Login

russian armor

WW2: The story of the U-boats

7 Dec 2014, 20:36 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

Silent Hunter 3: orgasm
Silent Hunter 4: the same in the pacific
Silent Hunter 5: some bugs (don't know if fixed now) and complicated controls + über destoyer AI which leads to you end at the first patrol due to 5 mio. destroyers coming at you and you always get insta detected, but good graphics

Thnx :) That was helpful.
8 Dec 2014, 17:21 PM

OOO Random you forgot one of the coolest parts of the Type 21. The fact its power plant was originally designed to run off of a Hydrogen Peroxide chemical reaction to produce steam. Similar to how a modern Nuclear sub operates (long time between refueling). They scraped this in favor of going back to the traditional Diesel/Electric due to manufacturing issues and supply shortages.

8 Dec 2014, 17:26 PM
Patrion 14

Thnx :) That was helpful.

you're better off to buy Silent hunter 4 with the Grey wolves (that's the name I think) DLC pack. It gives you the good graphics and stable build of SH4 combined with the German U-boat campaign of SH3.
8 Dec 2014, 17:31 PM

Anyway, RandomName, definitely a good read. I wanna see the Type VII someday. I'm guessing it's the most common type since you called it the workhorse. Interested to see the one that caused the Allies the most trouble.

Do you plan to branch out into Battleships like the Bismarck next time? Really would love to read about it. :)
8 Dec 2014, 17:38 PM

OOO Random you forgot one of the coolest parts of the Type 21. The fact its power plant was originally designed to run off of a Hydrogen Peroxide chemical reaction to produce steam. Similar to how a modern Nuclear sub operates (long time between refueling). They scraped this in favor of going back to the traditional Diesel/Electric due to manufacturing issues and supply shortages.

Well I just wanted to write about the things realized in the types. Planned was a lot for every submarine :)

Btw, the subs I write about don't have to be german. I also could write about the UK, USA, Italy, UssR, France and Japan.
8 Dec 2014, 17:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post8 Dec 2014, 17:31 PMsteel
We've got the Navy and Army already. Who's doing the Air Force? An opportunity presents itself for me to write something about. :megusta:

Anyway, RandomName, definitely a good read. I wanna see the Type VII someday. I'm guessing it's the most common type since you called it the workhorse. Interested to see the one that caused the Allies the most trouble.

Do you plan to branch out into Battleships like the Bismarck next time? Really would love to read about it. :)

Could be possible. First of all I want to concentrate on the subs since they were more imortant than anything but Bismarck/Tirpitz/Prinz Eugen/ Scharnhorst/Gneisenau/ Admiral Hipper/Admiral Scheer/ Admiral Graf Spee, Lützow,etc. is also an option. :)
8 Dec 2014, 18:31 PM

I would very much like to see one about USF subs. I know little about them compared to German subs.

9 Dec 2014, 16:27 PM

Type XB (1941)

An type XB U-boat in the drydock. source for the picture: www.uboatnet.de

A submarine for operations on high sea with two hulls. This minelayer is a less known type of the german U-boats. The to this related type XA was never build, but you could see this as a mixture of the types IA and IX. These U-boats were often used for the supply transport since it had a huge fuel stock. It had all in all 30 mine shafts distributed over the bow and midship. 8 units were build and they all were lost over the years except U 234, which was captured by U.S. forces and U 219, which was basically a "present" from the Germans to Japan. U 219 was used in the japanese navy under the name I 505 and was handed over to the USA when the war ended.

Data

• crew: 52
  • shipyard: Krupp Germaniawerft, Kiel
  • displacement: 1763 ts surfaced, 2177 ts submerged
  • length: 89,8m
  • width: 9,2m
  • depth: 4,71m
  • maximal depht: 150m
  • fuel: 368 ts
  • fastest submerging: 35 seconds
  • engine: 2 Diesel engines; 2 e-motors
  • engine performance: 4200 ps surfaced, 1100 ps submerged
  • speed: 16,4 knots surfaced, 7 knots submerged
  • range: 18450 sm at 10 knots surfaced, 188 sm at 2 knots submerged
  • armament: 2 X torpedo tubes in the rear (533mm standart caliber); 66 sea mines in 30 shafts and 4 X 20mm flak after 1943 when the 105mm gun was removed

9 Dec 2014, 16:56 PM

Keep going, nice writing ;)
9 Dec 2014, 16:58 PM

shouldnt this be in the "other" section? I mean Coh2 doesnt even have boats...

Why dont you become a teacher or something man, you can make money
9 Dec 2014, 17:02 PM

shouldnt this be in the "other" section? I mean Coh2 doesnt even have boats...

Why dont you become a teacher or something man, you can make money

WutFace of feelings.... haha no why not? I mean there is also a thread for WW2 pics containing units who are not even in the game :P.
28 Feb 2015, 10:07 AM

Type XIV (1941)

The plans of the type XIV

The type XIV (14) U-boat was a seagoing U-Tanker with an origin in the VII class. Its purpose was to supply other submarines with ammunition, fuel and it provided repair crews, food and water. Therefore it had a huge fuel depot and was -except flaks- completely unarmed (no torpedo tubes).
In 1943 the flak armament was increased and a snorkel was added. All type XIV U-boats were sunk in 1943 and 1944 by allied aircraft because they were preferred targets since they made the life of the VII class a lot easier.

Data

• crew: 53
  • shipyard: Deutsche Werke, Kiel
  • displacement: 1688 ts surfaced, 1932 ts submerged
  • length: 67,1m
  • width: 9,35m
  • depth: 6,51m
  • maximal depht: Its a supply submarine, not its purpose and anyway: NA
  • fuel: 203 ts
  • fastest submerging: See max. depht: NA
  • engine: 2 Diesel engines; 2 ssw
  • engine performance: 2800 ps surfaced, 750 ps submerged
  • speed: 14,4 knots surfaced, 6,2 knots submerged
  • range: 12350 sm at 10 knots surfaced, 120 sm at 2 knots submerged
  • armament: 2 X 3,7cm flak; in 1943: 1x 3,7cm, 2 x 2cm twin flak
  • freight: 423 ts fuel, 4 torpedos for supplying other submarines
28 Feb 2015, 11:23 AM

Offtopic, how do you subscribe this thread? :D
28 Feb 2015, 11:54 AM

how accurate is das boot? i love that movie
28 Feb 2015, 12:00 PM

how accurate is das boot? i love that movie

Das Boot is one of the most accurate WW2 submarine movies I have ever seen. :D
1 Mar 2015, 10:40 AM

Type XXIII (1944)

The plans of the type XXIII class

The type XXIII class was a class of coastal submarines with one hull and high underwater speed while having similarities with the type XXI: it also had two pressure bodys which were laying one above the other, with the rear end section as an exception. The upper pressure body contained the living rooms, the motors and the torpedo tubes, the lower one contained the accumulators, fuel cells and the submerging cells. Also, this type was one of the first submarines to have a streamlined hull. While being a coastal submarine, it also could dive very deep: with an maximal depth of 150m it could dive as deep as the type VII, which also happened very fast. The fastest recorded submerging took 9 seconds. However, the batteriest were not very strong, still the type XXIII class could hold its maximal speed underwater for more than one hour. It also had ony light armarment with 2 torpedo tubes in the bow and no reserve torpedos. This type had an experimental character but is still viewed as a successful one since it could fullfill its dutry while being nearly as fast underwater as other U-boats surfaced.

It idea of the streamlined submarine is realized in the type XXIII

The first type XXIII U-boat entered service on 12th June 1944 and until the end of the war, a total of 62 units were build. Many other were still under construction. Unlike the type XXI, this class actually saw combat from march to may 1945. Most of the type XXIII u-boats were sunk by their own crews or handed over to the Allies who used them in their own navies after the war and for researching. In 1956, the West German Navy (Bundesmarine) raised 2 units, U 2365 and U 2367 and kept them in service until 1968.

U Hecht (ex U 2367, now S 171) after the war in the Bundesmarine.

Data

• crew: 14
  • shipyard: Krupp Germaniawerft, Kiel; Deutsche Werft, Hamburg
  • displacement: 232 ts surfaced, 258 ts submerged
  • length: 34,6m
  • width: 4m
  • depth: 3,66m
  • maximal depht: 150m
  • fuel: 18 ts
  • fastest submerging: 9 seconds
  • engine: 1 Diesel engine; 2 AEG e-motors for creeping speed
  • engine performance: 575-630 ps surfaced, 550 + 35 ps submerged
  • speed: 9,7 knots surfaced, 12,5 knots submerged
  • range: 4300 sm at 6 knots surfaced, 175 sm at 4 knots submerged
  • armament: 2x torpedo tubes in the bow, no flak armament
1 Mar 2015, 10:48 AM

Das Boot is one of the most accurate WW2 submarine movies I have ever seen. :D

That seems to imply that you know some other good submarine films, which can you recommend?
1 Mar 2015, 10:58 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Mar 2015, 10:48 AMgokkel

That seems to imply that you know some other good submarine films, which can you recommend?

Sadly, I only know some other "trashy" movies. :( Just good with alcohol, so may I correct myself: the best one I have seen.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★