At least with the Arty he has to hit me with either a skillshot or straight up luck, rather then just click a button like target weak point or bum rush a tank with inf and click another button.

Arty barrages are not free, you need to pay 600 MP and like 15 Pop cap to get the unit (which cost you more Manpower over time) for a barrage that is very inaccurate and has a long recharge. then on top of that when you do get the skill shot (after vet one) you get one shot that cost ammo and has the same long cooldown. This plus most call ins one shotting the thing, i feel it would be balanced and wouldn't add much to the frustration i feel when playing this game some times :)

We arent talking about a temporary stun here, were talking about immobilization. One arty shell and your tank would literally be dead! This would break games!
10 Mar 2015, 19:54 PM

The LeFH is the saddest, if you get a DIRECT HIT you will only do as much damage as if the tank was hit by an AT gun.
10 Mar 2015, 20:12 PM

We arent talking about a temporary stun here, were talking about immobilization. One arty shell and your tank would literally be dead! This would break games!

Like it has been said in the thread, it is hard to hit tanks, and also i am not saying 100% arty hit take and boom it is immobilized, although something should happen to the tank every time it is hit. I this it should be like 60% crew shock, 15% gun destroyed, 15% eng damage, and 10% immobilization.

And no it would not be "One arty shell and your tank would literally be dead!". It would be one luck or skilled arty shot would hit you tank in either you assault or theirs, it would got damaged in any of these ways, and this opened the door for your other units to take it out. Combined arms at its truest form.

This may be wrong, but i think you are to hung up on the idea that units should die like ever. This is not the case and one of the main reason that balanced is such shit right now is because units won't die. Panther, ober, VG, Para, and all heavy tanks are too good at just walking into things doing shit loud of damage and walking away. In order for this game to work units need to die easy to certain things (I.E tanks to at guns), and all factions need to have reliable counters to kill everything efficiently. This change to arty, all arty by the way would open the door to new game play that is not just tanks tanks tanks.
11 Mar 2015, 00:30 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2015, 19:02 PMKatitof

Cool, except its not.

Lowered by up to 80%.
I got that from here and it says it's up to date. Is it wrong?
stats.com/explosive_weapons
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS