Login

russian armor

Toggle function to keep spacing between squads

24 Feb 2015, 17:22 PM

Hello friends !

I'm wandering if it's a good idea to have a toggle function that would the spacing between squads while they move. (Not the squad members)

Example:

I've got 3 rifleman's squads evenly spaced about a squad width between each.

Keep formation toggle on: (Keep formation on)

If i selected them and give them an order to advance/attack, they would advance/attack to the spot i clicked, but keep the same spacing between them they had at the beginning of their movement.

Keep formation toggle off: (Keep formation off)

If i selected them and i give them an order to advance/attack, they will advance but they will converge on the spot i clicked.

What do you think ?

Thanks.

24 Feb 2015, 17:24 PM
Coder Red Badge

When microing three units is too hard...
24 Feb 2015, 17:24 PM

Wouldn't this make the game less CoH-y and more... I don't know, but you can get the same result just by using proper micro
24 Feb 2015, 17:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Feb 2015, 17:24 PMInverse
When microing three units is too hard...

It would work on more then 3 units...

Ex: It's would be nice to keep the tanks in front with rifleman on the back.

Common, why this attitude ? You're better then that.

Thanks anyway.
24 Feb 2015, 17:33 PM
Coder Red Badge

99% of what separates players in CoH2 is unit control. If you can't handle the very few units you have to control simultaneously in a game of CoH, you might want to try improving your multitasking and APM. CoH2 is very simple to play mechanically, no sense making it any easier.
24 Feb 2015, 17:35 PM

Surely this will make it easier for the blobers to win, even less to think about when running at an HMG.... just click this "formation button" and walk at MGS and some of the squads will not be shot at. Where as currently they would have to micro and walk each squad seperatly, or risk being pinned....
24 Feb 2015, 17:40 PM

I had this idea while watching to players in 4vs4.

To often i saw multiple squads wiped while they were moving from a single shot.

I would like to have more comments from more experienced COH2 player if possible...

Thanks
24 Feb 2015, 17:44 PM
Coder Red Badge

Then practice better micro? Every move command you issue costs two actions, a select action and a move command action. With proper boxing and mouse control, you should be able to easily move three squads in under a second.

You're asking for a handicap because you can't properly micro your squads. I suggest you make a conscious effort to improve your APM and multitasking instead of asking the game to make up for your deficiencies as a player.
24 Feb 2015, 17:46 PM

Would just help with blobbing your units forward with one click without incurring the intended penalty of having your units be more vulnerable to AOE. Would be hard to code to act naturally whenever there is not enough space to fit the squads through in the "formation".

I wouldn't want to see this.
24 Feb 2015, 17:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Feb 2015, 17:33 PMInverse
99% of what separates players in CoH2 is unit control. If you can't handle the very few units you have to control simultaneously in a game of CoH, you might want to try improving your multitasking and APM. CoH2 is very simple to play mechanically, no sense making it any easier.

It's just a simple suggestion, no need to be rash or impolite here. Is it because my main language is french ?

Do i detect an ego problem ? I had one when i was you age....

You know there is a simple self pleasuring exercise that you could do in the morning to alleviate much of your accumulated frustration...

Thanks anyway.

P.S. (Why bother with my posts, if you think i'm shit anyway.)

Long live to COH2, the king of team RTS.
24 Feb 2015, 17:50 PM

It rewards bad play, so no.
24 Feb 2015, 17:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Feb 2015, 17:46 PMCruzz
Would just help with blobbing your units forward with one click without incurring the intended penalty of having your units be more vulnerable to AOE. Would be hard to code to act naturally whenever there is not enough space to fit the squads through in the "formation".

I wouldn't want to see this.

Maybe they would not respect their formation if they can't. (ex : choke point )

That's a better comment.

Thanks !
24 Feb 2015, 17:52 PM
Coder Red Badge

Not sure what you read, but that sounds like a pretty standard suggestion on how to improve to me ;) You'll never get better if you blame the game systems instead of recognizing and improving on your deficiencies as a player. CoH2 is a very simple game mechanically, it's very easy to reach a level of APM where extremely basic unit control problems like the one you're complaining about in this thread are extremely easy to deal with.
24 Feb 2015, 17:55 PM

It rewards bad play, so no.

I'm rather thinking that would help less experienced people getting into the game without removing any tactical or strategical aspects of it.

Thanks for your comments !
24 Feb 2015, 18:01 PM

Permanently Banned
Basically what you're asking for is something that would make blobbing incredibly easy, and it would only encourage the usage of grouped units moved simultaneously together.

When I first read thread title, I thought you were asking for something to toggle individual squad's spacing of it's members/entities, to avoid stupid unit pathing/getting oneshotted.

But no, what you're asking for is a blobber's dream tool. So no thanks.
24 Feb 2015, 18:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Feb 2015, 17:52 PMInverse
Not sure what you read, but that sounds like a pretty standard suggestion on how to improve to me ;) You'll never get better if you blame the game systems instead of recognizing and improving on your deficiencies as a player. CoH2 is a very simple game mechanically, it's very easy to reach a level of APM where extremely basic unit control problems like the one you're complaining about in this thread are extremely easy to deal with.

This is not about me... It's about wipes that randomly happen in too many high ranking matchs i watched.
When a 3 squad's wipe randomly happen, that kill/win the match. Less random = more fun.

Coh2 is not about APM as much as other RTS (it's why i like it). It's rather about making the good decisions and how to implementing them correctly.

Thanks for your comments.
24 Feb 2015, 18:08 PM
Coder Red Badge

So if CoH2 isn't about high APM, then it should be easy to achieve APM high enough to control units properly, yes? Even in CoH, where top players don't care enough about mechanics as they should, I guarantee you that there isn't a single high-level 1v1 player who has a problem with this. Not one. Again, two actions per move command is nothing.

This isn't random at all, it's properly rewarding good play and punishing bad play. Are you not good enough to micro a few units in an extremely simple way? Yes? Well, you're going to lose more often. And if you practice and improve, you're going to lose less often. Problem solved.
24 Feb 2015, 18:10 PM

Basically what you're asking for is something that would make blobbing incredibly easy, and it would only encourage the usage of grouped units moved simultaneously together.

When I first read thread title, I thought you were asking for something to toggle individual squad's spacing of it's members/entities, to avoid stupid unit pathing/getting oneshotted.

But no, what you're asking for is a blobber's dream tool. So no thanks.

Sorry, but i don't see how it would help blobbing ? (I rather see it as deblobbing function )
And you could not hate blobbers more than me. ( it make the game look very bad)

For in squad spacing toggle function, it would be nice and i already propose it. But i had the same kind of comments i did receive for this thread.

Thanks for your thoughts !
24 Feb 2015, 18:14 PM

Permanently Banned

Sorry, but i don't see how it would help blobbing ? (I rather see it as deblobbing function )

It would help blobbing because what currently counters blobs is artillery, area of effect weapons, demo charges, etc. These weapons work best the closer the infantry is together. With the function you suggest, people will be free to move large groups of units simultaneously (which means together, at the same time) while taking minimum risk against anti-blob weapons, due to their better spacing.

So people would still just move all units as one, they just will now be harder to counter with things originally intended to counter them.

Like Inverse said, you can achieve the same result this feature would apply by simply microing better/faster.
24 Feb 2015, 18:15 PM

..When a 3 squad's wipe randomly happen, that kill/win the match...

There must be a reson why these squads where wiped? They wouldn't just die, so what causes them to be killed?
If this was some sort of indirect fire (howitzers/stuka/off map abbilty ect) then I have no problem with this since this is what indirect fire is for (even if the squads are slightly spread out). Also the play should be able to see the smoke or hear the unit firing or see the 1st shell hit and should be able to react to it - therefore any unit lose is bad micro.
If it is some thing like a grenade then that is bad micro by the player.

Possibly explain a bit more about the situation in you'r initial post so people really understand what is going on and where exactly you want to see the change.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★