Login

russian armor

General tweaking of the vetting system

27 Oct 2014, 18:45 PM
Donator 11

In the beta relic tweaked vet on AT guns so they gained less vet as they were becoming too powerful very quickly. It's a good way to go as in opinion of many players (including me) units get vet too easily (even in standard 30 minute 1v1 matches on the and usually all units are vet3, that should not happen as those units should excel instead of becoming basic vet3 troops), but I belive it's not exactly the best way.

We could increase vet the amount of xp needed for a vet on every unit but that solution has a big disadvantage: some units, like american riflemen for example need vet 1 to show their full potencial,other like conscripts get some unused abilities so they need to get vet1 just to start saving xp for their actual vets. Basically vet1 is a vet0 in coh2, while vet0 is like vet-1, as most units just loose some of their abilities when they are not vet1 (like on vet1 they are "normal unit" and on vet0, "inferior unit").

That is why I believe that vetting system should not be linear. It should as hard as it is now to get vet0-vet1 promotion, but there should be a huge multiplier on higher vets (for example 3) so that you would need triple the xp value to get vet1-vet2 promotion and 9 times more to get vet2-vet3 ones.

That way you will need over 4 times more xp to get your unit to vet3 and it could be awarded with higher, or more interesting vet bonuses. Or the bonuses could stay as they (then the multiplier should be more like 2 maybe) but it will still prevent having all units at vet3 at the and of the game what is just boring. It will also be kind of nerf to OKW faction which could keep its insane bonuses but will have to work harder to get those.

Also think of it as natural effect of improving the units with vet, they are better, can kill deal more damage, so they can acheive higher vet requirements.

I would like to hear all comments, improvements and possible multiplier values.
27 Oct 2014, 18:54 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

I like the current veterancy pace for most units. The issue is just that a few units are too slow or too fast or don't benefit enough from their veterancy. So I think the better solution is to balance the current system than to redesign it.
27 Oct 2014, 18:57 PM
Donator 11

I think vet comes too quickly and infantry doing vehicle damage vets crazy fast.
27 Oct 2014, 19:02 PM
Donator 11

I'm sure it's easier to tweak the current system, and this is huge advantage of it but the system that allows to get vet in such an easy manner ends up with units that get less and less significant vet bonuses from one ballance patch to another and that makes gameplay really flat. If you've played the original coh2 beta you can see that all the units had much more significant vet bonuses back then, the same happend to doctrinal units, and same slowly begins to happen with WFA added units.
27 Oct 2014, 19:05 PM

It would definitely be cool if you could choose which vet bonuses you would want to award your units. Like Civ 5 where you could specialize units and shit. Then you could build a specialized army and give each unit character and shit depending on how you wanted each specific unit to perform.

But that would take wayyyy too much work.

Be sure to buy Ardennes Assault: We swear this time will be different! Again!
27 Oct 2014, 19:09 PM
Donator 11

It would definitely be cool if you could choose which vet bonuses you would want to award your units. Like Civ 5 where you could specialize units and shit. Then you could build a specialized army and give each unit character and shit depending on how you wanted each specific unit to perform.

But that would take wayyyy too much work.

Be sure to buy Ardennes Assault: We swear this time will be different! Again!

Your idea is also great! And what is better relic has experience in implementig such system as PE used it in vcoh.
27 Oct 2014, 19:09 PM
Honorary Member Badge
Benefactor 115

skill treez! Politically correct romance subplots! All three mass effect endings! RPG elements!
27 Oct 2014, 19:12 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Oct 2014, 19:09 PMRomeo
skill treez! Politically correct romance subplots! All three mass effect endings! RPG elements!

Maybe AA will have 8 endings? Kappa

Basically I will support almost every idea thet will conclude in diverifying coh2 gamplay as it is way to repetitive right now.
27 Oct 2014, 19:22 PM

GUYS THIS ISN'T COH1. WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS (STOMPS COH1 DOCTRINE SYSTEM)!!!!!!!!
27 Oct 2014, 19:33 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Oct 2014, 19:22 PMNinjaWJ
GUYS THIS ISN'T COH1. WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS (STOMPS COH1 DOCTRINE SYSTEM)!!!!!!!!

I really didn't want it to beacome a "vcoh was a lot better" discussion. I belive that coh2 is a great game but still can be much better so we, as community, need to give the guys at relic ideas on how to improve it.
and
27 Oct 2014, 19:39 PM

Tbh I think that veterancy has some ridiculous effects on gameplay.

Like, if just one guy makes it out of your squad, you get to keep the bonus for all your reinforcements AND are able to reinforce cheaper than the price of a new squad.

Basically I think there is way too much focus on keeping your "squad" alive, and you are punished excessively if you get wiped for some random reason. This punishment is on top of any unfavourable trades you already made on the battlefield.

I think instead veterancy should awarded on a model/soldier level and not the squad.
27 Oct 2014, 19:55 PM

I really didn't want it to beacome a "vcoh was a lot better" discussion. I belive that coh2 is a great game but still can be much better so we, as community, need to give the guys at relic ideas on how to improve it.

I was just joking around. I do agree with Romeo. I think the current system is okay, but some useless abilities and OP vet changes need to be reworked.
27 Oct 2014, 19:57 PM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Oct 2014, 19:55 PMNinjaWJ

I was just joking around. I do agree with Romeo. I think the current system is okay, but some useless abilities and OP vet changes need to be reworked.

I do realize it was a joke but such joke still somewhat changes what people are discussing, just wanted to prevent instead of having to cure ;)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★