Login

russian armor

Concerns about observer mode

29 Oct 2014, 12:50 PM

So, observer mode grants you the possibility to enter in a live game and see in real time what players are doing and how.
Suppose I have a friend that watch my live game and meanwhile he's on TeamSpeak or Skype with me. What if he will give me tips about enemy build and incomming attacks? About where my opponent has its units? About building order and start buildings? And so on.....
Wouldn't this be.... cheating?!
29 Oct 2014, 12:54 PM

Don't worry JohnnyB .. obs mode isn't OP.

There is a 8 min delay.
29 Oct 2014, 12:56 PM

Don't worry JohnnyB .. obs mode isn't OP.

There is a 8 min delay.

Really? <444>_<444>
29 Oct 2014, 12:58 PM
Donator 33

There's an 8min delay. You can disable it in custom games but if cheating is a concern then leaving the delay on seems like an easy fix.

No delay is probably useful for friends/clans practicing so observers can prompt the players with relevant questions to get them thinking about how they can play better.
29 Oct 2014, 14:09 PM
Patrion 15

I've not used it but there also appears to be an option in custom games to set a "No delay password" so if there was going to be a referee then they can have no delay but anyone else would have one.
29 Oct 2014, 15:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Oct 2014, 12:56 PMJohnnyB

Really? <444>_<444>

Yes really there is an eight minute delay.
29 Oct 2014, 16:54 PM

Permanently Banned
Do some research b4 making pointless threads
29 Oct 2014, 16:56 PM

5 mins delay in ranked (cant be changed) and in custom it's probably from 0 to 10 mins (can be changed)

29 Oct 2014, 17:10 PM

5 mins delay in ranked (cant be changed) and in custom it's probably from 0 to 10 mins (can be changed)

son, did you smoke too much weed again ? :D

it was said many times before: automatch delay has a fixed 8 min delay. costum games have an option to set it anywhere between 0-15 mins
29 Oct 2014, 17:14 PM
Honorary Member Badge

at one point early on it was 3 minuites standard though you can set it to whatever you want in custom games.

so apparently its been increased this is good thing. :)
29 Oct 2014, 17:23 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post29 Oct 2014, 17:14 PMWiFiDi
at one point early on it was 3 minuites standard though you can set it to whatever you want in custom games.

so apparently its been increased this is good thing. :)

This is not* a good thing. :)

3 minutes is more than enough.
29 Oct 2014, 17:29 PM

right cause mines just vanish after 3 min... and what difference does it make to you if its 3 or 8 mins? i just dont get it, sorry
29 Oct 2014, 17:30 PM
Honorary Member Badge

more i think about it 5 minutes seems good. 8 is probably to much.
29 Oct 2014, 17:54 PM

son, did you smoke too much weed again ? :D

it was said many times before: automatch delay has a fixed 8 min delay. costum games have an option to set it anywhere between 0-15 mins

I do not look at every post... son :snfBarton:
29 Oct 2014, 19:51 PM

The current time is 8 minutes, Relic mentioned that if that seems too long they might lower it to 5 minutes. Really as some have mentioned the only thing that would really be affected in the match is a mine or demo that hasn't been hit after 8 minutes in...

Which can happen, but most 1v1 and 2v2s have action and unit repositioning at least once a minute, so any "cheat data" would be horribly useless.
29 Oct 2014, 20:33 PM

right cause mines just vanish after 3 min... and what difference does it make to you if its 3 or 8 mins? i just dont get it, sorry

Since 8 minutes is a horribly long time in CoH2. 3 minutes would be perfect, it would give you a better feeling that it is actually "live". Since you don't seem to care about how long the delay is, would it have been better for you if Relic just automatically uploaded the replays of each game instead of creating the observer mode? It would probably have saved them a lot of effort when people like you don't care about when a game is taking place.
29 Oct 2014, 20:40 PM

Since 8 minutes is a horribly long time in CoH2. 3 minutes would be perfect, it would give you a better feeling that it is actually "live". Since you don't seem to care about how long the delay is, would it have been better for you if Relic just automatically uploaded the replays of each game instead of creating the observer mode? It would probably have saved them a lot of effort when people like you don't care about when a game is taking place.

You can set it to 0 in custom games for tourneys so the stream is actually live. To be honest I wasn't even expecting observer mode to be implemented in automatch. I think 8 minutes is fine. I for one look forward to spectating my friends' games a lot while chatting in teamspeak.
30 Oct 2014, 00:28 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

The only issue that I see with the delay (8m is fine... better to err on the side of caution when you're showing all automatch games to everybody, which is awesome, btw), is when you are trying to follow a player. When I did my casting marathons, I would often find Aimstrong or Korean Army playing automatch, and I would enjoy streaming 3 of their games in a row. Having to wait 8m before the next game was kindof a bummer for my stream marathon. I wonder if a "follow player" option could exist, where it automatically starts getting the data when they go into their next game.

I don't mind being 8 minutes behind (how would I know how far behind I am, anyway?). But I do mind having to wait 8m between each game when I'm following a player. Right now I'm just thrilled to have this new feature... and am not very bothered at all about the little rough spots.
30 Oct 2014, 00:39 AM
Benefactor 115

The only issue that I see with the delay (8m is fine... better to err on the side of caution when you're showing all automatch games to everybody, which is awesome, btw), is when you are trying to follow a player. When I did my casting marathons, I would often find Aimstrong or Korean Army playing automatch, and I would enjoy streaming 3 of their games in a row. Having to wait 8m before the next game was kindof a bummer for my stream marathon. I wonder if a "follow player" option could exist, where it automatically starts getting the data when they go into their next game.

I don't mind being 8 minutes behind (how would I know how far behind I am, anyway?). But I do mind having to wait 8m between each game when I'm following a player. Right now I'm just thrilled to have this new feature... and am not very bothered at all about the little rough spots.

Actually the 8min delay has nothing to do with that...if they went from a game directly to the next you'd experience no idle time. Your idle time is exactly the time it takes them to be matched with an opponent and load the game.
30 Oct 2014, 00:43 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

Maybe you're right. Don't have much experience with it yet. The delays seemed long... but that might have had more to do with the small search pool in the beta.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★