Login

russian armor

Should I insta-drop against Soviet SNiper spam players?

24 Nov 2014, 05:49 AM

I got nothing. I can beat a lot of soviet/American units/strategies. But I swear 10 out of the last 10 games I faced a sniper spamming Soviet player with his snipers well supported, the game is over before it began. I have to micro super hard to keep my units alive and from being shot by his snipers, he just has to spam the attack move button and move when he sees a rifle grenade heading in his direction.

I mean lets face it, scout cars don't really counter them if they're supported (AT nades/Guards rifles) Halftracks at best keep your units from having to retreat.

I just get so angry when they use that strategy because there is nothing in my arsenal that really deals with snipers. I know I'm the better player, but I can't beat this ONE strategy that Soviet players use. The sniper icon may as well be an "I-WIn button".

This most recent game which keeps the sniper spam win streak alive, I was against snipers supported by conscripts, guards infantry, HM-138 mortars, and an SU85.

I've found that the player on the other end can be mediocre at best in this game, but if he spams snipers and supports them well, whats the point in playing if it's a guaranteed loss?
24 Nov 2014, 09:33 AM

Counter sniping, mortars, ostruppen and flanking.
24 Nov 2014, 10:57 AM
Donator 33

Snipers have 48hp, so you need 3 hits with an rifle to kill them, so maybe get G43´s or ambush camo to lure them in to an ambush, mortars also can score an direct kill ( and keep snipers at bay ) if the RNG favours you, atleast you dont have to fight against sniper M3´s

24 Nov 2014, 17:22 PM

counter-sniping is not very viable as Soviets have two-man Sniper squads, and against multiple snipers you're very likely to get counter-sniped yourself.

G43s and LMGs can be decently deadly to snipers if you can catch them in the open.

Personally, I'd recommend Osttruppen with Halftrack support to minimise the impact the snipers have on your game, because Osttruppen are cheap (so less Manpower bleed), 6-man squads(can stick around longer without risking a squadwipe) and very quick to reinforce.
Furthermore, this gives you more squads to work with, so you'll be better able to avoid his snipers and cap all around the map.
24 Nov 2014, 17:42 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2014, 10:57 AMATCF
Snipers have 48hp, so you need 3 hits with an rifle to kill them, so maybe get G43´s or ambush camo to lure them in to an ambush, mortars also can score an direct kill ( and keep snipers at bay ) if the RNG favours you, atleast you dont have to fight against sniper M3´s

lol another smart guy who never tried to play vs sov sniper abuse.
24 Nov 2014, 17:53 PM

Most straightforward reply, spam grens, cap the map instead of fighting in a meat-grinder and take advantage of your map control to get a relatively quick ostwind/p4.

Sniper strats have to stay compact and thus concede map.

Your mileage may vary by map.
24 Nov 2014, 18:02 PM

Permanently Banned
I got nothing. I can beat a lot of soviet/American units/strategies. But I swear 10 out of the last 10 games I faced a sniper spamming Soviet player with his snipers well supported, the game is over before it began. I have to micro super hard to keep my units alive and from being shot by his snipers, he just has to spam the attack move button and move when he sees a rifle grenade heading in his direction.

I mean lets face it, scout cars don't really counter them if they're supported (AT nades/Guards rifles) Halftracks at best keep your units from having to retreat.

I just get so angry when they use that strategy because there is nothing in my arsenal that really deals with snipers. I know I'm the better player, but I can't beat this ONE strategy that Soviet players use. The sniper icon may as well be an "I-WIn button".

This most recent game which keeps the sniper spam win streak alive, I was against snipers supported by conscripts, guards infantry, HM-138 mortars, and an SU85.

I've found that the player on the other end can be mediocre at best in this game, but if he spams snipers and supports them well, whats the point in playing if it's a guaranteed loss?

Having played vs you multiple times, I can confirm that this is a L2P issue.

http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=946541

Another whine thread this gentlemen with the offensive name has made, complaining about the 120mm. I even played vs you one time in AT, you whined that the 120mm was OP on Crossing in the Woods and my teammate wasn't even using it, it was just the default Soviet mortar.

I played vs you on Moscow Outskirts with another AT partner, and the entire match whined about how wide open it is and vulnerable to being flanked, followed by the 15 min rage quit.

You also claim (with such originality!) that Allies are incredibly boring to play, and that Axis are the truly skillful faction/side. I feel like I've heard it before somewhere.

For you OKW teammate, Volks>Luch>Obers will shred snipers if you can get the better of them and retain the shock value of your Obers/Luch. Stuka also does the trick if you can predict their retreat path or even catch them off guard with your first volley.

I'm not going to act like Soviet Sniper Team are easy to beat but they are currently one of the only things holding the Soviet faction together and probably the most overall effective infantry squad they have, and they are far from unbeatable as it has been done many times in high level games.
24 Nov 2014, 18:26 PM

Yes, you should drop the game ... soviet sniper spam is unbeatable!

MUHHAAA HA HAAA ....
24 Nov 2014, 21:40 PM

open up with 2 engies + 4 grens ...go cap like an insane person. (as Bryan mentioned)

You'll be facing 2 maybe 3 Penals and a sniper early on....Soviet will have zero map control. With 6 squads of infantry it is ez to bullrush or flank the sniper. Use buildings to block line of sight....get a mortar truck...S-mines...LMGs..and/or fast tech to Ostwind.

2x Snipers is a bit of a pain on more open maps, but is very manageable on Semoi or Kholodny. Practice..youll get the hang of dealing with it. I used to have trouble with it too :)
24 Nov 2014, 21:52 PM

It is a very annoying and cheesy strategy and the hardest soviet strat to crack IMO. I guess heavy T1 play (no MGs obviously) with mortars could do the trick.
25 Nov 2014, 01:10 AM
Patrion 14

I find that the best thing to do once you have established that your opponent is sniper spamming is to avoid the enemy ball like the dickens. The very nature of this strat requires the snipers to be balled up with an infantry squad screening. That is 800MP of units stuck together, which should allow you to avoid them quite simply.

Avoiding engagements means that CPs wont increase, and if you can get a scout car before CP2, you can murder the snipers without worrying about guards. Don't buy an mg, and don't buy pgrens, they will just be a drain t your MP.

A mortar halftrack works well as well. An incendiary round will BBQ the snipers.
25 Nov 2014, 05:51 AM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Pgrens + Ambush camouflage + hold fire + patience

It is very rewarding when it works.
28 Nov 2014, 02:07 AM

Which it rarely does and leaves you with no heavyweight AT once the inevitable double 85s roll in.
1 Dec 2014, 13:21 PM
Patrion 14

Which it rarely does and leaves you with no heavyweight AT once the inevitable double 85s roll in.

what do you call paks?

If you go ambush, you should also have your pgrens upped with shrecks by the time IS2 comes out to support your base AT. I can also usually get a panther out by the time the IS2s roll out.
1 Dec 2014, 15:27 PM

I suggest trying out ostruppen doctrine IF you see 2+ sniper squads.

But yeah, it's quite cheesey because OST really has no counter for guards+snipers and lacks rocket artillery until T4.....

Take map control with ostruppen and get medium/heavy armor on the field...
2 Dec 2014, 07:11 AM

what do you call paks?

If you go ambush, you should also have your pgrens upped with shrecks by the time IS2 comes out to support your base AT. I can also usually get a panther out by the time the IS2s roll out.

Paks are the things that get the ubiquitious pair of Sov. Snipers takes two shots to decrew, mind you, we are talking the double sniper build here. Now, even if you were to face IS-2 for instance, Schrecks dont perform too well against it since they have trouble penetrating its frontal armor, (plus its Mg is just murderous) while Paks are susceptible to flame arty. Three things in the Ost arsenal qualify as heavyweight AT: Tigers, Eles, and Panthers. All of them struggle against 85s plus mark target.
The Tiger cannot stand up to the IS-2 one on one, but can contain it with Pak support. The Ele reliably counters the IS-2, while the Panther is about its equal in AT performance, however the tech/opportunity costs make it not really viable in 1s and 2s unless you go Luftwaffe OP....eh supply doctrine. Trying to fight the IS-2 and in fact 85s without one of these components will not get you anywhere, believe me, I've tried. Stugs and PIVs are to the IS-2 (and 85s) what 34/76s or regular Shermans are to Tigers/Panthers...easy pickings.
2 Dec 2014, 08:31 AM
Patrion 14

Paks are the things that get the ubiquitious pair of Sov. Snipers takes two shots to decrew, mind you, we are talking the double sniper build here. Now, even if you were to face IS-2 for instance, Schrecks dont perform too well against it since they have trouble penetrating its frontal armor, (plus its Mg is just murderous) while Paks are susceptible to flame arty. Three things in the Ost arsenal qualify as heavyweight AT: Tigers, Eles, and Panthers. All of them struggle against 85s plus mark target.
The Tiger cannot stand up to the IS-2 one on one, but can contain it with Pak support. The Ele reliably counters the IS-2, while the Panther is about its equal in AT performance, however the tech/opportunity costs make it not really viable in 1s and 2s unless you go Luftwaffe OP....eh supply doctrine. Trying to fight the IS-2 and in fact 85s without one of these components will not get you anywhere, believe me, I've tried. Stugs and PIVs are to the IS-2 (and 85s) what 34/76s or regular Shermans are to Tigers/Panthers...easy pickings.

This is all true, but remember, you also have access to the riegel/ teller mines. T34/85 rely on flanking to deal damage reliably to panthers and tigers. Tellers not only slow them down, they more or less spell certain doom for them when paks are nearby. IS2 is handeled pretty easily with teller + pak, and if he goes IS2, you shouldnt have too much trouble killing the snipers with the 221 early game.
2 Dec 2014, 19:33 PM

i dont understand why people drop a game just because theyre losing. "sniper spam" will always be unbeatable if you rage quit each time someone brings a couple snipers. You have no game experience playing against snipers so of course they seem unbeatable.
2 Dec 2014, 19:42 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

i dont understand why people drop a game just because theyre losing. "sniper spam" will always be unbeatable if you rage quit each time someone brings a couple snipers. You have no game experience playing against snipers so of course they seem unbeatable.

Well said :)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS