Login

russian armor

Potential Map Strategies?

23 Apr 2013, 01:07 AM

Currently there are only two 1v1 maps: Kholodny, a small map with few choke points and allows for high mobility; and Pripyat, which a majority of players hate unless they feel like compstomping (choke points and slow river crossing lololol).

What other maps would the players like to have in the game? What styles of gameplay aren't strong on either map that should be considered in the development of extra maps?

I'm trying to think of the feasibility of maps such as Rzhev and Steppes Frontline in 1v1, with a large amount of open space and ways to get around choke points. Would they be fun for the players, or even fun to watch?

Alternatively, how would a 2v2 on a slightly larger Kholodny seem? Too little space, or would it force teammates to work together and make the game more interesting?

And Pripyat, the ugly bastard child of maps. Would less choke points or slight changes to the rivers and VP locations make it a much better map?

I've been thinking about all of these and I would like to know how the community feels! :D
23 Apr 2013, 01:51 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Bring back classics from CoH! Angoville, Semois, and Langres, maybe.
23 Apr 2013, 07:20 AM

Kholodny with equidistant VPs, better resource placement, removal of most heavy snow, no blizzards and no random blind spot in the church facing the center would be decent.

Pripyat is beyond saving for any kind of competitive play to be honest.

All that said, it's tricky to just say import Semois over because if certain mechanics (like nigh-invulnerability while in a building, and random clumps of heavy snow shutting down flanking) remain in place then they wouldn't play fantastically either.
23 Apr 2013, 08:12 AM

I actually think Pripyat has some good ideas and could be made decent. You'd have to:

make the river crossings either creek-sized or remove them
make the central area and its approaches more open (no bridges)
remove the forest just on either shore of the river south of the middle VP (so that there is a beach sort of bit you can use to travel north/south)
make the destroyable bridge that starts destroyed be built at the start.
make the other destroyable bridge wider and invincible
23 Apr 2013, 10:55 AM

Make Pripyat winter map so you can use ice to cross the river.
23 Apr 2013, 14:55 PM
Senior Caster Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2013, 07:20 AMTommy
All that said, it's tricky to just say import Semois over because if certain mechanics (like nigh-invulnerability while in a building, and random clumps of heavy snow shutting down flanking) remain in place then they wouldn't play fantastically either.

Well, you wouldn't want to add snow to it! As for the building thing, we'll have to see how that works. I agree with you that Pripyat is pretty much doomed. Even if they fix the rivers it's still going to be a series of choke points.
23 Apr 2013, 15:34 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

I'll remake Bayeux for coh2, but that will only happen when worldbuilder arrives.
23 Apr 2013, 21:03 PM

Something along the lines of Angoville in snow format could be really cool. A lot of open space with plenty of light cover but very little heavy cover. Some movement restricting hedges and whatnot with few key buildings. Comparing our current maps to Semois and Angoville it feels like you're forced to funnel your troops through chokepoints more than I'd like.

The things I personally hate the most is poor cover design and terrain that poorly communicates whether you can fire through it or not. Pripyat displays these aspects in full and I curse every time I play on it.
30 Apr 2013, 13:33 PM

I think a map that is inspired after langre could have great success .

On specific map strategies , Kholodny is an interesting map in the way that capping order and build order are very important and closely linked to each other . With russians ( starting in the right side ) i would send my engie north for the strat point and the adjacent fuel with the prospect of putting him in the house and the first conscript would go to my southern cutoof and then to my opponts southern cutoff then i would reinforce the most contested side . When strting from the left i would send my engie to go for the southern cutoff and then to my opponents because of the house near it and my first conscript to the northern sectors and then reinforce the most contested side . Eventually tech up to molotovs after 3 or 4 cons . That way i would always have a unit harrasing my opponent while another unit would be close to the contesting points and at the same time i would be benefiting from the buildings , all of which would lead to early map fuel domination as well as a strategical advantage sice my opponent would either have to tech up or keep producing t1 units both of which can be doctrinally and nondoctrinally countered with the biggest casualty of a few cons and some less map control for 1 min or 2 . In most of the cases i ended up with a t34 and a kv8 cleaning up the field .
6 Jun 2013, 20:41 PM

Bring back classics from CoH! Angoville, Semois, and Langres, maybe.

This.
jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2013, 07:20 AMTommy
Kholodny with equidistant VPs, better resource placement, removal of most heavy snow, no blizzards and no random blind spot in the church facing the center would be decent.

Pripyat is beyond saving for any kind of competitive play to be honest.

And this.

Currently the maps are awful. Kholodny is pretty annoying simply because of it being 25% blizzards, killing the dynamics. If it were a summer map, it would be awesome.
Pripyat isn't THAT bad TBH. It's not good enough for competitive play, but it's not blowlands.

I have no idea why relic decided to include maps that would be shot down by any CoH1 veterans. They knew we liked open maps with good dynamics, and that we play 1v1. So they gave us a campy 1v1 map that plays like a scaled down scheldt, and another map that's just annoying to play.
7 Jun 2013, 07:17 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

They knew we liked open maps with good dynamics, and that we play 1v1.

Sadly I think that market research (seeing 80% of coh1 players involved in compstomp matches) drove many design decisions. COH2 has a massive system of single-player and co-op modes (Theater of War, Campaign) with who knows how many maps and missions, and not one single competition quality 1v1 map. No fixed positions and no obs mode are further evidence that the competitive scene has little importance.

We can only cross our fingers and hope that this stuff gets patched in asap post-launch. :(
17 Jun 2013, 19:13 PM

God I love angoville
17 Jun 2013, 19:19 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jun 2013, 19:13 PMTheDGN
God I love angoville

Damn dirty Brit player :P
23 Jun 2013, 16:59 PM

Is it technically possible to import those vCoh maps into coh2 with some lifting ? Langres transposed into summer eastern front would be awesome.
23 Jun 2013, 17:14 PM

If Langres and Semois appear in CoH2, Ostheer has no chance because Maxim spam would autowin
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 44
Germany 30
Germany 262

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak