Login

russian armor

Experiences with Jagdpanzer IV

19 Dec 2014, 13:31 PM

Hello Guys!

so I've been testing a lot of this awesome tankhunter. So first what i've noticed,this tank is hard to penetrate with shermans,t-34's,su-85 and also jacksons shot 1 of 3 got bounced. against su-85 its like 70-30% that jagdpanzer would lose in 1v1 with su-85. I had 7 1v1 against su-85 tank,and only 1 time su-85 won that fight. Against infantry this tankhunter suck,as you can guess ;)
I play with it only with a heavy tank in front!!! like KT or maybe a panther. I use to make jagdpanzer my first tank unit,and i play it as a mobile AT gun. But maaaaaaan,when this tank gets vet 3,its unstoppable!! almost every shot fired at him,bounces )) of cource if the shots penetrate,it need 2-3 shoot to die. Last game I made 2 jagdpanzer in 4v4 game,annihilated 4 shermans and 2 IS-2 :))
So tell me plz,how you ppl use this tank,or dont use and why?
19 Dec 2014, 19:21 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

definelty my favourite TD
I usually get it when facing jacksons or IS2s but when I dont need I save up for a panther.
Why? Because the JP4 is purely a defensive unit adn has no AI at all. the panther can scare of infantry after a while and flank tanks with blitz
20 Dec 2014, 20:53 PM

I feel its bad choice in 1v1 i have lost perhaps all games when i went for it, i dont know how to use it in 1v1 do you plant mines near its flanks?

why go JP when you can wait 2 minute more and get panther?

23 Dec 2014, 17:18 PM

I personally find them situational. Like someone said, you might as well wait another minute or two and get the panther.

One thing I will say is a lot of coh2 is what fits your play style. The worst thing you can do is copy someones build order or try to replicate their tactics. Use it only as a reference point. You need to adapt and overcome. I think if building JPs works for you, then do it! My buddy masses SU76s and I just dont see it, but he dominates all life with them. Like I said, its what works for you.

GL HF!
23 Dec 2014, 17:29 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

I forgot I had a pretty good replay where the JP4 just wrecks the allied tanks, hope you enjoy!
31 Dec 2014, 17:40 PM

I ussualy get the JP IV about late early game.If you get it on vet 1 or 2 it's armor will really become much better.At vet 2 it gets armor shields and encreased accuracy.I think you should either get 1 and be very very careful with it.Spaming is the best tactic with JP.
;)
31 Dec 2014, 17:55 PM

Hello Guys!

so I've been testing a lot of this awesome tankhunter. So first what i've noticed,this tank is hard to penetrate with shermans,t-34's,su-85 and also jacksons shot 1 of 3 got bounced. against su-85 its like 70-30% that jagdpanzer would lose in 1v1 with su-85. I had 7 1v1 against su-85 tank,and only 1 time su-85 won that fight. Against infantry this tankhunter suck,as you can guess ;)
I play with it only with a heavy tank in front!!! like KT or maybe a panther. I use to make jagdpanzer my first tank unit,and i play it as a mobile AT gun. But maaaaaaan,when this tank gets vet 3,its unstoppable!! almost every shot fired at him,bounces )) of cource if the shots penetrate,it need 2-3 shoot to die. Last game I made 2 jagdpanzer in 4v4 game,annihilated 4 shermans and 2 IS-2 :))

Jagdpanzer suffers from a similar problem with many units in this game, It is overshadowed heavily by something more cost effective and or universal. You have to change your unit comp slightly to have a Jagd P4 because it is a mobile AT gun on steroids and just as cumbersome. The reason you dont see them much is because shreck blobs are more effective and with that you can skip the med truck and go strait into the Flack truck. Its arguably the only useful unit in the med truck but Healing and forward retreat point is pretty well worth it.

As for your issues with penetrating Shermans, jacksons, and SU-85s you must just have terrible RNG. It destroys anything that isnt a kiting Jackson or heavy tank (exceptions being KV2, KV1, and KV8, you'll beat these every time).

Vet3 on just like other OKW units it becomes almost laughably powerful
1 Jan 2015, 13:08 PM

You can keep JP sort of behind your lines, advance with a squad loor in his jackson or is2 or other heavy tank and your JP will pull of a really good hit.B-)
3 Jan 2015, 16:46 PM

You must support it with shrecked up volks grens and panzer fuzeliers or falscham jegars particularly in 1v1s and 2v2s.
3 Jan 2015, 20:45 PM

I take JP sometime but need good micro and infantry to support it
4 Jan 2015, 17:26 PM

The great strength about the jp4 over the panther is how fast it can come out. It can come out before any other medium armor arrives.
5 Jan 2015, 04:48 AM

After watching Sarntini's replay my opinion changed bout JP4s, i used it in 1v1 again this time vs US it did amazingly well vs Jacksons my opp had 2 Jacksons and sherman. i had puma and JP4 and some mines covered with Barbed wire i dint have Flak HQ built as i was waiting for Command panther..

The JP4 and Jacksons have same range so earlier if Jacksons Fired on Panther from range i had to close the distance to respond but with JP4 you can take Jackson hits and return fire immediately.

Jacksons cant pen JP4 most times at range. i had to get an extra strum pio to keep his Rifle hordes at bay.

I will get this unit instead of panther if i see early jacksons or more jacksons than sherman in 1v1s from now on.
--------------------
Update: Checked out the stats and i see that Jacksons at max range has pen value of 160 and JP4 has 240 armor. and JP4 has max range pen value of 170 and Jacksons armor is 130 and both of them have 60 range.

(Pen chance = Pen value/armor)

So JP4 will always penetrate M36s at max range and M36s will struggle to pen at long range.
5 Jan 2015, 05:15 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Donator 22

jp4 will penetrate all allied nondoc armor at any range ;)
not a hard feat to beat but still
5 Jan 2015, 07:21 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

Barton seems to love the jagdpanzer. I've seen him use it a lot as OKW in 1v1s and make very good use of it.

Here's a game I just put on YouTube that shows a lot of jagdpanzer usage:
5 Jan 2015, 08:00 AM

Jzp4 is a great tank. one of the more under-used vehicles of OKW. My only real problem is that it is built from the Battlegroup HQ instead of the Mech HQ (where it should be imo)
5 Jan 2015, 09:37 AM

Barton seems to love the jagdpanzer. I've seen him use it a lot as OKW in 1v1s and make very good use of it.

Here's a game I just put on YouTube that shows a lot of jagdpanzer usage:

<444>3

There's also one replay where i achieved vet 5 Jagdpanzer but i cant find this replay
5 Jan 2015, 10:41 AM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 117

<444>3

There's also one replay where i achieved vet 5 Jagdpanzer but i cant find this replay

<444>3<444>3<444>3 Once Twitch unmutes part of your G2 v. KoreanArmy from the recent tourney, there will be another good example of Jagdpanzer use on YouTube :snfCHVGame:
5 Jan 2015, 11:29 AM

Once it hits Vet 2 and if you also have a Commanther, it's view range is insane, it can see further than it can shoot, great for countering Jacksons!
5 Jan 2015, 11:51 AM
Admin Red  Badge

The Jagdpanzer IV is the nemesis for Shermans/T34s if you support it appropriately (mines, schrecked Volksgrenadiers, fausting unit) and if you do not overextend it. Once the Jagdpanzer IV hits veterancy 1 it can camouflage which offers you more opportunities (strike first ambush). I could pretty effectively destroy other Tank Destroyers like the Jackson with the Jagdpanzer IV too, especially if it was vetted up.

Generally I would combine JPIV with a doctrine that is able to call in units who can faust (Luftwaffe or Breakthrough Doctrine; I prefer Luftwaffe due to the MG34 and Valiant Assault) since you can simply faust rushing or flanking tanks thus making them unable to hunt down your JPIV, furthermore presenting your tank easy targets.
7 Jan 2015, 10:56 AM

JPIV can dual the ISU, IS2s and Jacksons quite well. It's a good counter to heavy tanks, however I think it's better to get a panther first (or KT if it's even possible), and a JPIV to support it.

It can take several hits and reverse quickly for repair. Once it reaches vet 2 it becomes really good.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★