Login

russian armor

Drop/Crash hack?

3 Jan 2015, 21:36 PM

I'm not familiar with state of drop/crash hacking in CoH2. But I just played a game where we managed to turn a losing at end with 50vp. Suddenly my friend tells me his game crashed, 60 seconds later my game cashes. Seems highly suspicious to me, so I'll go check the players profile, surprise one of them has his profile private and has VAC bans on record. I wanted to report the replay, but there's no replay since the game crashed. So is this kind of drop/crash hack possible?
3 Jan 2015, 22:07 PM

Probaly the battleservers (in New York, I believe) had some problems. Drophacking is not possible since the battleservers started. As far as I know, drophacking only works in a peer-to-peer system and CoH2 is not peer-to-peer.

It could have been the server, but hacks are unrealistic.
3 Jan 2015, 22:19 PM
Coder Red Badge

Could be a bad command being sent from a player, either intentionally or accidentally, or a bug in the server code that ends up sending bad data to clients. Both would explain the lack of a saved replay, since a bad command like that could very well corrupt the replay file.

Honestly, there are a million possible explanations for something like that. It could be a hack, but it's not very likely; probably a bug in the server code or memory corruption of some sort, which would explain why you two didn't crash at the same time. If it was someone exploiting the server or somehow sending corrupted messages, it stands to reason that the two of you would have crashed at nearly the same time because you would have received the faulty messages at nearly the same time. Of course, it could be someone who's figured out how to consistently reproduce a crash bug through some sort of combination of in-game events, but that seems like a stretch to me.

Another possible explanation is some sort of bug in the game client code that happens to show up under a very specific set of circumstances that you guys happened to create. Since every player is, in theory, running identical copies of the game state, it makes sense that a situation that causes a crash on one machine will likely cause a crash on all the others. Again, it would likely be memory corruption of some sort since the crashes did not occur simultaneously.
3 Jan 2015, 22:20 PM

Probaly the battleservers (in New York, I believe) had some problems. Drophacking is not possible since the battleservers started. As far as I know, drophacking only works in a peer-to-peer system and CoH2 is not peer-to-peer.

It could have been the server, but hacks are unrealistic.

i feel like most of these complaints are actually on sync-hacking. people jsut call it drop hacking because the parties drop after the game. It is choice of words, but same result : frustration
3 Jan 2015, 22:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jan 2015, 21:36 PMShang
I'm not familiar with state of drop/crash hacking in CoH2. But I just played a game where we managed to turn a losing at end with 50vp. Suddenly my friend tells me his game crashed, 60 seconds later my game cashes. Seems highly suspicious to me, so I'll go check the players profile, surprise one of them has his profile private and has VAC bans on record. I wanted to report the replay, but there's no replay since the game crashed. So is this kind of drop/crash hack possible?

the game crashed, but the replay is saved as the last played game on your repla folder. just make a copy of that and rename it to whatever you want
3 Jan 2015, 22:25 PM
Patrion 14

did you get a sync error message and then loss message and then the match ends/ game crashes and then bug splat?

3 Jan 2015, 22:26 PM

Could be a bad command being sent from a player, either intentionally or accidentally, or a bug in the server code that ends up sending bad data to clients. Both would explain the lack of a saved replay, since a bad command like that could very well corrupt the replay file.

Honestly, there are a million possible explanations for something like that. It could be a hack, but it's not very likely; probably a bug in the server code or memory corruption of some sort, which would explain why you two didn't crash at the same time. If it was someone exploiting the server or somehow sending corrupted messages, it stands to reason that the two of you would have crashed at nearly the same time because you would have received the faulty messages at nearly the same time. Of course, it could be someone who's figured out how to consistently reproduce a crash bug through some sort of combination of in-game events, but that seems like a stretch to me.

Another possible explanation is some sort of bug in the game client code that happens to show up under a very specific set of circumstances that you guys happened to create. Since every player is, in theory, running identical copies of the game state, it makes sense that a situation that causes a crash on one machine will likely cause a crash on all the others. Again, it would likely be memory corruption of some sort since the crashes did not occur simultaneously.

heard from buddy it involves deleting game files during the game, which causes the servers to have sync errors. have no tested though. This is why these sync-errors never happen at the beginning of the game, only when one team is losing or about to lose
3 Jan 2015, 22:29 PM
Coder Red Badge

Except this has nothing to do with sync errors, it has to do with multiple clients crashing in a short period of time.
3 Jan 2015, 22:30 PM

Except this has nothing to do with sync errors, it has to do with multiple clients crashing in a short period of time.

multiple people crash at same time during sync errors
3 Jan 2015, 22:37 PM
Patrion 28

I get a crash every 10 games or so during intense moments. I bet there is a bug in the server or client that screws up something and crashes. I submit every one so hopefully Relic can get some useful info from it.
3 Jan 2015, 22:42 PM

did you get a sync error message and then loss message and then the match ends/ game crashes and then bug splat?

My game froze for few secs then shut down, I got the report form with bug splat about reporting the bug-crash.

The suspicious thing is that, only our team crashed...
3 Jan 2015, 23:08 PM
Coder Red Badge

If it was matchmaking, how do you know it was only your team that crashed?
3 Jan 2015, 23:12 PM

If it was matchmaking, how do you know it was only your team that crashed?

Because enemy won and we lost?
3 Jan 2015, 23:49 PM
Patrion 14

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jan 2015, 22:42 PMShang

My game froze for few secs then shut down, I got the report form with bug splat about reporting the bug-crash.

The suspicious thing is that, only our team crashed...

then i am not sure. if you got the sync error message, i'd say its a sync error exploit, but that isn't really cheat and does not benefit anybody or probably harm the frequent user more. also, if it was sync error, all of yous would have crashed.

just keep the player info of the enemy team via steam player list and see if they do the same thing next time.
4 Jan 2015, 00:12 AM
Coder Red Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jan 2015, 23:12 PMShang

Because enemy won and we lost?

Doesn't mean anything. If everyone crashes, the game uses the trust system to determine the winner. If you have a higher trust rating than your opponent, you'll get the win; if you don't, you won't.
4 Jan 2015, 00:16 AM

Anything strange in the warnings.log file? (documents/my games/company of heroes 2).

Although, I'm guessing you've started the game up since then.
4 Jan 2015, 00:39 AM

Doesn't mean anything. If everyone crashes, the game uses the trust system to determine the winner. If you have a higher trust rating than your opponent, you'll get the win; if you don't, you won't.

not neccessarily true. i hardly leave games and get defeats every time it occurs. teammates also get the defeat as well.
4 Jan 2015, 00:56 AM
Coder Red Badge

It's actually entirely true. The stated result of the game gives absolutely zero information about what happened to other players when the crash/disconnect occurred, and when the server is unable to assign a win it arbitrates using the trust system. That is 100% of the information I gave in the post you quoted, and it's 100% accurate.

The only thing that gives any information is disputes. If you get a dispute, it means the server was unable to attribute the win to a team within its programmed ruleset. This means if a crash or disconnect occurred, it occurred for everyone; if it didn't occur for everyone, the server would assign the win to the team still connected, and an arbitrated dispute would be unnecessary.

Instigating a server or mass-client crash in a game like CoH2, while extremely unlikely and undoubtedly extremely difficult, is possible in theory. Instigating crashes only on select clients in a game where every client is running identical copies of the game code, however, is for all intents and purposes impossible.
4 Jan 2015, 01:02 AM

It's actually entirely true. The stated result of the game gives absolutely zero information about what happened to other players when the crash/disconnect occurred, and when the server is unable to assign a win it arbitrates using the trust system. That is 100% of the information I gave in the post you quoted, and it's 100% accurate.

The only thing that gives any information is disputes. If you get a dispute, it means the server was unable to attribute the win to a team within its programmed ruleset. This means if a crash or disconnect occurred, it occurred for everyone; if it didn't occur for everyone, the server would assign the win to the team still connected, and an arbitrated dispute would be unnecessary.

Instigating a server or mass-client crash in a game like CoH2, while extremely unlikely and undoubtedly extremely difficult, is possible in theory. Instigating crashes only on select clients in a game where every client is running identical copies of the game code, however, is for all intents and purposes impossible.

fair enough on the disputes, but i always paly arranged team, and my teammates say hey get losses as well.
4 Jan 2015, 01:04 AM
Coder Red Badge

Wait, you think they'd give a win to one member of an arranged team and a loss to another?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★