Login

russian armor

Soviet HMG - Ever worth it?

29 Apr 2013, 14:42 PM

The sight cone on this thing is just so narrow. Does it at least have a longer sight range than it's German counterpart? I always build a Support Weapons Kampaneya for an AT gun and a mortar, but I never bother with the MG.

I find it's better to try and set up a flamer flank on a German MG, kill the crew, and steal it. This doesn't always work though and when it doesn't, I seem to find myself sorely in need of some sort of suppression, but still can't bring myself to spend the MP on the Soviet MG.

30 Apr 2013, 09:33 AM

I only play for Soviets and HMG is my favorite early game unit. Its always up after match as most effective unit, 1500-2000% effectiveness.
I build it as fast as possible. It counters all early game infantry and MG, is effective point capture weapon, just order it to attack and it will suppress everything in its path. Longer range and faster deplay time makes it perfect for offensive purposes.

Now against flamer halftracks and MG emplacements and people in buildings and armor you need other stuff. But against infantry i want no other unit.
Joe
1 May 2013, 16:30 PM

I end up building one if the Germans go infantry heavy. They are handy, but best used offensively. They won't lock down a whole area like an MG42 so you have to use them a little different and always support them with other units.
2 May 2013, 11:26 AM

They certainly aren't as great for holding down lots of territory, but they're still great at chokepoints or if you know where your opponent's infantry is going to come from. They're just as good in buildings as German HMGs, although Soviet HMGs have a quicker pack-up time so you can escape and retreat quicker.

They're really easy to pack-up and re-aim in the midst of battle as well, so the lack of a large fire arc can be somewhat mitigated by good micro.
2 May 2013, 18:37 PM

They certainly aren't as great for holding down lots of territory, but they're still great at chokepoints or if you know where your opponent's infantry is going to come from. They're just as good in buildings as German HMGs, although Soviet HMGs have a quicker pack-up time so you can escape and retreat quicker.

They're really easy to pack-up and re-aim in the midst of battle as well, so the lack of a large fire arc can be somewhat mitigated by good micro.

they are better in the midst of a battle but still they can get decrewd by infantry blobs wich they are supposed to counter before they suppress them even if they dont have to pack up and reaim so imo they need to get a supression buff
2 May 2013, 18:41 PM

they ok early or mid game, but late in the game when grens get vet they completelly suck, late game damage against vet needs to be buffed and they fine
2 May 2013, 20:49 PM

they ok early or mid game, but late in the game when grens get vet they completelly suck, late game damage against vet needs to be buffed and they fine

They're not used for damage against infantry, they're used for suppression. Tanks will be out lategame and those do plenty of damage against infantry.
2 May 2013, 21:59 PM

They're not used for damage against infantry, they're used for suppression. Tanks will be out lategame and those do plenty of damage against infantry.

so if i understand it correct its totally fine that vet gren while beeing supressed without cover and maxim shooting at him for the whole duration of the fight is able to kill it just by crawling into it? couse as far as ive noticed maxim NEVER completelly pinned a gren squad even it would shoot for few minutes. and your saying that tanks gonna do enough damage against infantry would mean that after mid game i should just suicide this unit couse it holds absolutelly no value to late game, on top of it i will free my suply and i cant build tanks that actually do something, why not just add "delete unit" button couse acording to your logic theres stronger units late game and its totally fine that its useless after grens get vet
2 May 2013, 22:26 PM

so if i understand it correct its totally fine that vet gren while beeing supressed without cover and maxim shooting at him for the whole duration of the fight is able to kill it just by crawling into it? couse as far as ive noticed maxim NEVER completelly pinned a gren squad even it would shoot for few minutes. and your saying that tanks gonna do enough damage against infantry would mean that after mid game i should just suicide this unit couse it holds absolutelly no value to late game, on top of it i will free my suply and i cant build tanks that actually do something, why not just add "delete unit" button couse acording to your logic theres stronger units late game and its totally fine that its useless after grens get vet

I didn't say they were useless. MGs are extremely powerful lategame for their suppression potential. It also may have been a bug if units were never pinned, because I've always pinned units at close range. An MG is going to beat a single Gren squad if its suppressed, if the Grens don't use Rifle Grenade or have a way of breaking suppression.

Suppression is incredibly important for keeping tanks alive lategame and holding territory, since an MG in a building (such as by the right VP on Moscow) can completely deny any capping potential. They shouldn't be relied on for damage, however. Suppressed units are easier to hit with tank shots or grenades and forces the units to stay relatively still, allowing you to move up infantry into close range (Conscripts, Shock Troops, Flame Engineers) and take them out easily without many casualties.

HMGs are support units, not units that can take on the world by themselves. The MG42 is better than the Maxim in terms of damage output and suppression, but the Maxim can still fulfill its role as a support anti-infantry unit (not for its damage, but for reducing infantry damage and mobility).
8 May 2013, 10:45 AM

I've heard a 120mm (110?) mortar and a maxim work really well together.
13 May 2013, 09:12 AM

Permanently Banned
I tried to avoid fielding MGs and Maxims. They are so very vulnerable to vehicles, mortars, snipers and flanking flame and grenade effects.

If I field one, I keep it well back to provide a fall back position for my infantry to regroup infront of, should I face a sudden infantry surge.

The suppression takes a long time to set in, the damage is quite poor, and especially Soviets have a variety of infantry based counters to either flank the MG with Oorah for example, or pretty much completely mitigate its damage and suppression affect if they use Hit The Dirt in time.

Though buildings are less of a deathtrap now, they still make the unit easily locatable, avoidable and deliberately counterable unless you keep them in constant redeployment after everytime the enemy knows where they are (which Insuppose is critical to their effective use anyways.)
14 May 2013, 19:30 PM

Nullist, ever tried useing them at a choke point?
15 May 2013, 11:24 AM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post14 May 2013, 19:30 PMCrells
Nullist, ever tried useing them at a choke point?

Yes, of course.

Why do you ask?
15 May 2013, 14:52 PM

for me the main reason i only took the soviet HMG was to cover chokes, its narrow fire makes it just to easy to flank, but it does a good job in choke points.

If you want anything else from a HMG i suggest thievery
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 54
Korea, Republic Of 16
South Africa 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %