Login

russian armor

1v1 Maps

2 Nov 2014, 12:08 PM

Does anyone else think the majority of the maps are pretty average at best? Personally I think the CoH1 maps were far more interesting on the whole.

In the current 1v1 rotation, the only maps I genuinely enjoy are:

-Langres
-Faymonville
-Road To Kharkov
-Semois (both)

There are some 'ok' ones like Minsk Pocket & La Gleize but others like Kholodny (both), Stalingrad and Crossing in The Woods are like pulling teeth.

But overall I don't feel they are as interesting as the best CoH1 maps (besides Langres & Semois obviously) like Angoville, Wrecked Train & Sturzdorf. Other good ones include Beaux Lowlands, Duclair and Flooded Plains.

Complaints:
-Stalingrad, speaks for itself, it's like if Ruins of Rouen had a retarded kid.
-Crossing in the Woods, it's just plain boring and the water at the VPs is just a pain in the ass.
-Kholodny, it's just so uninspiring, the whole hedge thing has been done 1 million times now in CoH and this one doesn't do it well, and the lack of proper open areas just makes it even worse.
-Minsk Pocket, just a camp fest and too narrow, but not awful.
-La Gleize Breakout, possibly the laziest map ever, but I guess it's still fairly interesting so not too bad.
2 Nov 2014, 12:58 PM

Personally I feel Stalingrad should remain in the rotation. My reasoning is that while other maps are heavily predicated toward long range combat (Langres springs to mind here), Stalingrad is not aimed at long range combat. It seems to me this is the sole reason that it is so disliked... I personally welcome such a change as healthy for the game and a tactical challenge rather than the same old long ranged combat we face with rural maps, not that those are bad obviously.
2 Nov 2014, 13:21 PM

Does anyone else think the majority of the maps are pretty average at best? Personally I think the CoH1 maps were far more interesting on the whole.

In the current 1v1 rotation, the only maps I genuinely enjoy are:

-Langres
-Faymonville
-Road To Kharkov
-Semois (both)

There are some 'ok' ones like Minsk Pocket & La Gleize but others like Kholodny (both), Stalingrad and Crossing in The Woods are like pulling teeth.

But overall I don't feel they are as interesting as the best CoH1 maps (besides Langres & Semois obviously) like Angoville, Wrecked Train & Sturzdorf. Other good ones include Beaux Lowlands, Duclair and Flooded Plains.

Complaints:
-Crossing in the Woods, it's just plain boring and the water at the VPs is just a pain in the ass.
-Kholodny, it's just so uninspiring, the whole hedge thing has been done 1 million times now in CoH and this one doesn't do it well, and the lack of proper open areas just makes it even worse.
-Minsk Pocket, just a camp fest and too narrow, but not awful.
-La Gleize Breakout, possibly the laziest map ever, but I guess it's still fairly interesting so not too bad.

personally I think the new Staligrad is playable for both sides and it forces a different play style. I'm not sure how you find the Break out map dull, it is a fine mix of Urban and rural area to vary tactics on it
2 Nov 2014, 13:54 PM

I like Stalingrad simply because it is different. City warfare was a huge part of WW2, they formed the tipping points of the war and were often fought over for months on end. But this is hardly represented in this game. Here 90% of the maps are in rural areas or the outskirts of cities.
2 Nov 2014, 14:05 PM

The problem with Stalingrad is that it really favours the allied side.
2 Nov 2014, 14:09 PM

The problem with Stalingrad is that it really favours the allied side.

And... Long ranged maps don't favour the axis...?
2 Nov 2014, 14:28 PM

And... Long ranged maps don't favour the axis...?

Brilliant deduction, Watson!
2 Nov 2014, 14:28 PM

Considering that most of the Axis players veto Stalingrad I don't see why the map can't be switched to just custom games.

Relic does seem to be trying to introduce some new maps at least and with the new mod tools drawing in some modders this might be the first step to Relic allowing some player made maps into the competitive pool.
2 Nov 2014, 15:34 PM

You know making good, balanced city maps can be possible, but Stalingrad isn't part of these maps. PPSH and Flamer heaven map shouldn't be in the automatch.

The rest of the 1v1 maps are meh...hope they'll fix them before adding more.
rly
2 Nov 2014, 21:25 PM

Angoville and Sturzdorf were great maps. Miss them a lot :/
2 Nov 2014, 21:39 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

Personally I hate langres and crossing in the woods because all of the games on those maps turn out exactly the same. They have the big divide down the middle (the river or hedges) that divides the map and often turns into a stalemate with each side controlling their half of the map, too weak and dug in to hold anymore of the other side. I would much rather play an interesting map like stalingrad than one of those.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★