Login

russian armor

Require help as US fighting German tanks.

9 Jan 2015, 07:09 AM

Hi,

I always seem to do well in all game modes (1v1, 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4) as the US early game until around 300-250 capture points when the german side has a lot of tanks. I build a lot of at and tanks but always seem to get destroyed by swarms of grenadiers with panzerschreck or German tanks and then the game is literally unwinnable 9/10 games.
Could anyone suggest some tips for disabling and destroying german tanks or swarms of grenadiers?

Cheers
9 Jan 2015, 19:08 PM
Honorary Member Badge

P47 Strike
9 Jan 2015, 19:37 PM

Welcome to the forum btw... I am sure some experts will chime in...

First of all. 3v3 4v4s. After the game reaches a certain length you have lost, just pack it up and call it gg. This game is not really balanced well for 3s and 4s.

1v1 and 2v2 you have many options. Spam tank destroyers, Easy8s, P47 Strikes. Late game for US usually becomes a spam fest unfortunately.

Using Scotts and Bulldozer Sherman/Shermans with HE rounds will wreck all inf. Just keep your distance.

You could also try to micro a scout car to lay mines (which are best mines in the game) early on.

Personally they usually give up before late game ever happens, and those whom refuse shall be laid to waste by my spam fest. :)
9 Jan 2015, 23:45 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Game isnt "lost" past a certain point in those modes. You just need good teammates. Ive won much more teamgames in the lategame than i have early on.

As USF just poop out M20 mines whenever you can. DO NOT spam jacksons you will simply get shrek blobbed and Pak'd to death unless the guy is an idiot.

You need to focus on killing as many squads and support weapons as you can early on with your shermans. No matter how hard it may seem,german tanks are NOTHING without their infantry support.

Kill the infantry and everything will fall into place. let him keep his support alive? and you're as good as done unless you get lucky.

Also try to have 2 shermans for every jackson. Dont spam jacksons. i cannot emphasize that enough.
Do Not spam the easy 8.
I honestly wouldnt recommend the easy 8 at all really. its just too expensive now,and isnt as much as a versatile workhorse as the normal sherman.

DO NOT underestimate AP rounds on normal sherman. They can buttrape the rear armor of anything except Tigers,and are MUCH cheaper than easy 8s. 35 more fuel per tank starts to add up over the course of a long game.

Bait tanks like OKW panthers(which usually come out at the same time as your 2 shermans) over M20 mines to protect your shermans from it. then get a Jackson and outnumber the panther.

One more thing, try to keep your armor alive by not overextending,when you dont have to.

however,When you smell blood, go in for the kill. I cant really explain that to you, its just something you learn and feel from playing USF over time.

If a guy full retreats his entire blob of inf, CHASE him to his base with a sherman,switch to HE rounds and wipe them all,even if it means losing the tank. Sure youll be down a tank,but he wont have infantry anymore. and thats SO important.
10 Jan 2015, 03:46 AM

Game isnt "lost" past a certain point in those modes. You just need good teammates. Ive won much more teamgames in the lategame than i have early on.

As USF just poop out M20 mines whenever you can. DO NOT spam jacksons you will simply get shrek blobbed and Pak'd to death unless the guy is an idiot.

You need to focus on killing as many squads and support weapons as you can early on with your shermans. No matter how hard it may seem,german tanks are NOTHING without their infantry support.

Kill the infantry and everything will fall into place. let him keep his support alive? and you're as good as done unless you get lucky.

Also try to have 2 shermans for every jackson. Dont spam jacksons. i cannot emphasize that enough.
Do Not spam the easy 8.
I honestly wouldnt recommend the easy 8 at all really. its just too expensive now,and isnt as much as a versatile workhorse as the normal sherman.

DO NOT underestimate AP rounds on normal sherman. They can buttrape the rear armor of anything except Tigers,and are MUCH cheaper than easy 8s. 35 more fuel per tank starts to add up over the course of a long game.

Bait tanks like OKW panthers(which usually come out at the same time as your 2 shermans) over M20 mines to protect your shermans from it. then get a Jackson and outnumber the panther.

One more thing, try to keep your armor alive by not overextending,when you dont have to.

however,When you smell blood, go in for the kill. I cant really explain that to you, its just something you learn and feel from playing USF over time.

If a guy full retreats his entire blob of inf, CHASE him to his base with a sherman,switch to HE rounds and wipe them all,even if it means losing the tank. Sure youll be down a tank,but he wont have infantry anymore. and thats SO important.

Wow, I know I don't have the stats like you do but everything you said in this post is completely accurate.

Although one thing I don't do, and I have been reluctant to do is buy the M20 Utility. I just don't have the knack of putting mines in good spots they usually just go in places that get virtually untouched all game, not to mention the utility costs too much imo. The Kubel costs a fraction of the fuel and suppresses.. Just don't personally see the use of it besides mines and the crew maybe. Would you still recommend this?

Also, I usually go Flak Halftrack after LT, I like to use it like the Panzer Elite Armored cars from CoH1 and just harass and keep my distance + Suppressing. To get enemy to flea real quick and cap more points, and to make them buy Panzershrecks and invest in an Racketen instead of more inf.

And to add on to what you said, Easy Eight is NOT worth it. The rifle doc is almost useless besides the flame throwers. Even then they're a liability when the fuel tank explodes. Airborne with Para + LMG and P-47 is basically the best route for team games. If you have 2 rocket strikes going and an enemy tank rush it's done. Not to mention if you have a Jackson firing at the tanks being swarmed it can help BIG time.

Good response.

10 Jan 2015, 05:38 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jan 2015, 03:46 AMWazzu15

Wow, I know I don't have the stats like you do but everything you said in this post is completely accurate.

Although one thing I don't do, and I have been reluctant to do is buy the M20 Utility. I just don't have the knack of putting mines in good spots they usually just go in places that get virtually untouched all game, not to mention the utility costs too much imo. The Kubel costs a fraction of the fuel and suppresses.. Just don't personally see the use of it besides mines and the crew maybe. Would you still recommend this?

Also, I usually go Flak Halftrack after LT, I like to use it like the Panzer Elite Armored cars from CoH1 and just harass and keep my distance + Suppressing. To get enemy to flea real quick and cap more points, and to make them buy Panzershrecks and invest in an Racketen instead of more inf.

And to add on to what you said, Easy Eight is NOT worth it. The rifle doc is almost useless besides the flame throwers. Even then they're a liability when the fuel tank explodes. Airborne with Para + LMG and P-47 is basically the best route for team games. If you have 2 rocket strikes going and an enemy tank rush it's done. Not to mention if you have a Jackson firing at the tanks being swarmed it can help BIG time.

Good response.

I too was reluctant to use the M20 mines,until i won a couple games against players i wouldve LOST against had i not had an immobilizing high damage mine in the right spot at the right time to turn the tide.

Put them on crossroads and or in areas where you think units like the Puma or Panther will chase you to. Reverse over the mine when the tank chases your M20/sherman. even if they never hit the mine its still there as a safety net. Use the Mines like a Goalie in soccer,or a linemen in football....Its just there to allow your tanks to retreat safely without fear of being chased..(USE THE SMOKE SCREENS!) Theres never really a bad time to get the M20 and its mines,use it well and it will reward you EVERY time.

Dont use it in direct combat on the front lines unless the enemy has no at whatsoever(like a bunch of sturmpioneres, or a bunch of assault grens). use it to deter harrassing squads and MG's during a flank manuever...,and if a 222 comes,just pop the crew out and replace with Rear echelon. I do this all the time as soon as the M20 hits the field nowadays for the free zooka.

Dont forget the armor upgrade. it pays for itself.

I would ONLY skip M20 for the AA halftrack to counter to the okw FlakHalftrack when it is causing you a ton of trouble. any other time AA HT is just overkill and delays your major,and therefore your shermans significantly.

The only other time i would get the AA halftrack is against Ostheer heavy Tier 1 start(5-7 units form Tier 1)....and from there i would get a captain and AT gun/pak howie to counter the Stug E from mechanized assault or early panzer 4
10 Jan 2015, 05:40 AM

Thanks for the tips guys.
9 Feb 2015, 19:21 PM

Cookie,

What's your general BO for this M20 to Sherman build? I find myself expending too much fuel (nade/BAR) trying to fend off/recapture points from OKW blobs in order to get fuel for Sherman. By the time I get gas, I'm AT-less when a Ost/Luchs come out.

3 Rifle, LT, M20, Save for Major then Sherman? Seems lean to hold the map...so...askin! :)
9 Feb 2015, 22:49 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Against OST,you go Airborne, so 3 Rifles,LT,M20,Ambu,M1919 Paras,M1919 Para,(AT GUN Drop if needed) Major Sherman Sherman Jackson Then use mines,P47s,Etc

Against OKW,i wouldnt really do M20 build,its too common,and OKW knows to just rush luchs and prepare AT, unless youre really good/confident

Infantry Company is nice. This allows you to counter the Blobs with M1919's,and still have excess manpower for other things.

Start with 4 Rifles. This will give you great offensive power,very Meaty gritty start. Perfect for OKW.

Next get an ambulance to heal your rifles.

If he goes MG34 doc and you struggle with MG's,get Grenade Upgrade before ambulance.
From here,you will probably have to deal with a flak HT so go Captain.(Puma/Luchs is useless against this build,and if you use M1919's properly you should contain med truck)

Then go for 1 AT gun,(2 if you're insecure or a big map)1-2 fuel caches,and then Major (USE SUPERVISE ON CAPTAIN!!!) to Jackson,which will be more than enough AT for whatever he can send at you.

IF you do this properly you should handle his infantry with your superior equipped and numerous infantry.
When the panther comes you should have at least one jackson,and a second one on the way. you can then go for a priest at 9 CP and start hunting HQ Trucks,forward positions,etc etc. Dont use Time on Target on anything but HQ's you want to finish off quickly.

10 Feb 2015, 06:40 AM
Senior Editor Badge

The only mine better than an M20 mine is a Riegel mine. They both do the same but Riegel is cheaper.
I have literally won 1v1 games because a vehicle it an M20 mine.
Against OKW, with Airborne m1919s or Infantry m1919s, their infantry will be torn up; if you play it right, you'll have enough dps and vet to fend off the first obersoldaten squads.

P47s are great against tanks; so are Jacksons. I often find that my 1v1 games are over before I need a mix of Jacksons and Shermans, but I usually end up getting a Jackson as my first T4 unit because I have no AT.
I don't need Shermans because I have double and triple vet rifle squads with one or two m1919s.

Destroying a tank as USF is one of the most micro-intensive things you can do. AT rifle nades, captain zooks (if applicable), a 57mm, and a Jackson are a good mix. It honestly just comes down to micro and preparing for that AT.

There are some 1v1s where I have 2 Jacksons and a 57mm, or three Jacksons and M8 Scott... it really depends.
You can even go recon doctrine, get an M8 Greyhound (or two), an extra munition cache (for more Kraut confetti), and find a way to put some AT in there... Or you can just win the game before you need any serious AT :)

20 Feb 2015, 16:18 PM
20 Feb 2015, 16:34 PM

Does the bulldozer sherman have any advantage over the standard sherman when it comes to tank battles?
20 Feb 2015, 18:42 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Does the bulldozer sherman have any advantage over the standard sherman when it comes to tank battles?

The bulldozer has 80 more health than a normal sherman(which means it can take an extra hit from AT weapons) and has more armor, and owns infantry,but cannot engage enemy tanks at all.

So if you take the "Sherman wall with jackson flank/support" route,this sherman is actually better than the normal sherman at that role.
20 Feb 2015, 18:55 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

skitzay, if you want more specific tips you can upload a replay via the replay section and link to it here. Welcome to the site!
21 Feb 2015, 17:33 PM

The bulldozer has 80 more health than a normal sherman(which means it can take an extra hit from AT weapons) and has more armor, and owns infantry,but cannot engage enemy tanks at all.

So if you take the "Sherman wall with jackson flank/support" route,this sherman is actually better than the normal sherman at that role.

I see - I didn't know the numbers
Unfortunately I do not have the Jackson.
21 Feb 2015, 19:33 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I see - I didn't know the numbers
Unfortunately I do not have the Jackson.

Why? what do you mean? you can still go Major +Jackson,just dont build a Normal sherman,wait a bit longer and build a dozer instead
23 Feb 2015, 12:03 PM

I usually resort to zook blobs + AT nades and an AT gun thrown in (preferably captured). Jacksons are quite unreliable IMHO and lack the infantry killing potential. I don't really have ~200 ammo lying around for skillplanes.
23 Feb 2015, 19:08 PM

Just experienced the power of it last night: P47!

Man, did they get mad when their KT2 and Tiger Ace got knocked out in succession by P47 strike and zook'ed rifles.

It seems the airborne commander have at least two things going for it after all...
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★