Login

russian armor

Increasing infantry upkeep would reduce spam

28 Oct 2014, 19:49 PM

I have a few ideas with 3 variations:

1) One solution to do this could be to increase infantry upkeep to prevent excessive infantry spam
2) Increase the upkeep of upgraded squads with schrecks, PPSh, LMGs and the such.
3) both of these

Why?

Because currently even making 10 basic infantry squads (volks, conscripts, grenadiers) has nearly no impact on your upkeep and you don't need to worry about it. That's one of the reasons why it's so effective to spam infantry. By introducing more upkeep there would be a downside to this, currently there's hardly any downsides to infantry spam. This should also apply to excessive support weapon spam.

It could be done in a way that having too many units of the same type/class (basic infantry / support units) would cause extra upkeep. This way we wouldn't get a situation where a good combined arms army would receive a huge upkeep penalty because it consists largely of different types of infantry units.

Basically this would bring more strategic depth to the game and make it far more interesting instead of facing the same volks, PPSh or LMG gren blobs every game. At the same time it would improve the skill factor and competitiveness of the game. At least in my opinion.
28 Oct 2014, 19:55 PM

Original DoW had something like this. All it did was pigeon hole players into making the same kind of armies.

I have no problems with support weapons getting a large-ish pop count increase though.
28 Oct 2014, 19:56 PM

Permanently Banned
I think we need to look at the upkeep impact of Heavy Tanks before we try to resolve spam issue. But the idea of increasing popcap/upkeep of upgraded squads isn't a bad idea...
28 Oct 2014, 20:36 PM

Volks are the only ones currently problematic because they reliably counter both infantry and tanks.

Increase their pop-cap and people will still build plenty because they're good at what they do.

Conscript spam and Gren spam both have reliable counters in armor.
29 Oct 2014, 04:29 AM

The bigger problem here I think is in manpower upkeeps/reinforcement costs not being proportional to how powerful the unit is. For example, the captain for the USF requires 50 manpower per reinforcement. I would rather have another rifleman with 2 bazookas than pay 50 to 200 manpower to reinforce the squad back to full every time.
29 Oct 2014, 05:00 AM

Why do people keep bringing up the same suggestion of increasing upkeep on units to prevent spamming. The best way to reduce spam is too discourage players from spamming through proper tactics and gameplay like making combined arms triumph over spamming, not dumb rules like increasing upkeep on units that appear more often. It's just a lazy idea to stop spamming it's not a good gameplay feature and it just doesn't make sense.

Things like machine guns too prevent infantry spam and snipers to prevent machine gun spam, and infantry to ward of the snipers but it doesn't really seem to work that way at the moment because Relic's weird balancing decisions.
29 Oct 2014, 06:26 AM

The bigger problem here I think is in manpower upkeeps/reinforcement costs not being proportional to how powerful the unit is. For example, the captain for the USF requires 50 manpower per reinforcement. I would rather have another rifleman with 2 bazookas than pay 50 to 200 manpower to reinforce the squad back to full every time.

50mp is only for lt/cptn model. All other members cost 25 I believe.
29 Oct 2014, 08:59 AM
Patrion 27

Riflemen can't "Supervise" the building of units giving them build times almost as fast as Soviet Industry like the Captain can. He also has On Me at vet 1 to break suppression and unlocks other tech without having to unlock Bazookas. Riflemen and Captain are apples and oranges.
29 Oct 2014, 09:57 AM

Obviously. I'm just saying that none of this worthwhile for how much manpower you spend.
29 Oct 2014, 10:31 AM

y u want to reduce me? am i too much?
29 Oct 2014, 11:01 AM

10 squads does not give significant upkeep? It's 90-105 manpower/minute upkeep. Pretty significant.

I don't see the point of increasing upkeep on basic infantry. Out of all the cheeses, that one is the easiest to counter.
nee
29 Oct 2014, 19:37 PM

The less units we have in a regular match, the more reason to call this game Platoon of Heroes.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★